Star Wars TF Magnaguard / Porax-38

Ancillary, non-main-line stuff. Star Wars TF, Speed Stars, Titanium Series, Robot Heroes, that sort of thing. They're kinda neat, but we all know they're not really that important. Admit it, you know it's true.
138 Scourge
Supreme-Class

Re: Star Wars TF Magnaguard / Porax-38

Post by 138 Scourge »

JediTricks wrote:
138 Scourge wrote:Also, the never-gonna-happen Jar Jar sub would be worth it to me because of the "Character almost nobody else loves" aspect.
I doubt it'll happen only because it's not "aggressive" enough, but it's not something outside the realms of possibility.
I just thought it'd never happen because there's like, five people who aren't George Lucas or the dude that played him that liked Jar-Jar. I mean, I love him, how could I not love a retarded dinosaur sidekick? He's a lot less irritating than Anikan Skywalker throughout the prequel movies, but I know I'm in the minority there.

"Mesa have a hole in mes heart thass ina the shape-a you! Don't-a let it turns into a scar!"
Dominic wrote: too many people likely would have enjoyed it as....well a house-elf gang-bang.
BWprowl
Supreme-Class

Post by BWprowl »

Hey, that's no reason to give up Scourge! I mean, they put out a Complete Collection of Energon on DVD, and I'm certain I'm the only one in the world who wanted that.
138 Scourge
Supreme-Class

Post by 138 Scourge »

BWprowl wrote:Hey, that's no reason to give up Scourge! I mean, they put out a Complete Collection of Energon on DVD, and I'm certain I'm the only one in the world who wanted that.
Hmmm...you make a good point. I mean, there's at least two people that'd buy the Jar-Jar sub!
Dominic wrote: too many people likely would have enjoyed it as....well a house-elf gang-bang.
onslaught86

Post by onslaught86 »

The BD that's an AAT tank? I really don't see it with that one, it's a massive shellmaster that ends up being just a shellmaster-bot with a battle droid head. It's on the shelves here right now, I think.
Haven't had a real good look at it, so it's a shame to hear that. As long as the kibble's stable I don't mind shellforming. Colours put me off, though, it's just made for a proper tan repaint. Does it actually have a cockpit in the design, or were Rex/Torrent the last to be designed for minifigs and not include 'em?
I've been passing on a lot of them without the figures, and the new pricing destroys the line.
Agreed.
What Legoforming is on the Grievous Starfighter??? I think you're mistaken there.
Gun forms a chunk of the underside that's essentially a third leg for the landing gear, it won't sit right on a flat surface without it, and that bugs me since it outright HAS to be removed for transformation. Doesn't fit in the cockpit either, heh. Stupid thing, I hate parts that have to come off for transformation. Doesn't kill the figure as much as the poor jointing in the arms does and the mangling of the sabers, mind. Real shame, as there's some great parts for that figure, I love the transform on the legs, the saber storage, and the alt. mode's awesome mod car styling. First Grievous was way better.

Also, the more I think about it, the more I feel bad for not calling Captain Rex/AT-TE out as a good fig. It's not great, the alt. mode's hurt by the static legs and the exposed robot fists, and it really really needed some minifigs to pop. Thankfully, I have a Rex minifig, and I really do like his robot mode. It's a bit unstable and the backpack's floppy, I just lost his damnable missile too, yet it's one I keep coming back to and messing with, and it's worth owning. Big and chunky, looks cool hanging out with Cody.

Just got the Torrent yesterday, by the by - great piece of work, has restored some of my faith in the line. My only regret is passing it up so many times 'cause it looked boring on card.
JediTricks
Site Admin

Post by JediTricks »

onslaught86 wrote:Haven't had a real good look at it, so it's a shame to hear that. As long as the kibble's stable I don't mind shellforming. Colours put me off, though, it's just made for a proper tan repaint. Does it actually have a cockpit in the design, or were Rex/Torrent the last to be designed for minifigs and not include 'em?
Hasbro revealed an Ep 1 repaint which brings out true Battle Droid colors, it looks a little better, and they did an alternate transformation for the kibble, but it's still the majority of the tank ending up as a dress which looks horrendous.

I dunno if the AAT has a cockpit, I do know that the Magna Fighter has none though.
Gun forms a chunk of the underside that's essentially a third leg for the landing gear, it won't sit right on a flat surface without it, and that bugs me since it outright HAS to be removed for transformation. Doesn't fit in the cockpit either, heh. Stupid thing, I hate parts that have to come off for transformation. Doesn't kill the figure as much as the poor jointing in the arms does and the mangling of the sabers, mind. Real shame, as there's some great parts for that figure, I love the transform on the legs, the saber storage, and the alt. mode's awesome mod car styling. First Grievous was way better.
Oh bullspit! First off, a majority of TFs lately use accessories in alt mode without being called Legoforming.

Secondly, what you're saying about the Grievous Starfighter is totally wrong, but only because you probably aren't extending the forward landing legs at all. When they're extended, they form the front half and the rear half sits on the tail itself.

Thirdly, you think that first Grievous with the massive wheel halves and kibble and junk everywhere is better? Not seeing it, it's just a busted in half vehicle with a lazy robot cobbled beneath.

BTW, I picked up the Magnaguard Fighter, it's decent for this line but still runs into the SWTF wall.
See, that one's a camcorder, that one's a camera, that one's a phone, and they're doing "Speak no evil, See no evil, Hear no evil", get it?
onslaught86

Post by onslaught86 »

JediTricks wrote:
onslaught86 wrote:Haven't had a real good look at it, so it's a shame to hear that. As long as the kibble's stable I don't mind shellforming. Colours put me off, though, it's just made for a proper tan repaint. Does it actually have a cockpit in the design, or were Rex/Torrent the last to be designed for minifigs and not include 'em?
Hasbro revealed an Ep 1 repaint which brings out true Battle Droid colors, it looks a little better, and they did an alternate transformation for the kibble, but it's still the majority of the tank ending up as a dress which looks horrendous.

I dunno if the AAT has a cockpit, I do know that the Magna Fighter has none though.
Oh bullspit! First off, a majority of TFs lately use accessories in alt mode without being called Legoforming.

Secondly, what you're saying about the Grievous Starfighter is totally wrong, but only because you probably aren't extending the forward landing legs at all. When they're extended, they form the front half and the rear half sits on the tail itself.

Thirdly, you think that first Grievous with the massive wheel halves and kibble and junk everywhere is better? Not seeing it, it's just a busted in half vehicle with a lazy robot cobbled beneath.

BTW, I picked up the Magnaguard Fighter, it's decent for this line but still runs into the SWTF wall.

Good to hear on the no-cockpit front, as much as I love the cockpits, they're just worthless and detracting without the minifigs to pilot them. Battle Droid still looks kickass for being a Battle Droid, if/when that repaint comes out here I'll snap it up, I like the tank design enough to justify.

Ooh, apologies on the tailfin being the third leg, right you are. I've now chucked the shitty launcher into the accessories box and am re-evaluating the figure without it. Regardless, I still think accessories shouldn't have to come off as part of transformation if they form part of the vehicle mode, and that applies to TFs too. Integrating is fine, making me pull bits off to transform them is not. My favourite kinds of accessories are just optionally removable, like Grievous Starfighter's sabers, which really did impress me. If only he could hold them without mangling them.

It really is the sucky gluggy headsculpt and poor arm jointing that hurt the robot mode now that I look at him again, the original SWTF Grievous had a headsculpt I liked a lot, this is smoother with less detail. Mine also has shoddy paint, doesn't help a lot either. Yet that arm jointing, those tiny loose swivel joints that feel like they'll snap, and make the arms rotate and flop if he's holding weapons, those are the killers. Also wish he could use the full double elbow jointing the transformation warrants, but the hands are backwards if you do that, a shame. The colours are awesome, the vehicle mode is awesome, the transformation's good, robot's still a let-down.

Thanks for motivating me to go and find him, though, I think I'll take him to work and let him sit on my desk and spur my imagination. The Torrent's been there long enough now, heh. Ever get that? 'Tis rather nifty, even Dom liked it.

The first Grievous is a figure I still had a lot of time for the last time I fiddled with him (Currently in storage with the rest of my early SWTF). The joints have a great range of motion, the vehicle mode is a ball of walky stabby death, it has a cool retro pilot seat, and the transform is far more complex and fiddly than it looks. Plus, three sabers and a gun. I know you never liked the idea, but it always did it for me, I stand by him being one of my favourite figures released that year.
Shockwave
Supreme-Class

Post by Shockwave »

Meh, Greivous never really did it for me. Either as a character or as a TF. The Magnaguard looks neat though. I do actually like the Death Star Vader and might actually keep it along with the AT-AT. My fave so far though has to be the Vader Tie Fighter.