DC movie universe

A general discussion forum, plus hauls and silly games.
andersonh1

Re: DC movie universe

Post by andersonh1 »

138 Scourge wrote:Anderson, I'm kind of surprised you liked Man of Steel. Admittedly, I haven't seen it, but it looked so damn grim from the previews and whatnot.
It had some grim moments, but it had some optimistic ones too. My favorite scenes are where Superman learns to fly, and I could have done with more scenes like that where he just enjoys what he can do. Overall, I thought it was generally pitched pretty well when it comes to tone. I really enjoyed it. My main gripe is having Superman kill Zod at the end. I didn't enjoy seeing the writers put the character in that corner. At least they had the good sense to have him clearly anguished over what he'd done.
Onslaught Six wrote:I can agree that I'd have been more interested in a John Stewart movie. I always liked the fact that he was a straight-laced military man, which made him a perfect fit for the Lantern Corps. If I were doing it, I would have cast Reynolds as Kyle Raynor, and skipped over Hal Jordan entirely, but I was never really a fan of Hal to begin with. Just seemed like, to me, every other Green Lantern was more interesting. (Who could play Guy Gardner?)
Hal is my favorite, by far. I like John and Kyle, can't usually stand Guy Gardner, and don't have much of an opinion about Simon Baz other than "why does he exist when we already have four human GLs?" He seems redundant.

If we get a Hal movie, I'll go see it. If not, I'll probably skip it. I suspect we will. DC seems to view the Silver Age characters as the default versions that most people know, despite having decades of success with other versions. So Barry Allen is the Flash, Barbara Gordon is Batgirl, and I'd be surprised if they don't produce another Hal Jordan GL movie. But I could be wrong.
I could write a novel on what I didn't like about MoS, and a short paragraph about what I did like.
There's honestly very little that I didn't like about Man of Steel.
Shockwave
Supreme-Class

Post by Shockwave »

I'd be in for a John Stewart movie featuring John Stewart from the Daily Show.
BWprowl
Supreme-Class

Post by BWprowl »

Shockwave wrote:I'd be in for a John Stewart movie featuring John Stewart from the Daily Show.
That's Jon Stewart, not John Stewart. It's easy to get confused.
Shockwave
Supreme-Class

Post by Shockwave »

BWprowl wrote:
Shockwave wrote:I'd be in for a John Stewart movie featuring John Stewart from the Daily Show.
That's Jon Stewart, not John Stewart. It's easy to get confused.
You still gotta admit that would be hilarious.
138 Scourge
Supreme-Class

Post by 138 Scourge »

Be funnier if Jon played Hal and someone else played John.
Dominic wrote: too many people likely would have enjoyed it as....well a house-elf gang-bang.
Onslaught Six
Supreme-Class

Post by Onslaught Six »

The thing that confused me the most about the 2001 Justice League cartoon was that everyone was using each other's first names. Which is fine! It's a great concept and humanizes them in a good way.

Except with John Stewart and Jonn J'honnz running around, there were two Johns, and in 2001 I didn't know or care who Green Lantern or Martian Manhunter was, so there was a lot of confusion. (Subtitles make everything better.)
BWprowl wrote:The internet having this many different words to describe nerdy folks is akin to the whole eskimos/ice situation, I would presume.
People spend so much time worrying about whether a figure is "mint" or not that they never stop to consider other flavours.
andersonh1

Post by andersonh1 »

At least with the Martian Manhunter, a lot of times they'd pronounce his name something like the French pronunciation of Jean, "Zhonn" or some such thing, so there was a little difference between his name and John Stewart.
BWprowl
Supreme-Class

Post by BWprowl »

Onslaught Six wrote:The thing that confused me the most about the 2001 Justice League cartoon was that everyone was using each other's first names. Which is fine! It's a great concept and humanizes them in a good way.

Except with John Stewart and Jonn J'honnz running around, there were two Johns, and in 2001 I didn't know or care who Green Lantern or Martian Manhunter was, so there was a lot of confusion. (Subtitles make everything better.)
I've only seen a handful of JL episodes (yes I'm a terrible person and I need to just watch the whole thing), but I thought they circumvented that by calling MM 'Jonn' and referring to Stewart as 'GL' in casual conversation?
Almighty Unicron
Supreme-Class

Post by Almighty Unicron »

If I put the effort into making up a cool name and badass costume for myself I'd want people to call me by my superhero name.
BWprowl
Supreme-Class

Post by BWprowl »

Almighty Unicron wrote:If I put the effort into making up a cool name and badass costume for myself I'd want people to call me by my superhero name.
To be fair though, Stewart didn't do any of that; the powers and costume and name were literally assigned to him.

I've always been fine with superheroes on teams calling each other by their real names in-fiction. It communicates a sense of camaraderie, familiarity.