Hasbro took away SWTF minifigures!!!

Ancillary, non-main-line stuff. Star Wars TF, Speed Stars, Titanium Series, Robot Heroes, that sort of thing. They're kinda neat, but we all know they're not really that important. Admit it, you know it's true.
JediTricks
Site Admin

Hasbro took away SWTF minifigures!!!

Post by JediTricks »

I didn't believe it when someone told me on my Star Wars board, but I checked out the new packaging today and no figures could be found. What the hell? I know Dom will be happy because he's a killjoy, but these are Mechs, part of their cool is having cockpits with figs inside! So very lame.
See, that one's a camcorder, that one's a camera, that one's a phone, and they're doing "Speak no evil, See no evil, Hear no evil", get it?
onslaught86

Re: Hasbro took away SWTF minifigures!!!

Post by onslaught86 »

Yeah, I saw that, was looking at the packaging shots with Nevermore. Half of them are Canadian versions, hence having an arrow instead of saying "[x] to [y]". Also, Grievous and the Tie pilot have their names the vehicle names reversed compared to all the others. Odd.

But back on track, WHAT THE HELL.

I can understand why they'd do such a thing, since that'd tie the 'Crossovers' line together with the non-piloted Marvel figures (Which are supposed to be mecha anyway..somehow). This hurts, and this hurts a lot, since SWTF are designed to be piloted mecha and have extensive engineering toward that very purpose. How weak would the Gunship be without its awesome troop carrying abilities?

Had they started designing new figures without the pilots, that'd be fine, but as-is, the three new moulds are clearly intended to have them. They're leaving out a hefty chunk of the toy's cool factor by omitting the pilot. It's like..the first two years of G1 again. Hahahah, nostalgia.
Also note that the Ep2 Anakin Starfighter uses the same headsculpt as the Ep3 one. This is the first SWTF figure I have zero desire to own, and I own every single other one except the Vader Starfighter (Which I still want. Any leads on that?).

Sucks, I like SWTF a lot, this'll kill the concept for me. Although I guess I can just swap pilot figures.
Dominic
Supreme-Class

Post by Dominic »

I could have sworn the new ones had pilots.

I do not see how this makes the line worse though.

Dom
-tempted to use Saesee Tin in a kitbash.
onslaught86

Post by onslaught86 »

Toys specifically designed to have opening cockpits with pilot figures now do not have pilot figures. It gives the toys redundant features, and makes them unecessarily restricted by the gimmick they're no longer using. It's like manufacturing a car with no seats.
Onslaught Six
Supreme-Class

Post by Onslaught Six »

Or a Mega TF around a huge, non-existant soundbox.

Mind, this is slightly different in that even if they 'didn't' have opening cockpits and pilots, they would still be designed after Star Wars vehicles which, I'm pretty sure, all have canopies and cockpits and the like.
BWprowl wrote:The internet having this many different words to describe nerdy folks is akin to the whole eskimos/ice situation, I would presume.
People spend so much time worrying about whether a figure is "mint" or not that they never stop to consider other flavours.
JediTricks
Site Admin

Post by JediTricks »

Dominic wrote:I could have sworn the new ones had pilots.

Dom
-tempted to use Saesee Tin in a kitbash.
You be quiet, you have done nothing but flame this line since day one. :p

Most of the sets have a cockpit that slightly transforms, the seats change orientations or there's a second cockpit so that the characters can remain in a reasonable pilot stance when in bot mode. IMO, that's a clever little addition and it sucks to have the figs taken out. They had Action Fleet quality, helped fuel the imagination.
See, that one's a camcorder, that one's a camera, that one's a phone, and they're doing "Speak no evil, See no evil, Hear no evil", get it?
138 Scourge
Supreme-Class

Post by 138 Scourge »

I've only bought the one figure from this line (though, Bob help me, I will get Death Star Vader) so far, and I gotta say, the lil' Vader flying that Tie Fighter isn't the best part of the toy, but it is mighty cool. It is kinda lame that they aren't gonna be around anymore.
Dominic wrote: too many people likely would have enjoyed it as....well a house-elf gang-bang.
JediTricks
Site Admin

Post by JediTricks »

I've officially asked Hasbro about this in my official Q&A duties, so we'll have an answer to why on Friday the 15th.
onslaught86

Post by onslaught86 »

I expect it'll be a fluff answer along the lines of "We removed the pilot figures to bring the Star Wars Transformers in line with the new concept of Transformers: Crossovers, and future figures will be designed without the pilots in mind."

Won't stop me feeling cheated out of a TIE bomber pilot minifig.
Dominic
Supreme-Class

Post by Dominic »

I am betting the old "Action Fleet" pilots will become much more desired.

Dom