Star Trek

A general discussion forum, plus hauls and silly games.
andersonh1

Re: Star Trek

Post by andersonh1 »

I've been re-watching Voyager and reached the third season episode "Unity", which shows that the Picard writers didn't get everything right, as you noted. One of the main characters among the ex-Borg that Chakotay finds himself encountering is a Romulan physician, meaning the Romulans on the Artifact were not the only ones ever assimilated (a claim that seemed unlikely on the face of it). In light of Picard's focus on the xBs, which we certainly see quite a few of in Unity, it's interesting the writers missed or chose to contradict an episode that would fit right in with their storytelling.

I'm curious to compare Seven of Nine's original writing and performance with what we saw in Picard once I reach those episodes. She's obviously much more reserved emotionally in Voyager than the twenty-years older version from Picard, but it'll be interesting to compare and contrast other differences.
andersonh1

Post by andersonh1 »

Speaking of Voyager, Garret Wang and Robert Duncan McNeill have started a Voyager rewatch podcast. Pretty good so far, and I'm enjoying the stories the two have about filming and their opinions of various scenes and story choices. It makes a change from fan discussions!

https://the-delta-flyers.captivate.fm/
Sparky Prime
Supreme-Class

Post by Sparky Prime »

andersonh1 wrote: Wed May 06, 2020 10:48 am Speaking of Voyager, Garret Wang and Robert Duncan McNeill have started a Voyager rewatch podcast. Pretty good so far, and I'm enjoying the stories the two have about filming and their opinions of various scenes and story choices. It makes a change from fan discussions!

https://the-delta-flyers.captivate.fm/
I'm looking forward to checking this out.
Sparky Prime
Supreme-Class

Post by Sparky Prime »

CBS has announced another new Star Trek series in the works for their All Access app...

Star Trek: Strange New Worlds
The series will follow Captain Pike, Science Officer Spock and Number One in the decade before Captain Kirk boarded the U.S.S. Enterprise, as they explore new worlds around the galaxy.
Unfortunately...
The series premiere was written by Akiva Goldsman with the story by Akiva Goldsman, Alex Kurtzman and Jenny Lumet. Goldsman, Kurtzman and Lumet will serve as executive producers in addition to Henry Alonso Myers (The Magicians), Heather Kadin, Rod Roddenberry and Trevor Roth. Aaron Baiers, Akela Cooper and Davy Perez will serve as co-executive producers. Akiva Goldsman will remain an executive producer and a key part of the creative team on Star Trek: Picard as well. Strange New Worlds will be produced by CBS Television Studios, Secret Hideout and Roddenberry Entertainment.
On the one hand, I'm happy they finally listened to the fans. Pike in Discovery was the best thing about the show if you ask me, so it's great to see a series that focuses on Pike's time as captain of the Enterprise. But I have zero confidence in these writers/producers after the mess they've made with Discovery and Picard.... And would make this yet another prequel series, which since Enterprise, Star Trek has not handled very well.
andersonh1

Post by andersonh1 »

I watched the free first episode of Lower Decks. It's not as funny as it thinks it is, and animated series with swearing and nudity don't appeal to me anyway. It's pretty much exactly what I thought it would be, given what we've seen so far from CBS All Access Star Trek.
Sparky Prime
Supreme-Class

Post by Sparky Prime »

andersonh1 wrote: Sun Aug 16, 2020 1:49 pm I watched the free first episode of Lower Decks. It's not as funny as it thinks it is, and animated series with swearing and nudity don't appeal to me anyway. It's pretty much exactly what I thought it would be, given what we've seen so far from CBS All Access Star Trek.
I watched it as well. And yeah, there's a lot of jokes that just do not land. Like, why is it funny that the lower ranks have to sleep in cutouts in a corridor? I get they're meant to be the underappreciated officers that always get stepped on by the senior staff, but come on, that's over the top. Especially when, while other series have shown us some of the crew have to share quarters, everybody still had quarters. Even on a tiny ship like the Defiant that explicitly didn't have any comforts of other starships, everybody still had quarters.
JediTricks
Site Admin

Post by JediTricks »

What a toilet fire! It tries to be the Rick & Morty of Trek, but there's not a single funny joke and the premise is so wildly strained as to lose its point. It feels like it's written for studio execs and nobody else. It feels like more Trek written by people who skimmed TNG a few minutes before going to the writer's room, the music is painfully generic, there's just no heart, and it doesn't understand anything about what it's commenting upon.

It really contrasts poorly with what The Orville does right.
See, that one's a camcorder, that one's a camera, that one's a phone, and they're doing "Speak no evil, See no evil, Hear no evil", get it?
Ursus mellifera
Supreme-Class

Post by Ursus mellifera »

JediTricks wrote: Sat Aug 22, 2020 10:40 amIt really contrasts poorly with what The Orville does right.
I hadn't realized what was bugging me about this, and that's it. The Orville does this well, and it bothers me to see it bungled when there's a current example of doing it well.
Check it out, a honey bear! http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kinkajou
Shockwave
Supreme-Class

Post by Shockwave »

Tried to watch Lower Decks yesterday. I quit watching half way through the second episode. The characters are obnoxious assholes who do whatever they want without thought of the consequences, which seem to just work out fine coincidentally, meaning they never really learn anything. And they shout, swear, and fight way too much. Boimler is a pedantic asshole who's not even good enough at that to pull it off. He's like Sheldon Cooper without the idetic memory or competency to back up his arrogance. The other ensign (I forget her name), is a loud, shouty asshole that constantly breaks the rules and apparently has done so on so many occasions that the only reason she's still in Starfleet is because her father's an admiral and her mom is captain of the ship. Yeah, you read that right, nepetism is a thing in Star Trek now. Yeah. The green lady is over enthusiastic about the stupidest shit. Yeah. Fuck this show, fuck everyone who makes this show, fuck everyone who's on this show, and fuck everyone who actually enjoys watching this show.

Fuck.
Sparky Prime
Supreme-Class

Post by Sparky Prime »

I found out in the season finale of Lower Decks, while the USS Cerritos is under attack by a group of Pakled ships... The USS Titan arrives to save them, with Jonathan Frakes and Marina Sirtis returning to voice Riker and Troi. I saw the clip on Youtube, and while they still make Mariner out to be this overly amazing officer that somehow Captain Riker owes a favor to... It's a good scene. It's actually kinda funny, and it's great to actually see the Titan on screen for the first time, saving the day to the theme of TNG. And I feel once again shows these producers have no idea what they're doing with Star Trek when the best parts of what they're doing involves bringing back established characters.

Also, it was announced Kate Mulgrew will be returning as Kathryn Janeway in the other Star Trek cartoon currently in development, Star Trek Prodigy.