Subscription Service 3 figures revealed

Ancillary, non-main-line stuff. Star Wars TF, Speed Stars, Titanium Series, Robot Heroes, that sort of thing. They're kinda neat, but we all know they're not really that important. Admit it, you know it's true.

Re: Subscription Service 3 figures revealed

Postby Dominic » Mon Sep 29, 2014 4:20 pm

If this were a retail toy, there'd be some leeway, but this is stupid-expensive for absolutely no new parts for a character nobody was clamoring for


And, it is bad rendition of that character to boot. Anybody who cares about Serpent OR (all12 of us) would want a better one.


As for the cost, I would hesitate to count the cost of the fan club membership (as bad as the club is) as part of this. The membership includes a "free" figure. (And, lets face it, that is what most people buy in for.) It also includes a discount (which happens to be the membership fee), on the convention set when purchased through the club store.

The option of subscribing is just a perk of membership at that point. (That does not excuse the lack-luster efforts on the subscription figures, especially for the price. But, the fan club membership has some independent value.)
User avatar
Dominic
Supreme-Class
 
Posts: 8963
Joined: Thu Jul 17, 2008 12:55 pm
Location: Boston

Re: Subscription Service 3 figures revealed

Postby JediTricks » Mon Sep 29, 2014 5:12 pm

Dominic wrote:
If this were a retail toy, there'd be some leeway, but this is stupid-expensive for absolutely no new parts for a character nobody was clamoring for


And, it is bad rendition of that character to boot. Anybody who cares about Serpent OR (all12 of us) would want a better one.


As for the cost, I would hesitate to count the cost of the fan club membership (as bad as the club is) as part of this. The membership includes a "free" figure. (And, lets face it, that is what most people buy in for.) It also includes a discount (which happens to be the membership fee), on the convention set when purchased through the club store.

The option of subscribing is just a perk of membership at that point. (That does not excuse the lack-luster efforts on the subscription figures, especially for the price. But, the fan club membership has some independent value.)
Either way, at the least it's still 1/7th of $300 plus shipping, making it over 3 times as expensive as a retail version.

But I have no patience for the fan club right now, nothing they produce looks worthwhile or in any way a positive representation of the brand and its fans.
Image
See, that one's a camcorder, that one's a camera, that one's a phone, and they're doing "Speak no evil, See no evil, Hear no evil", get it?
User avatar
JediTricks
Site Admin
 
Posts: 3665
Joined: Thu Jul 17, 2008 12:17 pm
Location: LA, CA, USA

Re: Subscription Service 3 figures revealed

Postby Tigermegatron » Mon Sep 29, 2014 6:05 pm

Dominic wrote: The membership includes a "free" figure.


No, Their is no free membership figure. As members are paying $40 in yearly membership dues for the free figure.
User avatar
Tigermegatron
Supreme-Class
 
Posts: 2106
Joined: Tue Feb 15, 2011 8:28 am

Re: Subscription Service 3 figures revealed

Postby Shockwave » Mon Sep 29, 2014 6:17 pm

BWprowl wrote:
andersonh1 wrote:Come on collector's club, give me a comic-accurate color scheme Jhiaxus. I'm about to give up on Hasbro doing that. What's up with the pumpkin orange every time we get a Jhaixus figure?

To be fair, 'every time' has been twice so far. The Universe version was pretty much your usual 'Beast era toy with random colors slapped on it and a random name applied' release, and the colors for Jhiaxus's new comic appearance (and thus the new toy) homaged those colors.

I wouldn't be surprised if we got a G2-style Jhiaxus at some point, though given how long it took for *somebody* to get to G2 Starscream, I wouldn't exactly hold my breath.

I'm wondering if we'll see the new ArScream mold done up as Thundercracker. Or a Skywarp remold that could also be done up as the infamous Universe Ramjet.


After Straxus, I wouldn't rule anything out.
User avatar
Shockwave
Supreme-Class
 
Posts: 5799
Joined: Sun Jul 19, 2009 4:10 pm
Location: Sacramento, CA

Re: Subscription Service 3 figures revealed

Postby Tigermegatron » Mon Sep 29, 2014 6:22 pm

JediTricks wrote: Either way, at the least it's still 1/7th of $300 plus shipping, making it over 3 times as expensive as a retail version.


I'm also not a fan of paying 3 to 4 times more than retail for a TFCC toy.

I'm only willing to pay those double-tripple prices on rare occassions. The last time was over 12 years ago when I bought the Takara Micron-Dentsu Shockwave, Which was a cartoon accurate Armada Tidalwave.

JediTricks wrote: But I have no patience for the fan club right now, nothing they produce looks worthwhile or in any way a positive representation of the brand and its fans.


I think it's because a small group of fans that TFCC Fun pub hired as staff are being selfish by getting all of their wish list TF recolors-retools created.

That awful TFCC comic seems to dominate what characters get chosen as TFCC-Fun pub toys. The focus seems to be forcing TFCC comic characters to get toys,whether the mold fits the character or not.
User avatar
Tigermegatron
Supreme-Class
 
Posts: 2106
Joined: Tue Feb 15, 2011 8:28 am

Re: Subscription Service 3 figures revealed

Postby Shockwave » Wed Oct 01, 2014 9:25 am

I just reread the comic with Serpent O.R. in it and... I like this design better. There was only one image of the whole design in the entire story arc and it's a little too... I dunno, anime? Gundamy? I dunno, it seems out of place next to Transformers. I mean, you can't even tell what it would transform into. The FunPub version is still too high for my budget but I still like that one better.
User avatar
Shockwave
Supreme-Class
 
Posts: 5799
Joined: Sun Jul 19, 2009 4:10 pm
Location: Sacramento, CA

Re: Subscription Service 3 figures revealed

Postby Onslaught Six » Fri Oct 10, 2014 3:48 pm

Tigermegatron wrote:
Dominic wrote: The membership includes a "free" figure.


No, Their is no free membership figure. As members are paying $40 in yearly membership dues for the free figure.


That's why free is in quotation marks, you dummy.

Shockwave wrote:I just reread the comic with Serpent O.R. in it and... I like this design better. There was only one image of the whole design in the entire story arc and it's a little too... I dunno, anime? Gundamy? I dunno, it seems out of place next to Transformers. I mean, you can't even tell what it would transform into. The FunPub version is still too high for my budget but I still like that one better.


Looks pretty TF-y to me.
http://tfwiki.net/mediawiki/images2/1/1 ... rPrime.jpg
BWprowl wrote:The internet having this many different words to describe nerdy folks is akin to the whole eskimos/ice situation, I would presume.


People spend so much time worrying about whether a figure is "mint" or not that they never stop to consider other flavours.
Image
User avatar
Onslaught Six
Supreme-Class
 
Posts: 7022
Joined: Fri Jul 18, 2008 6:49 am
Location: In front of my computer.

Re: Subscription Service 3 figures revealed

Postby Shockwave » Fri Oct 10, 2014 4:50 pm

Onslaught Six wrote:
Tigermegatron wrote:
Dominic wrote: The membership includes a "free" figure.


No, Their is no free membership figure. As members are paying $40 in yearly membership dues for the free figure.


That's why free is in quotation marks, you dummy.

Shockwave wrote:I just reread the comic with Serpent O.R. in it and... I like this design better. There was only one image of the whole design in the entire story arc and it's a little too... I dunno, anime? Gundamy? I dunno, it seems out of place next to Transformers. I mean, you can't even tell what it would transform into. The FunPub version is still too high for my budget but I still like that one better.


Looks pretty TF-y to me.
http://tfwiki.net/mediawiki/images2/1/1 ... rPrime.jpg


Yeah, except that's not that great of an image. He's crouched over, the face is looking so far down you can't really see it, those stupid tentacles are everywhere and obscuring him.... And you won't find a better pic online. There was only one panel in the entire story that showed him in full in a standing position and even then it was a from far away shot so you still can't really see it that great.
User avatar
Shockwave
Supreme-Class
 
Posts: 5799
Joined: Sun Jul 19, 2009 4:10 pm
Location: Sacramento, CA

Re: Subscription Service 3 figures revealed

Postby Onslaught Six » Sat Oct 11, 2014 4:05 am

I would think his face would probably look like, I dunno, Serpentor. Regular face in a big snake helmet. Seems like that's what they've got going. The tentacles work because that was a major component of Cobra-La, which may or may not have been involved in the creation of SerpentOR in this comic storyline. (I didn't read it.)
BWprowl wrote:The internet having this many different words to describe nerdy folks is akin to the whole eskimos/ice situation, I would presume.


People spend so much time worrying about whether a figure is "mint" or not that they never stop to consider other flavours.
Image
User avatar
Onslaught Six
Supreme-Class
 
Posts: 7022
Joined: Fri Jul 18, 2008 6:49 am
Location: In front of my computer.

Re: Subscription Service 3 figures revealed

Postby Shockwave » Sat Oct 11, 2014 8:35 am

Onslaught Six wrote:I would think his face would probably look like, I dunno, Serpentor. Regular face in a big snake helmet. Seems like that's what they've got going. The tentacles work because that was a major component of Cobra-La, which may or may not have been involved in the creation of SerpentOR in this comic storyline. (I didn't read it.)


In this story, he was actually built by a secret subunit of GI Joe.
User avatar
Shockwave
Supreme-Class
 
Posts: 5799
Joined: Sun Jul 19, 2009 4:10 pm
Location: Sacramento, CA

Previous

Return to Other TF Lines

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest