Comics are Awesome III

A general discussion forum, plus hauls and silly games.
JediTricks
Site Admin

Re: Comics are Awesome III

Post by JediTricks »

Shockwave wrote:What I got out of it was that the chips essentially cause the troopers to view killing the Jedi as the right and moral thing to do. The reason the injured trooper was taken back to Kamino was specifically because of concern that he wouldn't blindly obey 66 if it was issued because his own morality would get in the way. If the new comic has troopers feeling remorse about it, that could have all sorts of implications. Do they feel remorse about others they have killed during war and if so, then this is probably just a regular part of post war guilt. If not, then it could imply that maybe the chips and their effects are breaking down over time. Or maybe there are just some of them doing that while most of them are still operating normally. I haven't read the current comics so you guys will have a better gauge on those implications than I do, but I just thought I'd add what I remembered from the CW show regarding the matter.
You are seeing my concern over this quite well. The troopers in SW Kanan talk about killing their general, Jedi Master Depa Billaba, specifically. They show no qualms about killing any living foes that aren't their Jedi leaders, and one of them isn't as concerned about it as the other. They talk about it as if it was a momentary thing, not an ongoing thing that's continued since; if it were due to the chip failing, that would be a huge deus ex machina, and one that was left unstated (this whole scene is through the lens of us, the reader, not Kanan who is reliving his memories in the rest of the issue).
See, that one's a camcorder, that one's a camera, that one's a phone, and they're doing "Speak no evil, See no evil, Hear no evil", get it?
Shockwave
Supreme-Class

Post by Shockwave »

Huh. Well that actually sounds pretty interesting and almost makes me wanna read it.

Also, now that I think about this, it couldn't really have been that momentary. There were a few Jedi deaths that were pretty quick and immediate, but we see a lot in Episode III regarding this. Commander Cody gives the order to fire on Obi Wan and then orders a drone to be sent to confirm his death. The troopers marching with Anakin into the Jedi Temple to kill the Jedi there had to be there for quite some time and are even shown to be using tactics like pretending to be Jedi when Yoda and Obi Wan come back. Not to mention the fact that they were still waiting for them there which implies that they were still following that order for some extended time, not just a brief flash or trance.

The other thing too is, we don't actually know what the actual order is. All we see is the Emperor saying "Execute order 66." The order itself is assumed to be kill the Jedi, but what if it's not? What if it's something more comprehensive? "The Jedi have attempted assassination and betrayed the Republic. They are now our enemies, kill them." This would also make more sense for some troopers to feel some remorse or at least question it to some degree later on as it would allow for troopers to wonder if maybe some Jedi weren't enemies, as they had still been fighting along side them moments before.

Again, I dunno. There's a lot there that isn't explicitly detailed but it sounds like SW Kanan is taking this and trying to either fill in some of the gaps or answer some of those larger question regarding the implications of order 66. Which again, sounds pretty interesting. So here's the big question: Is it good and would you recommend that I read it?
JediTricks
Site Admin

Post by JediTricks »

The issue doesn't make it interesting, it gives it a few lines and then one action based on that, so it's unfortunately not filling out the conversation, just creating waves and not worrying about the consequences.
See, that one's a camcorder, that one's a camera, that one's a phone, and they're doing "Speak no evil, See no evil, Hear no evil", get it?
andersonh1

Post by andersonh1 »

Green Lantern Annual #4
I don't really get the point of annuals these days. I suppose they're just an extra oversized issue that DC can make some extra money on, so that would justify their existence. They used to be for reprints, but that was a long time ago. In any case, this particular story fills in more details on how the law-enforcement vacuum left in the absence of the Green Lantern Corps is being filled, how Hal Jordan's legend is growing among those that he helps, and how Hal allow exaggeration of his feats in order to make criminals afraid of him, because he'd rather be feared. He tells a story about how he beat 8 Green Lanterns sent to find him, using the power gauntlet and beating them to within an inch of their lives, threatening to kill them if they tried it again. But Virgo has observed enough of Hal's character to question the brutality displayed in the tale, and Hal confides in him that while the encounter did occur, he did the bare minimum to win against his former comrades. He's content to let his exploits be exaggerated. Meanwhile he's being hunted by a group of lawmen who are just one of many staking out a territory. And then there's a scene where the gauntlet taps into Hal's subconcious and creates images of Kilowog and the others, and Hal is genuinely remorseful that he's not with them all, sharing whatever hardships they're enduring.

I wonder just how long this story is going to run with Hal turned renegade. It feels like they're setting things up for a long storyline, but we've all read how things are supposed to snap back to the status quo. Not that I"d mind getting Hal back into the corps and into uniform. I guess we'll see how things play out.
Dominic
Supreme-Class

Post by Dominic »

Who is writing "Green Lantern" now? Does it look like DC has a direction they are going to stick with for this book?

The local comic shop handed out lists to regular subscribers yesterday. The lists includined auto-added series, and other books that subscribers may want to add to their pull-lists. I ended up dropping two of the auto-added series, and adding 8 or 9 "All New, All Different Marvel" series. The end result of this is that my pull-list will drop from over 20 *Marvel* series to maybe 15 series in total (counting DC and IDW). Of course, I plan to cut that number back as well.

At this point, I do not have a single series left from my "original" pull-list (when I changed to my current store) 4 years ago. And, unless one counts the Bendis "Iron Man" series as a continuation as Gillen's run, I have little (if any) continuation from two years ago. On the other hand, Marvel has me looking at an X-title and a Spider-series.

I am likely to go back to "trades only" for "Injustice". I like the series well enough. But, I prefer reading it as compilations.
Sparky Prime
Supreme-Class

Post by Sparky Prime »

Dominic wrote:Who is writing "Green Lantern" now? Does it look like DC has a direction they are going to stick with for this book?
Robert Venditti is the current writer. And I don't think the current direction will stick around for long... I'm thinking Hal will be rejoining the Corps some time shortly after they return.
andersonh1

Post by andersonh1 »

Sparky Prime wrote:
Dominic wrote:Who is writing "Green Lantern" now? Does it look like DC has a direction they are going to stick with for this book?
Robert Venditti is the current writer. And I don't think the current direction will stick around for long... I'm thinking Hal will be rejoining the Corps some time shortly after they return.
I think the current storyline in both books was supposed to last a long time, but I get the feeling that editorial or corporate will be cutting it short.
Sparky Prime
Supreme-Class

Post by Sparky Prime »

andersonh1 wrote:I think the current storyline in both books was supposed to last a long time, but I get the feeling that editorial or corporate will be cutting it short.
Yeah, I get the feeling it was supposed to last longer as well but with how they've pulled the plug on so many storylines it makes me think they'll be returning to status quo sooner rather than later.
andersonh1

Post by andersonh1 »

Looks like the "Lost Army" storyline will continue. That's good news. I'm not sure why DC is approaching it this way though.

http://www.blogofoa.com/2015/10/tom-tay ... to-go.html

"Green Lantern: The Edge of Oblivion is the direct follow up to Green Lantern: Lost Army, telling the story of the Green Lantern Corps trapped in the universe before ours in the days leading up to its inevitable collapse. Tom Taylor is no stranger to the Green Lantern universe having written several Lantern centric issues of Injustice: Gods Among Us and Ethan Van Sciver, well, if you don't know the name you're likely here by accident."
Sparky Prime
Supreme-Class

Post by Sparky Prime »

Really don't see the point of ending Lost Army, just to relaunch it as Edge of Oblivion. Still, good to know that story will be continuing, even if it will only be a 6 issue mini-series I assume just to wrap it up.