SWTF Falcon looks SO much better without top cannon

Ancillary, non-main-line stuff. Star Wars TF, Speed Stars, Titanium Series, Robot Heroes, that sort of thing. They're kinda neat, but we all know they're not really that important. Admit it, you know it's true.
JediTricks
Site Admin

SWTF Falcon looks SO much better without top cannon

Post by JediTricks »

I've never found anybody who really liked the way the SWTF Falcon looks, it immediately gives a bad impression the second you see the vehicle mode, and of course the robot modes are um... yeah, better left unsaid. But recently I looked down at mine which remains in vehicle mode, and thought "why does that look so bad???"

I mean, sure the thickness gives it a chibi feel, and the cockpit's a little bloated, and the mandibles are a hair too small, but it should carry the look better. What was it that annihilates the look so badly?

Then it dawned on me, the 1 thing I've really hated about the design is that GIANT quad laser spring-loaded missile launcher on top, what the hell were they thinking? So I took it off, and put Chewie's bowcaster quad-cannon (yes yes, not really "quad") from the bottom and put it on top, and immediately this set came together nicely. I look at it now and it's a Falcon I can be happy to look at.

How could they use a gimmick like this which so badly hampers the look of the item and adds nothing of merit to play value?
See, that one's a camcorder, that one's a camera, that one's a phone, and they're doing "Speak no evil, See no evil, Hear no evil", get it?
Onslaught Six
Supreme-Class

Re: SWTF Falcon looks SO much better without top cannon

Post by Onslaught Six »

...I was under the impression the quadlauncher was the bottom weapon?

And I like the way the Falcon looks. It's great. I think it satisfied an age-old need in me to own a Falcon for some reason.
BWprowl wrote:The internet having this many different words to describe nerdy folks is akin to the whole eskimos/ice situation, I would presume.
People spend so much time worrying about whether a figure is "mint" or not that they never stop to consider other flavours.
onslaught86

Post by onslaught86 »

Yeah, I'm still surprised the Falcon gets such a good reputation compared to the regular SWTF figures. It's really one of the line's weakest entries. I absolutely love Chewie's headsculpt, and a few other bits 'n' bobs like the paint apps and the sheer concept, but the legoforming and oodles of wimpy clips hurt it a lot. As do Han's shoulders not moving forward when transformed correctly, the blue sides are supposed to face forward. Had to hack out some unecessary plastic chunks that were blocking them for it to be even halfway decent.

Mine's in storage, but I do recall taking the weapons off and enjoying it more. It's certainly better than most of the OT SWTF, with the Vaders being the notable exceptions. Mmm, Darth Star, totally redeems the larger scale. Man, I still want a Luke/landspeeder so badly. And a two-pack of scout troopers/speeder bikes that can ride each other.
JediTricks
Site Admin

Post by JediTricks »

Onslaught Six wrote:...I was under the impression the quadlauncher was the bottom weapon?
Oh god no, I have it on the bottom right now, the ship is sticking up in the air at a funny angle because the cannon is WAY taller than the landing legs.
See, that one's a camcorder, that one's a camera, that one's a phone, and they're doing "Speak no evil, See no evil, Hear no evil", get it?
Onslaught Six
Supreme-Class

Post by Onslaught Six »

JediTricks wrote:
Onslaught Six wrote:...I was under the impression the quadlauncher was the bottom weapon?
Oh god no, I have it on the bottom right now, the ship is sticking up in the air at a funny angle because the cannon is WAY taller than the landing legs.
It has landing legs?
BWprowl wrote:The internet having this many different words to describe nerdy folks is akin to the whole eskimos/ice situation, I would presume.
People spend so much time worrying about whether a figure is "mint" or not that they never stop to consider other flavours.
onslaught86

Post by onslaught86 »

Uh, yeah. Really obvious hinged ones, too. Almost all the SWTF stuff does, s'one of its best features. Even the Death Star has legs.
Onslaught Six
Supreme-Class

Post by Onslaught Six »

Shit. I'll have to dig him out when I get home.

(Awesome, I can say shit on here. Take that, censorship!)
JediTricks
Site Admin

Post by JediTricks »

The landing gear on the Ep 2 Jedi Starfighter TF is the only movie-accurate version of the rear legs of any toy, even LEGO.
Dominic
Supreme-Class

Post by Dominic »

Onslaught Six wrote:Shit. I'll have to dig him out when I get home.

(Awesome, I can say shit on here. Take that, censorship!)
Well, you really do not need swears to be profane.

For example:

I love how you smell when you are afraid, and right now you smell really good. I want to make you weep, so that I can bathe in your tears.
See, not one swear word. ;)

And, that is what SWTF makes me think of.

Dom
-has actually left that sort of message on friends' voice mails.
onslaught86

Post by onslaught86 »

...You want to bathe in the tears of mecha piloted by SW characters? Now 'that' is profane.