Power Core Combiners: Mysterious new line?

Ancillary, non-main-line stuff. Star Wars TF, Speed Stars, Titanium Series, Robot Heroes, that sort of thing. They're kinda neat, but we all know they're not really that important. Admit it, you know it's true.
andersonh1

Re: Power Core Combiners: Mysterious new line?

Post by andersonh1 »

Dominic wrote:I have not seen a JRX in about 8 years. But, I recall it being somewhat forced. I planned, but never managed, to get one. But, I was not super in love with it.
I've got the RID version, and it's a nicely designed combiner. The combined mode hands and head are integrated into Railspike, and there's very little kibble when the three figures are combined, apart from the hip armor. I think the individual robot weapons clip together to make a single gun for Rail Racer. About the only flaw is that Midnight Express has extra large legs and feet since he forms the lower portion of the combined mode.
Dominic
Supreme-Class

Post by Dominic »

Okay, Gomess, Trekkie and Prowl, y'all asked for it. I am saying it here for the record.

You asked for it. I have sent e-mails and texts to dissuade you from this. But, you are all adults and I will not take responsibility for you or your mistakes. Welcome to the world.

Dom
-never once endorsed what they are doing.
Shockwave
Supreme-Class

Post by Shockwave »

For the record, I consider trading a PCC set for a Micromaster combiner (even a knock off) to be a trade up. Dom, you'll see what I mean when you get the Combaticons.

Shockwave
-This saves me having to return it.
138 Scourge
Supreme-Class

Post by 138 Scourge »

Shockwave wrote:For the record, I consider trading a PCC set for a Micromaster combiner (even a knock off) to be a trade up. Dom, you'll see what I mean when you get the Combaticons.

Shockwave
Dude, no lie, you are seriously getting a fantastic deal. And Dom's getting kind of screwed, but he's getting screwed for a low, low price, so that's something.

The Construction guys are boss. Even in knockoff form. I loved 'em so much I wrote up a long, long review of 'em back on the old boards.
Dominic wrote: too many people likely would have enjoyed it as....well a house-elf gang-bang.
Shockwave
Supreme-Class

Post by Shockwave »

I am a sucker for Constructicons, don't really know why. I had the G1 colored Universe 1.0 version of them and thoroughly enjoyed them. Kinda sucked when I had to sell them. I think Dom considers it a good deal just to be able to get rid of them, I'm using the opportunity to allow him to experience first hand that there really are worse combiners now.
BWprowl
Supreme-Class

Post by BWprowl »

Trekkie, I know you have a lot of hate for the PCCs, and while I can't yet say if I agree with you that they suck, it mostly seems to stem from the fact that the limb drones don't have individual robot modes. While I agree that this smacks of (recurrent) laziness on Hasbro's part with Combiners, I think I should point out that the PCCs are hardly the first gestalts to do this. BW Neo Magmatron did this before it was fashionable, and Energon Optimus Prime was practically a prototype for this line. Then there was last year's Supreme Devastator set, which cost a hundred bucks, and wasn't even as poseable as the PCCs (and the PCCs at least have one fully transformable component). So in their (marginal) defense, the PCCs at least seem to be some of the better attempts at this sort of thing (which should be super-easy, but there ya go). If anything, they're comparable to the G1 Duocons, which had two vehicles without individual robot modes snapping together to auto-transform into robot components. So I guess if you thought of the PCCs as Pentacons or something, they might seem a little more tolerable.

Not really a favorable comparison though, as the Duocons sucked in pretty much every way possible.
Shockwave
Supreme-Class

Post by Shockwave »

That's pretty much it. The drones. I really just don't like TFs without bot modes. I don't really see how this line is going ot work unless they start releasing the drones separately so that you're not just limited to what comes in the 5 pack, but I can't really see a bunch of TF toys without bot modes flying off of the shelves if packaged alone. I will say that it does have good poseability in merged mode though.
Dominic
Supreme-Class

Post by Dominic »

Trekkie, Prowl, I got your messages.

Trekkie, for the record, I would be really uncomfortable accepting a more or less brand new toy for a knock-off, even if I did not acquire said knock-off in an end of the day plunder-run at BC07. (Dude, if you contact me in July of '07, you could have been army building these.) Seriously, I would almost rather have AM/SG Thundercracker than an actual copy of the Sic-builder team. (They suck really hard-core.)

Prowl and Trekkie, you guys pay shipping, and you are probably over-paying. But, hey.

Gomess, I ain't gonna chase you on this.

That said, I have seen a few of the commander class figures. The Minicons are nice. The over-use of clear plastic is irksome. It gives the figures a sort of Microman style quality. But, it also looks kind of half-arsed. That said, the moulding is very nice, and delivers on much of what I wanted from Minicons back in '02, and lends itself nicely to customizing.

Given that the Minicons, Commanders and drones are (not apparently), gang-moulded, it is save to assume that there will be plenty of recoloring and repacking in the near future. Drones without Commanders would be little more than accessories though. I do not see those selling well unless they at least have a MInicon in the package with them. And, even then, that would border on being an accessory pack.

I am getting the same impression from PCC that I got from "Armada", ambitious ideas and designs that need a bit more refining.

Dom
-lots of customizing fodder here....
138 Scourge
Supreme-Class

Post by 138 Scourge »

Dominic wrote: Given that the Minicons, Commanders and drones are (not apparently), gang-moulded, it is save to assume that there will be plenty of recoloring and repacking in the near future. Drones without Commanders would be little more than accessories though. I do not see those selling well unless they at least have a MInicon in the package with them. And, even then, that would border on being an accessory pack.
Yup, that's about right.

The bad news? Even though Huffer looks pretty Motormastery in black, especially with the Menasor head, they elected to do something different than the Menasor homage.

I'm just waiting on the dino set, myself.
Dominic wrote: too many people likely would have enjoyed it as....well a house-elf gang-bang.
Dominic
Supreme-Class

Post by Dominic »

I could see calling Crankcase "Overlord". The face and colors would still work. But, Crankcase? I smell a fading copy-right here.

I suppose that puts my Menasor custom back on the table.....

Those Protectobots look like tuchus.

The Destructicons have some interesting bits. (I might just grab them for custom fodder to use with some fo the Rally bots for that Menasor I am going to likely do.)

That Decepticon plane with axe looks nicely appealling.

Dom
-so much for skipping this line.