Thoughts on the new Target Titaniums

Ancillary, non-main-line stuff. Star Wars TF, Speed Stars, Titanium Series, Robot Heroes, that sort of thing. They're kinda neat, but we all know they're not really that important. Admit it, you know it's true.
andersonh1

Thoughts on the new Target Titaniums

Post by andersonh1 »

I've seen the three Target Titaniums in stores, and I like all of them. I haven't actually bought any yet, and given the $21 price tag, I may not get any of them, but they do look good. And two out of the three molds are some of the best from the line.

- Hot Zone: Looks like the old Botcon idea finally saw the light of day, albeit in Titanium form. This is the figure I'm most likely to pick up at some point. Hot Zone/Spot is a repaint of RID Prime, and it's a great fit for the character in both vehicle and robot modes.

- Thrust: good color scheme applied to my favorite Titanium mold. I've got Thundercracker and Starscream, and will probably get Sunstorm at some point. I think there's a Skywarp recolor too, correct? In any case, despite the lack of a conehead, Thrust looks great.

- Optimus Prime - this is the WW Prime mold, which has less than effective shoulders in the original version, and I doubt they've been fixed for this repaint. The colors are supposed to be based off of movie Prime, and I have to admit that even though it doesn't map exactly onto the mold, the color scheme does look quite good. WW Prime is a mold that is best kept in robot mode due to various transformation issues, so this may be one to buy and keep in package where it can look good despite the flaws.

I'd like to have all three, but the price increase is a big damper on my enthusiasm. Still, I'd probably recommend Hot Zone, followed by Thrust and Prime. I'm just glad to see more Titaniums, even if they are redecos.
138 Scourge
Supreme-Class

Re: Thoughts on the new Target Titaniums

Post by 138 Scourge »

Hot Zone is, in fact, completely rad. Well, completely rad as Titaniums go, y'know? Reviewed him up in the "Reviews" section as the first (and so far only) part of a proposed Titanium Review thread. So if you're that curious 'bout my thought on him...

Somehow I missed almost all of Titaniums when they were coming out and, of course, later got to really like the line. So I'm happy about these repaints. Wouldn't have minded if "The Fallen" had gotten a repaint here, you'd think it'd be a natural tie-in, but I won't mind picking up these other two, either.

It is kinda irritating, though, that we get the price increase and the display stand thing is axed, though. I mean, display stand, not a big deal, but still, five bucks more for less? :roll:
Dominic wrote: too many people likely would have enjoyed it as....well a house-elf gang-bang.
andersonh1

Post by andersonh1 »

I didn't know you had posted a thread, or I'd have just put my thoughts there. Sorry about that. Gotta get used to checking the review section before posting!

Maybe a mod could merge the two?
Mirage
Gestalt Combiner

Post by Mirage »

Given the glut of these (at least at my Targets) I think clearance is ineveitable. Just keep your eyes peeled...
I disappear.
138 Scourge
Supreme-Class

Post by 138 Scourge »

Mirage wrote:Given the glut of these (at least at my Targets) I think clearance is ineveitable. Just keep your eyes peeled...
Been thinking the same thing, myself. My Targets still have a bunch of 'em, too. And Target's notorious for the relatively fast clearancing of exclusives.

I mean, I think enough of these that I'd be willing to pay full price, but I wouldn't mind going lower, either, y'know?
Dominic wrote: too many people likely would have enjoyed it as....well a house-elf gang-bang.
BWprowl
Supreme-Class

Post by BWprowl »

I'll probably get Hot Spot at some point, he looks nice and I've heard good things about that mold. I'm also kinda tempted by Prime. Yeah I know, I've heard all the bad things about that toy, but I somehow just can't let it go. I wanted a toy of that design for so long... I'll at least wait 'til clearance though. They're cloggin up the shelves at my Targets too, so I'll agree that it seems inevitable. As for Thrust, it looks kinda nice, and I've got the Sunstorm version of the mold, so I know it's a good one. But... I'm a pretty big Thrust fan, and when they try to pass off a version of the character that has neither conehead nor turbines, that results in no sale to me.

I still want them to redo the Optimal Optimus mold as Optimal Megatron.
andersonh1

Post by andersonh1 »

Mirage wrote:Given the glut of these (at least at my Targets) I think clearance is ineveitable. Just keep your eyes peeled...
Good point. You're right, it's bound to happen sooner or later.
Shockwave
Supreme-Class

Post by Shockwave »

I have Thrust and Hot Spot (I refuse to call him Hot Zone). Hot Spot is cool, we never got the RID Prime version here in CA, so it's nice to be able to fiddle with the mold and the deco really works. I have consistently had problems with the seeker mold and this one is better, but still has problems. The thing just doesn't lock together well in vehicle mode. And the shoulders on my copy of Thrust were loose and didn't really stay in place that well. I really want to like the mold, but it's plagued with too many problems. It would work better if it wasn't die cast. Maybe.

Haven't even seen Optimus yet. Also with the TRU Titaniums last year, did anyone find Primal Prime and I forget what the other one was? I found Prowl and Grimlock but that was it.
138 Scourge
Supreme-Class

Post by 138 Scourge »

Soundblaster, I believe, is what you're thinking of. But as far as I know, Prowl and Grimlock were the only ones released. The "also available" images on the boxes...I dunno, but I'm guessing it was a holdover from when Prowl and Grims were gonna be mass release, and the other two guys were gonna be available. I think.
Shockwave
Supreme-Class

Post by Shockwave »

Soundblaster... that was it. Had Soundwave when he came out and quickly got rid of it. That thing sucked noodles.