Comics are Awesome III

A general discussion forum, plus hauls and silly games.
Sparky Prime
Supreme-Class

Re: Comics are Awesome III

Post by Sparky Prime »

Dominic wrote:They were supporting cast in a secondary title that had been cancelled for several years.
They where her parents, one of which being the original Spider-Man himself. That's a little bit more significant than just any old supporting characters, even if the title hasn't been around in a while.
BWprowl wrote:Hey, an encyclopedia page on the subject is definitely more water-tight than vague memories of blurbs. Besides, you were the one asserting that the series were linked, so burden of proof and all that. But gimme a second here, I owe you an apology.
Wikipedia isn't even close to being a water-tight source considering anyone can edit it nor is it an official source itself, not to mention it doesn't say anything on the subject anyway. That's less information than vague memories (which wasn't so vague considering I was right about it).
Sparky Prime
Supreme-Class

Post by Sparky Prime »

Marvel teases THE END Ultimate Universe event for Summer 2015.

Marvel's Ultimate line has been dwindling lately. Since the line's last relaunched with just 3 titles, the Future Foundation series was canceled not long ago and it was just revealed the All-New Ultimates series will be coming to an end in January, at which point Miles Morales: Ultimate Spider-Man will be the last of the Ultimate titles in production. It will be the first time since the Ultimate line originally launched in 2000 that there will only be one Ultimate title as well. This isn't the first time Marvel has teased the Ultimate line coming to an end, only to relaunch it. However, the line isn't as strong as it used to be anymore either. The End might actually mean it's the end of Marvel's Ultimate universe.
BWprowl
Supreme-Class

Post by BWprowl »

And given the Spider-Verse event, it's possible Miles will just end up folded into the 616 universe along with some of the other Alt-Universe Spiders (Miguel's going back to 2099, so there'll be a slot open!).
Dominic
Supreme-Class

Post by Dominic »

The Ultimate brand has run its course. It was Marvel's attempt to modernize and develop media friendly properties. But, they are now doing that in 616. Several of the original "Ultimate" creators have migrated to mainline Marvel books. (Maybe Marvel heard one of the common complaints about the Ultimate brand a decade ago, and realized that maybe it does make sense to put their best talent on mainline, rather than secondary, books.)

They where her parents, one of which being the original Spider-Man himself. That's a little bit more significant than just any old supporting characters, even if the title hasn't been around in a while.
It is not "the regular Spider-Man". MC2 Peter Parker is a variant of the regular Spider-Man that showed up in a secondary book that had few ties to the main book even before it was cancelled.
Sparky Prime
Supreme-Class

Post by Sparky Prime »

Dominic wrote:The Ultimate brand has run its course. It was Marvel's attempt to modernize and develop media friendly properties. But, they are now doing that in 616.
Really, I'd have to say the Ultimate Universe never recovered from the Ultimatum event from a few years ago. It has limped on, but been on a downward spiral ever since. And with the cinema-verse using so many ideas from the Ultimate universe, they've been slowly incorporating those elements into the 616 universe to better align the story for readers brought in by the movies. Really doesn't seem to be a reason for the Ultimate Universe to continue anymore.
It is not "the regular Spider-Man". MC2 Peter Parker is a variant of the regular Spider-Man that showed up in a secondary book that had few ties to the main book even before it was cancelled.
It's close enough. A variant of the regular Spider-Man is still a version of the regular Spider-Man. The MC2 universe is just an alternate future of the 616 universe, that had more than just a "few ties" to the main book.
Sparky Prime
Supreme-Class

Post by Sparky Prime »

2015 is going to be the year of events for Marvel with how many old and new events they've announced... The latest one: Spider-Man: Renew Your Vows. The image teases Spidey with Mary Jane and a daughter.
Dominic
Supreme-Class

Post by Dominic »

Well, I guess we know why MC2 May is likely to get killed. (Personally, I am looking forward to "Time Runs Out".)

"World's End" week one:
On my way home from work today, I dropped "Earth 2". The first week of "World's End" was bad enough (complete with sloppy and capricious back-writing) that I could not bother waiting to give weeks 2 and 3 a chance. The final nail in the coffin was revealing that Al Pratt survived getting beaten with his own recently severed arm. Why the hell did they bring him back....for a house-cleaning series? Picked up weeks 2 and 3. Week 4 is in my full file. Likely stuck until week 8 or 9. Will be purging this book after buying the last issue I am obligated to.
Grade: F
Last edited by Dominic on Sat Nov 01, 2014 12:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Shockwave
Supreme-Class

Post by Shockwave »

Dominic wrote:Well, I guess we know why MC2 May is likely to get killed. (Personally, I am looking forward to "Time Runs Out".)

"World's End" week one:
On my way home from work today, I dropped "Earth 2". The first week of "World's End" was bad enough (complete with sloppy and capricious back-writing) that I could not bother waiting to give weeks 2 and 3 a chance. The final nail in the coffin was revealing the Al Pratt survived getting beaten with his own recently severed arm. Why the hell did they bring him back....for a house-cleaning series? Picked up weeks 2 and 3. Week 4 is in my full file. Likely stuck until week 8 or 9. Will be purging this book after buying the last issue I am obligated to.
Grade: F
First, Mattel figured out how to force people to buy toys with their subscription service and now your comic shop can force you to buy comics by doing the same thing? I'm sorry, but it should be flat out illegal to be able to force consumers to buy discretionary items.
Dominic
Supreme-Class

Post by Dominic »

Comics, like most anything else, are ordered in advance. Those books effectively ordered by the customer (me in this case). Nobody forces the customer to make an order.

And, the store I buy from is generally pretty easy going about people putting back issues of a comic they dropped. But, they are a larger store, so it can take a few weeks to process a "drop" order. It will sort through by Thanksgiving or so.
BWprowl
Supreme-Class

Post by BWprowl »

Dominic wrote:Well, I guess we know why MC2 May is likely to get killed. (Personally, I am looking forward to "Time Runs Out".)
"Time Runs Out" is already infuriating me with its annoying "Gabbo!"-esque hype campaign, us knowing basically nothing about it save for "It's an event!". Though I suppose we can reasonably guess that this is the Crisis on Infinite Marvels event that the writing is on the wall for (This week's issue of 'Inhuman' had Maximus all but pointing out that the sky was turning red).

Am kind of annoyed that Peter and MJ are getting back together after Slott made such a big (and good) point about her getting away from him at the end of 'Superior Spider-Man'. Wonder how much longer Slott's going to be on Spider-Man, or if 'Spider-Verse' is going to finally end his run.
revealing the Al Pratt survived getting beaten with his own recently severed arm.
Every single part of this sentence is a different reason to hate comics.