Fan Club Punch/Counterpunch

Ancillary, non-main-line stuff. Star Wars TF, Speed Stars, Titanium Series, Robot Heroes, that sort of thing. They're kinda neat, but we all know they're not really that important. Admit it, you know it's true.
Dominic
Supreme-Class

Fan Club Punch/Counterpunch

Post by Dominic »

David Willis has one. Apparently, the figure has problems.

As many people predicted, Fun Publication not publshing robot mode pics was indeed indicative of problems. The robot modes' heads are very small for the robot bodies. And, there are at least 5 accounts of the Counterpunch chest/roof not alligning properly.

Willis made no mention of problems with the hands. But, he may have missed them. And, even if his copy does not have such problems, we can likely expect more than a few cases of two rights and/or two lefts. This should be easy enough to fix using commonly available Red Alert figures.

Dom
-having terrible visions of BotCon Breakdown's hands going wrongly.....
138 Scourge
Supreme-Class

Re: Fan Club Punch/Counterpunch

Post by 138 Scourge »

Or, of course, should the two lefts/two rights really become a thing, I'm sure that there'll be some sort of exchange thread on TFW or at BotCons or something. I have no idea how many of us are getting that figure (Dom, maybe Mirage and Trekkie?) but I'd think that by the magic of the internet, this problem could be worked out.
Dominic wrote: too many people likely would have enjoyed it as....well a house-elf gang-bang.
Dominic
Supreme-Class

Post by Dominic »

Mine is sitting at Lewis'. No QC issues reported.

The fact that we are assuming swap threads for these at all, (based on precedent no less), kind of illustrates the problem. When paying exclusive prices for rare toys, we really should not have to worry about missing parts and mis-assembled toys.

Dom
-oi, Breakdown.
Mirage
Gestalt Combiner

Post by Mirage »

I've been pretty damn tolerant of, and even apologetic for, FunPub in the past, but they're really pushing my buttons these days. This, on a $60 figure?! Screw this. They need to make the factory make good on this, produce some new (bigger) heads, then ship them out separately to everyone who bought a toy. Lord knows they're easy enough to pop on and off. This and the half-assery that went into conceiving this year's con exclusives, the debacle with the online registration, and... GGRRRAAAARGGHH! :x NOT a happy camper.
I disappear.
Dominic
Supreme-Class

Post by Dominic »

TF is definitely a secondary thing for Brian Savage. I will defend him when it comes to really outrageous attacks. (He is not to blame for Thundergate. The was all Hasbro. And, there is nothing sinister about him having two different mailing addresses for his home and business.)

But, half-assery is the name of the game with his TF product. He cranks out piles of expensive exclusives through different channels and puts no real effort into any of them. Sometimes, (usually with simpler toys like Astrotrain), it works. Other times, it fails. He then farms out work to some of the more...stereotypical....fans, resulting in stuff that is wanky and half-assed, (expected to be carried simply by virtue of being Transfanny), at a conceptual level. ("Ohhhhhh, look, G2, with G2 symbols. Teh NOM NOM NOM NOMZ!!!!!")

Dom
-is this a bad time to offer to split that boxed set I ordered?
Onslaught Six
Supreme-Class

Post by Onslaught Six »

Dominic wrote:-is this a bad time to offer to split that boxed set I ordered?
Not at all, been meaning to email you about it. I has money that I can stash away.
BWprowl wrote:The internet having this many different words to describe nerdy folks is akin to the whole eskimos/ice situation, I would presume.
People spend so much time worrying about whether a figure is "mint" or not that they never stop to consider other flavours.
Shockwave
Supreme-Class

Post by Shockwave »

In a case of two left/two right fists, that would be a problem, but swapping them from one arm to the other is easy enough without modding. I have the Botcon set on order and plan to mold the Breakdown head, if anyone winds up needing fists, I can mold those too if someone does wind up with two of the same fist. I do not have Punch/Counterpunch ordered so I'd have to get one in order to mold a head for it.
Dominic
Supreme-Class

Post by Dominic »

Onslaught, check your inbox and then *email* me.

Correctly moulding a Punch/Counterpunch head could be difficult. Iit is a relatively small piece with moving parts. And, I am given to understand that resin can be very fragile in certain shapes and at certain scales.

Dom
-dammit, Breakdown better be perfect.
Shockwave
Supreme-Class

Post by Shockwave »

I successfully molded Laserbeak's head and neck assembly so I can't imagine P/CP would be that much more difficult. Even Hasbro uses resins for plastic, it's part of the process. I use a 2 part epoxy because it's easier for me to work with at the volume with which I'm using it. The end result though should be something comparable.
Dominic
Supreme-Class

Post by Dominic »

Hmmm......

A friend of mine was complaining that resin is more fragile than normal plastic. But, if you can make it work...hey.

Dom