Iron/Spiderman Combiner

Ancillary, non-main-line stuff. Star Wars TF, Speed Stars, Titanium Series, Robot Heroes, that sort of thing. They're kinda neat, but we all know they're not really that important. Admit it, you know it's true.
shinobi77
Protoform

Iron/Spiderman Combiner

Post by shinobi77 »

DON'T GET THEM!!!

*ahem*

Yeah, I got these, all excited like, how awesome the bomber looks on the package, and thinking that I'm sure the "Armored Assault" was just a goofy transformation that could be snazzed up, etc.

Boy, if this isn't a case of the pictures revealing only the good side........

so, to start, I will list the good things.

1)

2)

3) Spiderman has a decent bot mode, but he is basically weaponless. If someone wanted to fiddle, would probably do well as Vortex for a Bruticus kitbashing.

4) Unlike some of the other Marvel Crossovers, these two generally have some pretty tight joints, problem is, their kibble has no place to clip, so it just flops.

5) launchers do shoot relatively decently, but, mine have a hair trigger.

Okay, so those were the good parts, sadly to say I'm very disappointed for all the hype of these guys. I might be able to come up with one or two more "good" things about them, but man, it hurts to think on it right now.

So, that brings me to tearing them apart.

First off, can you "Knock off?" I mean, sheesh, I've had Knock offs that felt more solid with quality of plastic.

Detail, while there "are" panel lines of sorts, they don't seem to compliment the figures much. Spidey is the better of the two here, but, his details are mismatched. One spot you have pure mech bits, detail, form, and all of a sudden, you have more cyborg type tubes....hard to expalain, but, prime example is his head. Nice tube like detailing on his neck, could almost pass for tendons or muscles even, and they go.........nowhere. The way the head is mounted, it just goes to this blank plate.
Iron man just kinda looks, well, Meh. His greatest detail is the hips and legs. Where they look the most "mech-ish". While, like I said, he does have lines molded in him, they are so blah, that unless your eyeball is right on top of him, you don't notice anything.

Lesse, maybe shift focus a bit, I guess I'll go with each figure seperately instead of bashing the set.

Spidey,

His bot mode looks kinda beefy, but, with his head being so mismatched, it detracts from it. It has the webbing lined into him, but, in bot mode, its hard for it to make any sense. What bothers me most about him, is that, he has no weapons, none, not even something to look like a web launcher. He has some pretty neat vents hear and there, and of the two, has the better detail lines, but to me, in general, he feels like a throwback. the tail of the chopper is his arms, which, by the way he transforms, makes you think they are gonna pop off, or don't turn in such a way, which they are supposed to actually.
the tail rotor folds back along his fore arms, ala, BW Galvatron, except, they don't clip, so they hang there, loose, and do nothing. His shoulders spread apart, so give him a bit beefier look, like a wedge of cheese on hips almost, but, the webbing lined into it, just makes it seem almost too busy, or like it doesn't belong there. It might be that the spacing between the webbing is so small, where, on spidey himself, the web on his suit doesn't cluuter his chest and such, its broken up by the blue.

I guess, two of the worst things, are his fists. And that's what they are, no peg holes, no weapons, not even a sword, or even a hand pose to shoot webbing. Just bricks of plastic at the end of his arms.
The other, are his shoulders, I almost have a feeling that they were swapped, mismanufactured. They don't quite match up to the arms to allow the arms to be pushed in smoothly for chopper mode. That, and they have very limited swivel capability, his arms can come up about shoulder level before they almost pop off at the shoulder.

The legs, the legs are probably the best part, really mech and transformery looking, tubes, panels, the whole enchilada. I mean, I really like his legs, my only complaint would probably have them one side be a bit flatter so they could sit side by side a bit better.
The major problem with his legs, is well, they turn into these ginormous pylon, jet booster, somethings.....almost like they took the engines off a 747 and strapped them under a Super Cobra. Except, like I said, he is completely unarmed, no web slingery-ness anywhere.
His Chopper blades are obscenely floppy, and the rotor "shaft" as it were, is very loose as well, doesn't always want to hold up to support the blades.
As I mentioned before, his arms don't quite match up with the shoulders, so they tend to droop, as well as not want to stay clipped together in chopper mode.
And I think I said this, did I mention the lack of weapons? The package states how "Unstoppable" they are seperated, and become even stronger together..........um, may I ask how? no bombs, , and the only other guns are from the rotor blades jutting out the front, and even then, they look more like running lights vs lazers, blasters, or whatever.....
not to mention the cockpit under neath is totally hollow, the are no flaps to hide anything, just a hollow cowling and that about it.......
And I guess I'm just really unimpressed with the orangy red its made out of, the blue looks decent, but with the red its with, it kind hurts the eyes......
I do have to say at least, except for the fold back tail rotor floppiness, the mold in general is pretty tight, no miscelaneous panels falling off.
I think if they had dome something a bit better with his legs, would have made this figure a better alt mode.....this whole thing is cursed by his legs.........more later

so, now, Eye Ron Mon......um....boy....looking at him to hardly makes my eyes hurt, that yellow is just ripping out my retina, I think I'm going to have yellow flash blindness....
well, he is posable, except with his wings, and they way they need to be positioned for him to take any dynamic poses, makes him badly backheavy, and he has a small footprint, so you have to lean him forward a bit as he is.
and that yellow, did I say that yellow makes a coward look brave?

*ahem*

One of my chief complaints about this guy, is his head, I mean, I know Ironman doesn't have facial features really to speak of, but, from more than a close inspeaction, he remind you of a pool ball, or bowling ball.......the paint app on it is subpar on mine, doesn't quite match the panels that are there
The other, again, is his hands. While they are decently detailed with what look like joints, you can't tell much, unless, again, you pop off your eyeball and stick it on his hands, and, they are stuck in eternal "strangle grip". Basically shaped as a "U" with one side shorter (his thumb)
The do turn, as they must for transformation, and even have his power beam palm sort of painted in there.......and that's another thing. His powercore instead of having any sort of detail are just the really goofy shade of grey? blue? purpley lavender? Closest color I could get too would maybe be condensed milk that got too old?........

He does have hip swivel, but.......because of his back heavy, it's almost useless without support, he goes from this nice meaty upper body, like he means business, to these almost two dimensional legs. They are flat, and I mean really flat. He generally makes me think of a football (U.S.) player with his pads on, but no jersey, and forgot his pants, and is in heels. Yes, he has cowboy boots pretty much for feet, and because of this, he is very unstable, and to flip out his feet, you almost feel like you're going to break them...
oh, and did I mention he is basically weaponless? other than the palm ports, which almost remind you of screws instead of beams.......and they are nothing to write home about...

you ask "what about his launchers?" Yeah, they do come off, but, they have two small pegs, much like G2 Pred launchers, micro pegs, and really have no where to mount, other than the wings.

Can you tell I'm not impressed with these guys? :evil:

so, alt mode...the infamous flying wing......oh, and did I mention the yellow?
while I am milding impressed that he does hold together, he remind me more of a Macguyver plain, a little bit here, a little bit there, add some chewing gum and viola, a flying wing.....um, no, we have a mismatched looking vehicle that other than the launchers, doesn't really look armed at all for being a bomber...I mean, they didn't even mold in anything that could remotely resemble it being armed, very few of the panel lines match up, looks like someone hit polygon in paint and started laying them whereever almost.....
When I first saw him, I saw what looked to be silver vent just behind the cockpit, and well, they do, but they go back into......???????
I mean, his knees are glaringly staring out the back of this thing.....and while, most complaints of any jetformer is the bot kiddlbe underneath....well...on this guy, there isn't really anything hand down, other than the combiner clip, and I use that term loosely. More on that later.

anyways, his bottom, has nothing, no gear, nothing.....looking at him dead on front, you could think, maybe, this is something not to mess with......from the top, it feels like he's missing something, prolly because most flying wings don't have this big "mass" blatantly hand off the back.
Looking at the bottom, just makes you want to tilt your head like a confused dog, wondering why they couldn't have added a couple panels to hid the obvious arms/elbows and legs.
Looking from the side, still makes you wonder why you should fear this thing, oh, and something seems to be missing......but at least the yellow isn't ready to bite your optical nerve out.....

and the back....well....sucks, from his arm nacells you can see his strangle fits glaring at you, and his knees inside a bear trap barrel looking thing, .......

I mean, I could understand an alien ship or something......as the whole crossover thing is based on "alien" technology, buts its like they didn't even TRY to hide anything, makes me feel like they took a perfectly good Ironman suit, slapped oversized wings on him, then hogtied him.......arms and legs tied behind his back....poor mech....

so......get the point yet? No? Time to get graphic....

Combined modes.

Combined you say?

Why yes, they combine!!!!!!! Imagine, all that suckiness I mentioned before, and pile it all together.

Just so you know, in both combiner modes, you do nothing, yes NOTHING to ironman "jet" (term used loosely here) except split his wings. Yep, complicated transform there.....
oh, and remember the "clip" I mentioned earlier? Yep, plugs into the back of spidermech...........

okay, I gotta stop for a moment.....this whole set wreaks, reeks, reaks? of "lets put a clip on this as an after thought, drill a hole on spidey, and market this as a combiner"......my reasons as follows...

The clip itselt looks like an afterthought, like it was molded seperately and shoved into Ironman's torso.....and the matching hole on Spidey, notched in after wards.

In "super assault mode" It's basically Spidermech bending over a bit and covering his head with a sack......

In "mega bomber mode" It's basically Ironwing riding something that might have a tail and holding a hanky over its nose.....

or, more precisely, SAM looks like Spidey getting humped by a overzealous jet and is so ashamed he puts a bag over his head,

and bomber is a helicopter of sorts getting humped by a overzealous jet, but, is returning the favor by doing some weird kama sutra reverse double jointed cowgirl thing......
Yeah, I put it in a different color, to MAKE you visualize the travesty of this set.

It single handedly has to be the worst attempt at a combiner since........I'm stumped.....

oh, and did Imention the only weapons this alleged super bomber has are the launchers that can't be moved anywhere else?

I think the only reason I haven't returned this set, is that I had really hoped I could at least kitbash it into something salvagable......and I don't want to prove myself wrong......

but, anyways, to make a short story long, unless you really are a completist, or just a rabid fan of crossovers, avoid this set like the plague. This set makes you feel like you just caught something from the crack whore down the road after a sandpaper condom being used.....
Definately an instance where the photographer did a great job in making me even think I wanted this thing......wish I could break down Habsor exec's door and break their kneecaps, steal there MISB G1 bots, and melt them down into Giant Super Bombers........
JediTricks
Site Admin

Re: Iron/Spiderman Combiner

Post by JediTricks »

Yikes, that sounds pretty bad when you put it that way. DvD's review had me thinking the set was a little better, and that IM was the better of the duo. Guess I'll pass on this set too.
See, that one's a camcorder, that one's a camera, that one's a phone, and they're doing "Speak no evil, See no evil, Hear no evil", get it?
Dominic
Supreme-Class

Re: Iron/Spiderman Combiner

Post by Dominic »

Close inspection of the pictures on the back reveals some problems, but nothing on the scale of what Shin is mentioning.

Dom
-might wait for it to be marked down, and use it for custom fodder.