SWTF Magnaguard Fighter mini-view

Ancillary, non-main-line stuff. Star Wars TF, Speed Stars, Titanium Series, Robot Heroes, that sort of thing. They're kinda neat, but we all know they're not really that important. Admit it, you know it's true.
JediTricks
Site Admin

SWTF Magnaguard Fighter mini-view

Post by JediTricks »

This is the first SWTF I've bought in quite a while, I believe the last was Grievous' Starfighter in 2008.

Alt mode: this is an ok iteration of the Porax-38 Starfighter, which is somewhat of a generic, simple design. It's a little narrower, a little fatter on the wing, a few changes here and there, but basically is the one from the cartoon. There are 2 fold-down landing legs, very simple. The 3rd point is a sculpted peg on the underside. Fairly solid vehicle, could use more detail but adequate. Sports a missile-launcher on either side in place of the thinner laser cannon.

Transformation: love the legoformed guns, that kicks ass. However, the legoformed shoulderpads is a cheat it cannot get away with as easily. Once those are gone, it's a decent if rather generic transformation, but not unsatisfying.

Bot mode: face is creepy, not as accurate as I'd like but a good robot, would make a good Decepticon. Tall, lanky, minimal kibble, and a balanced robot body. Twin rifles fit well in each hand, but have no storage otherwise. Shoulderpad protrusions pull out and assemble into electro-staff which is nifty and the height of the figure. Figure looks odd without its shoulderpads, even though it's more accurate. There needed to be more detail here as well, or a cape. Feet fold up in back but groove to take in detail elements isn't long enough so it sticks back a little, still better than leaving it flat, nice addition. Elbow joints are cheap SWTF pegs which sucks. Articulation is fair, a little too variable in the shoulders for my tastes though, and could use more range in elbows and knees. Can kick super high at the hips though.

Overall: B (for SWTF fans); C- (if SW isn't your main focus)
I expected to like this figure, and it's ok but not quite as good as I hoped. Some stuff is quite cool, some is alright, some is standard SWTF let-downs. Nice accessories but no storage for 'em in bot mode. Legoforming is a mixed bag, but the shoulders are indeed a cheat. With a few better joints and less SWTF flaws, a little more detail, this would make an awesome mainline figure, but as it is it falls a bit short.
See, that one's a camcorder, that one's a camera, that one's a phone, and they're doing "Speak no evil, See no evil, Hear no evil", get it?