Comics are Awesome III

A general discussion forum, plus hauls and silly games.
andersonh1

Re: Comics are Awesome III

Post by andersonh1 »

Detective Comics #968
"A Lonely Place of Living" ends with future Tim/Batman ultimately failing to kill Batwoman and avert the future that created him, which shouldn't surprise anyone. Hypertime is referenced in this issue for the first time in years, as Tim notes that time resists being changed, as he's trying to do. Activating Brother Eye almost allows future Tim to win, but he neglects a few bits of older tech and the sheer determination of Batman's team of allies, as well as the younger Tim. The older Tim vanishes into the future, warning Tim to enjoy his life now before it all comes crashing down.

Titans #17

Echoing Detective Comics, the Titans sees a bitter, angry, future Donna Troy/Troia brought into the past who tries to convince her younger self not to waste her life pretending to be human, but to accept that she's nothing but a weapon and that she's immortal, and that all her friends will die so she may as well kill them now and spare herself the pain. Young, black Wally West was drawn to the site of the older Wally's death, and discovers that the Speed Force is still active inside him, so he can't quite be dead, and the younger Wally is determined to resuscitate him. Most of the issue is a dialogue between the older and younger Donna while the Titans fight Troia's allies in the background.

Titans and Detective Comics essentially have the same plot this week. Planned or coincidence? I have no idea. One would think, given the overarching Rebirth storyline heading towards a conclusion that it's deliberate. And then over in Action Comics, Jor-El insists that there's no hope for the future either....

Action Comics #991
The Oz Effect seems to wrap up here, with a confrontation between Jor-El and Superman, where Jor-El decides that he has to save Superman and his family in spite of themselves, because he knows a disaster is coming that none of them can fight. It's mostly a verbal brawl, with one or two punches and Jor-El using the Kryptonite embedded in his face to weaken Superman. It turns out that the staff he's carried all this time was there to protect him from the effects of Kryptonite and to control him apparently, as he apologizes to Superman before a still unseen Dr. Manhattan takes him away and sends Superman back to his fortress. Yet again, someone close to the main character of a book is trying to convince him the future is hopeless. And it looks to me as if Manhattan has used both Superman's father to attack him and Batman's father to attack him, while other books use future versions of present characters.

The Oz Effect has been excellent, and obviously it's not over yet, with Jor-El a prisoner of Manhattan, and Manhattan himself still to be reckoned with.

Aquaman #30
Aquaman is self-contained, as Aquaman and Dolphin join with the resistance movement against King Rath, and Mera has somehow lost her ability to breath underwater by getting through the Crown of Thorns surrounding Atlantis. She's captured by King Shark who knows exactly who she is, while King Rath seems to be cracking up. Vulko returns Aquaman's trident to him, and the book ends with the rebellion getting ready to crank into high gear.

Hal Jordan and the Green Lantern Corps #32
I've been reading the main Metal book, though not all the one-shots, so I get the context of this issue, though I really should read the Dawnbreaker one-shot to get the full story. All the human Lanterns are back on Earth for reasons undiclosed, doing some work on Coast City, while Uncle Hal takes his nephew and niece flying. Cut to the present, and Hal is fighting the Dawnbreaker Bruce Wayne in a nightmare Batcave. Dawnbreaker absorbs light with his ring, so after getting knocked around a bit, Hal figures this out and commands the ring to strobe. And he's doing very well in fighting Dawnbreaker, until suddenly he's not. I assume the recreations of his enemies beat him. Great art by Van Sciver and a tough opponent give Hal a chance to cut loose and show how good he really is, and I always enjoy an issue where that happens.
andersonh1

Post by andersonh1 »

CBR has a nice review of Hal and the GLC which notes that Hal is the only hero who was remotely successful against one of the evil Batmen.

https://www.cbr.com/dark-nights-metal-h ... n-lantern/
Flash found himself facing off against the Red Death; Aquaman is at the mercy of The Drowned; and Wonder Woman dueled with The Merciless. Each fought a battle that was over before it even began. Barry Allen couldn’t hope to be as fast as his opponent. Arthur Curry succumbed to the agony and wrath of losing Mera. And a physically beaten Diana of Themyscira was dealt a stunning blow thanks to the arrival of the terrifying ghosts of deceased Amazons.

With Cyborg being tortured by the Batman Who Laughs and the Murder Machine in control of the Justice League’s satellite headquarters, Superman hopeless and Batman lost in the Dark Multiverse, every Leaguer was fighting a losing battle. Every one… except Hal Jordan.
While the other members of the Justice League succumbed to their fears and quickly fell at the feet of their respective evil counterparts, Hal reminded everyone, once again, why he is such a great and inspiring character. With willpower as his ally, Hal smiles in the face of the Dawnbreaker, quickly pointing out that he has no fear of the villain.
Sparky Prime
Supreme-Class

Post by Sparky Prime »

Spider-Men II #4
Following the funeral of 616 Miles Morales' wife, Kingpin attempts to comfort him by telling him his wife is technically still alive somewhere in another universe, a thought that comforted him after the loss of his own wife and fuels him. We find out this is what lead to Miles hiring the Taskmaster in the first place. He's had him seek out another universe, where his wife is still alive. Taskmaster tries to warn him while things are similar, it's not the same, but Miles refuses to listen and demands to be taken to see her in this alternate universe immediately. Despite such a heavy focus on 616 Miles Morales in this and the previous issue, I feel we still hardly know the character. Peter also tries to warn Ult. Miles to be prepared for disappointment if he meets 616 Miles, that the name could just be a coincidence. But I think Bendis is keeping something from us. 616 Miles also makes the mistake of not letting Taskmaster kill the unconscious Spider-Men, saying he's not going to fall into the same traps Kingpin always falls into and has Taskmaster just tie them up. Really? That's one of the most cliche super villain moves ever. The two Spiders escape a short time later.

Green Lanterns #35
Bolphunga arrives on Earth to duel a Green Lantern and faces off against Jessica. Simon's ring alerts him to back her up. When they corner him he finally admits he came to ask for their help. He'd been arrested by the GLC, but released when he made a deal with a pale alien. Now the payment for that favor is due, and come to find out, he's been tasked with killing his own father, whom he brought with him to Earth. The GL's contact John who tells them the story is BS and inform them to arrest him for violating his parole. Meanwhile, the pale alien has arrived on Earth to take Bolphunga's life for not fulfilling his end of the deal. This feels like it'll be a fun side storyline, but again we have hints of something bigger going on in the background which I feel are being under developed.
andersonh1

Post by andersonh1 »

Anyone have any plans to read Doomsday Clock? I still have never read Watchmen, so I'm wondering how the references to the original will go over with me.
Sparky Prime
Supreme-Class

Post by Sparky Prime »

andersonh1 wrote:Anyone have any plans to read Doomsday Clock? I still have never read Watchmen, so I'm wondering how the references to the original will go over with me.
I've been thinking about it. Although I haven't read the original Watchmen either. Seen the movie, but I know everyone says that doesn't do the original comic justice.
andersonh1

Post by andersonh1 »

Doomsday Clock #1
From the perspective of someone who has never read Watchmen, if it's anything like Doomsday Clock, I would have to say I haven't missed anything. Given what we know about the ideas behind the whole "Rebirth" storyline, that Dr. Manhattan is supposed to be responsible for corrupting the DC universe, the uber-grimness of the Watchmen world that he comes from as depicted in DC #1 is probably the whole point of the story. It feels like the very worst of 1990s comics, and given that Rebirth is a reaction against the darker aspects of comics in recent decades, again, it's probably the point of the story. But it's deeply unpleasant to read, and did not make me want to come back for any subsequent issues.

80% of the book is set in the Watchmen universe, with Rorshach looking for Marionette and Mime. He takes them to Ozymandias, who reveals that the four of them need to find Dr. Manhattan, who had departed for a simpler universe. The world is falling apart, and there's lots of clumsy and transparent commentary on present-day US politics, even though the story is set in November of 1992. The violence and profanity are in your face, far more so than in the average DC comic. And then the final few pages detail Superman having a nightmare about his parents death due to a drunk driver while he was at the prom with Lana Lang. He tells Lois that he doesn't think he's ever had a nightmare before.

As much as I've enjoyed DC since Rebirth began, and as much as I appreciate the the overall storyline that came out of the idea of Watchmen interacting with DC, Doomsday Clock did not win me over. Maybe fans of the original will enjoy this sequel/crossover, but I did not enjoy it at all. I won't be buying any further issues unless one of them is just pivotal to the overall plot in some way.
andersonh1

Post by andersonh1 »

Detective Comics #969
There isn't really a single plot in this issue so much as a collection of ongoing storylines. Tim reunites with Stephanie/Spoiler, the Victim Society is getting ready to move again, and the new mayor of Gotham is concerned about Batman and his "commando group"'s efficiency in rounding up criminals. Killer Moth, of all people, gets some good scenes. A decent, transitional, putting the pieces into place for the next story issue.

Hal Jordan and the Green Lantern Corps #33
I don't know a lot about the Controllers, so I had to look them up. They're cousins to the Guardians, fellow Malthusians once upon a time, which explains how they can capture not only Ganthet and Sayd, but also the (long absent!) Templar Guardians. FINALLY.... it's long past time we got some answers about this particular plot thread. We haven't seen these guys since New 52 GL #40 I believe, when Hal went renegade and the rest of the Corps were somehow sent into the previous universe. Maybe the Controllers did it to destroy the Corps? I hope we finally find out.

I don't have a lot of opinion about the child Xudarian GL. Seems like an idea that doesn't have a lot of shelf life. I really don't know where they're going with it.

Action Comics #992
Superman is looking for answers about Mr. Oz, who claimed to be Jor-El, and it's really driving him right now. Lois is having to cover for him at the Planet, because he's not going to work. He's not happy with the answers Kelex gives him, or the invasion of his privacy at the Fortress of Solitude. The story does something very clever which I don't think I've ever seen before. Superman contact Hal, and goes to Mogo to view a recording of Krypton's destruction, which the Corps has a record of thanks to Tomar-Re, who was GL of that sector why Krypton was destroyed. Superman even sees his ship leaving the planet. He's hoping to see another in case Jor-El escaped that way, but much to Salakk's surprise, the recording is corrupted, which virtually never happens. Hal thinks it's nothing, but Superman tells Hal what Bruce revealed to him, that time is broken. Both Bruce and Clark have now met their fathers, or men who claimed to be their fathers. At the end of the issue, a second nice plot twist occurs as Superman decides to use the Flash's cosmic treadmill to travel back in time to witness Krypton's destruction. He vanishes, and then Booster Gold appears to tell him not to do it... too late. GREAT issue, but then Action Comics has been consistently good month after month since the Doomsday story ended.
Sparky Prime
Supreme-Class

Post by Sparky Prime »

andersonh1 wrote:I don't know a lot about the Controllers, so I had to look them up.
Last time we saw them was when they introduced Larfleeze. They'd decided to set up their own Corps and were going after the Orange Lantern, but didn't realize it already belonged to Larfleeze and he killed them.... Or most of them I guess.
but also the (long absent!) Templar Guardians. FINALLY.... it's long past time we got some answers about this particular plot thread. We haven't seen these guys since New 52 GL #40 I believe, when Hal went renegade and the rest of the Corps were somehow sent into the previous universe. Maybe the Controllers did it to destroy the Corps? I hope we finally find out.
Yes, it is about time that we finally got some answers here. Seems odd they'd send the Corps to the previous universe (if they were the ones that did that) but it makes sense if they were trying to get the Corps out of the way to get to the Guardians.
I don't have a lot of opinion about the child Xudarian GL. Seems like an idea that doesn't have a lot of shelf life. I really don't know where they're going with it.
I find it interesting that Ganthet and Sayd are personally training her. Although I'm not sure why. They mention her age, but she's hardly the youngest GL we've seen before. Also, not sure how she was selected when over in Green Lanterns it was established the GL rings haven't been selecting new members due to a glitch in their programming...
andersonh1

Post by andersonh1 »

I only had an issue of Superman in my reserve list today, so I bought Dark Knights: Dawnbreaker. I enjoyed the GL issue where Hal fights him, so I thought I'd read the one-shot. Reviews to follow, but it's Ethan Van Sciver drawing, so you know the art is good at least.
andersonh1

Post by andersonh1 »

Batman: The Dawnbreaker
One of the metal tie-ins, giving us corrupted Batmen from the Dark Multiverse, this one details the night Bruce Wayne's parents died, only for a Green Lantern ring to choose him. When he tries to kill Joe Chill, the ring won't let him use lethal force, but his rage and emptiness and will are such that they break the ring, causing it to malfunction and allowing him to kill. And he does. He tries to resurrect his dead parents, but that goes horribly wrong and he abandons the attempt. Bruce becomes the Green Lantern of Gotham and murders criminals and costumed villains alike, and even kills Harvey Bullock and Jim Gordon. At last the Corps and the Guardians show up to retrieve the ring, but they are unprepared to deal with how warped Bruce and his ring have become, and how Bruce can absorb light, rendering them powerless. He slaughters them all, and still feels empty and alone and afraid. And then he's recruited by Barbatos and the Batman who laughs and taken to Earth-0, the main DC Earth, where he starts to plunge Coast City into darkness, only to run into Hal Jordan. My only real gripe here is how this issue and the GLCorps issue don't really fit together. I'm not sure how the events in that issue mesh with what we see here, and how quickly Dawnbreaker traps Hal in a lightless void, only for Doctor Fate to spirit Hal away while Dawnbreaker goes on a rampage in Coast City. Hal doesn't fare well here, going down quickly, which contrasts with his own series where he puts up a strong fight.

Superman #35 and #36

Imperius Lex continues, and issue 36 doesn't have the Rebirth trade dress at the top, but is apparently the new look for DC books going forward. Superman and Luthor try to avoid the residents of Apokolips who want to kill Luthor and enthrone Superman. Jon stops a bunch of dogs from being eaten because it grosses him out, and given that they're alien dogs with some intelligence, they respond with gratitude and help him. Heh. Superman and Luthor get away from the others, only to be attacked by Kalibak. Thankfully, at that moment Granny Goodness and her Furies arrive and a fight breaks out. Jon shows up with the Hunger Dogs as Kalibak puts out the fires at the heart of Apokolips. Of course it's chaos, with everyone against everyone. It's one big running fight scene as all the Apokoliptian inhabitants try to kill each other, Superman tries to stop the planet from breaking up, and Jon and Lois try to survive and protect Luthor, who's out cold. In a great sequence, Lois whips the Female Furies who try to lecture her on how she's weak. After the battle is finally won, thanks to the Prophet and others, Superman actually accepts the leadership of Apokolips rather than leave the planet in chaos, or at the mercy of Kalibak and Granny Goodness. He tries to set them on the right path, and though he's essentially ruling from afar, he sets them on the road to democracy and is "only a boom tube away".

It's an interesting situation for Superman. What else could he do but respond to an appeal for help by agreeing to do what he can? There's no way Apokolips will remain peaceful and hopeful indefinitely, but it's an interesting situation.

And on the unhopeful side, a few hard words between Superman and Luthor lead to Luthor ripping the S from his armor, apparently embittered enough to go back to his old ways...