TF Marvel Wolverine is pretty good

Ancillary, non-main-line stuff. Star Wars TF, Speed Stars, Titanium Series, Robot Heroes, that sort of thing. They're kinda neat, but we all know they're not really that important. Admit it, you know it's true.
JediTricks
Site Admin

TF Marvel Wolverine is pretty good

Post by JediTricks »

On DvD's recommendation, I picked up this figure with the last of my birthday money. I liked the look of the pics I had seen, and the rally truck alt mode is one of the few in the line I think looks cool.

First off, the rally truck mode is really decent, it's fairly solid and has good rolling and ground clearance, and is fairly kibble-free. In fact, the only real drawback for me is that from the rear end you can see how empty the undercarriage is, this is not uncommon for TF trucks in general though, but they could have put bars or a swing-down facade if they chose to. Detail is a little chunkier than TF, but still good enough.

Transformation has some really clever stuff going on. It definitely doesn't feel like a Star Wars TF, this is more whole and complex for the sake of transformation rather than for dumping a bunch of kibble the way SWTF too often does. The waist is a little confusing and locked up tight the first time, the cabin does want to implode too, but a little patience and you get some clever stuff moving about, pretty much everything moves really. I would have liked to see the slide-in upper arms lock down, and the panel hiding the head fold back further, and the back wheels lock into the legs (not to mention create better heels for the figure), and detail on the back interior (this is a gravy complaint since you generally only see it in transformation), but generally this is a really fun transformation once you get it. The instructions make it seem more of a chore than it really is, there's a flow that gets lost, and getting back to altmode requires a little thought the first time but works once you get where everything moves.

Bot mode has the Wolverine mode down pretty damn well. This is much more of a "hey bub!" comicky mode than the movie version of the character has been lately, he's stocky and even a little hunched over. And his claws spring out of his upper forearms, not between his fingers - reminds me of the '90s Toy Biz Marvel line in some good ways. There is a good amount of detail work, it's not as fine as real TFs but it's nice to see someone thought of some of this stuff, and the winch-chin is funny. The figure's biggest drawback though is a lack of heels, as DvD says, they're "L" shaped feet, so the majority of the back of the foot is missing with only a tab at the outer edge making standing poses very difficult. The figure takes action poses better than standing ones, but it's still a chore to find one that will stay upright (not as bad as regular neutral poses though). This is more of a fun action figure to pick up and play with, not stand on a shelf. Also, while well-articulated, I would have liked to see up-and-down motion for the head what with the hunched mid-torso. And in both modes, more paint detail would have been nice, I am greedy here though. Also, the use of ratcheting joints on so many places is badly done, the ratchets are too sharp and limit the range of motion rather than help it, the knees are especially bad at both the hinge and swivel, and the heels just needed twice as many stops.

This figure makes for a pretty terrible mech if you think about it, there's nowhere Logan could really go if he were in scale to the alt mode, he'd be all scrunched up in the torso which would have to be totally hollow to accommodate him. Luckily, it's a very keen robot, so screw the mech concept, maybe it's remote-controlled or they put Wolvie's brain in a TF body. :p

All in all, this is a pretty fun Transformer, and while suffering a few flaws and oddities one wouldn't find in the real TF line usually, there are a lot of good ideas applied here. The overall design of both modes is very satisfying in a "pick it up and have fun" way, and the character shines through the bot mode quite well.
See, that one's a camcorder, that one's a camera, that one's a phone, and they're doing "Speak no evil, See no evil, Hear no evil", get it?
onslaught86

Re: TF Marvel Wolverine is pretty good

Post by onslaught86 »

I've been debating Wolverine, since I dig the character, and he looks fairly decent in both modes. The colours burn, though, so I may wait for the built-in brown repaint. He's not out here yet either, which helps. Looking forward to Robot Torch.

Thus far I've nabbed Venom and Hulk. Venom's an odd piece of work, vehicle mode is very big and cool and displays well, but the lack of translucent windows makes him feel cheap. Locks together alright once he's transformed, and there's some neat biomechanical details, but the robot mode's limbs are wonky and kibbly. Gets points for the non-standard car transformation, loses them for the end result.

Hulk, meanwhile, is excellent. Best action feature I've seen in quite some time, they pulled off a double-punch action with options without sacrificing articulation, waist aside. Transformation's fun here too, lovely details in places, and very much Hulk while being a believable giant robot. I'm not really a Hulk fan, but the steampunk factor plus the gnarly gorilla look and the nifty gimmick sold me. Looks boring in package, robot mode's where it shines.

No plans to get IM, may get War Machine. Black Spidey could tempt me, though that mould looks kinda average.
JediTricks
Site Admin

Post by JediTricks »

onslaught86 wrote:I've been debating Wolverine, since I dig the character, and he looks fairly decent in both modes. The colours burn, though, so I may wait for the built-in brown repaint. He's not out here yet either, which helps. Looking forward to Robot Torch.

Thus far I've nabbed Venom and Hulk. Venom's an odd piece of work, vehicle mode is very big and cool and displays well, but the lack of translucent windows makes him feel cheap. Locks together alright once he's transformed, and there's some neat biomechanical details, but the robot mode's limbs are wonky and kibbly. Gets points for the non-standard car transformation, loses them for the end result.

Hulk, meanwhile, is excellent. Best action feature I've seen in quite some time, they pulled off a double-punch action with options without sacrificing articulation, waist aside. Transformation's fun here too, lovely details in places, and very much Hulk while being a believable giant robot. I'm not really a Hulk fan, but the steampunk factor plus the gnarly gorilla look and the nifty gimmick sold me. Looks boring in package, robot mode's where it shines.

No plans to get IM, may get War Machine. Black Spidey could tempt me, though that mould looks kinda average.
Normally, these colors would be too much, but since it's costume-accurate AND rally trucks are usually visually loud (and I never really liked the yellow & brown costume), I figured what the heck. There is a little color issue where paint doesn't match plastic, and even one color of yellow plastic that's a little off from another, but it all worked out.

Good to hear Hulk is cool, I've been dancing around getting it or not for a while now. I kinda like that tank mode, but I don't actually like The Hulk that much. :p

IM is not a character that needs a mech, he is a mech already, so I haven't bothered. I like that War Machine idea though.

I'm going to wait till I hear another review on Human Torch, DvD likes it a lot but I'm not that into the character so it's difficult to pull the trigger on that pricetag.

I saw Black Spidey with the one I got (all 4 in that wave actually) and that bike mode still does NOTHING for me. If I end up getting and liking Hulk and Torch though, I may have a new habit to feed. :p
See, that one's a camcorder, that one's a camera, that one's a phone, and they're doing "Speak no evil, See no evil, Hear no evil", get it?
onslaught86

Post by onslaught86 »

Normally, these colors would be too much, but since it's costume-accurate AND rally trucks are usually visually loud (and I never really liked the yellow & brown costume), I figured what the heck. There is a little color issue where paint doesn't match plastic, and even one color of yellow plastic that's a little off from another, but it all worked out.
I don't really like Wolverine's classic costumes at all, they're pretty dorky. Though I sound like quite the sellout, I really would prefer a black repaint as Ultimate Wolverine, heh. He doesn't look bad, to be sure, but he also doesn't look like my sort of thing, very meh in general. Repaint'd probably sway me. Very much looking forward to the upcoming Thor, that cape is very clever, and Captain America looks pretty hilarious.
Good to hear Hulk is cool, I've been dancing around getting it or not for a while now. I kinda like that tank mode, but I don't actually like The Hulk that much.
Neither do I, and despite wanting him the most after seeing pics, he underwhelmed me on card. Eventually broke down and got him as a consolation purchase when the figures I really wanted weren't there, and very very glad I did. He's had pride of place on the desk at work for a while, great fig, think you'd dig him a lot. Tank's turret doesn't turn, but it does elevate. Gives me a very WWI vibe, as DVD notes, it's steampunky and clockworky. Wish the grey repaint didn't have those blue shorts, they turn me off it. Regular flavour's got this lovely slightly purple gunmetal for his pants, helps a lot as the green's a touch blah.
IM is not a character that needs a mech, he is a mech already, so I haven't bothered. I like that War Machine idea though.
IM's cartoony colours hurt on a mech too. War Machine looks pretty snazzy colour-wise, I do find myself underwhelmed by the look of the mould tho'.
I'm going to wait till I hear another review on Human Torch, DvD likes it a lot but I'm not that into the character so it's difficult to pull the trigger on that pricetag.
Torch is one of those characters I'm genuinely indifferent to. Don't like the Fantastic Four, but they're not really offensive, just kinda 'there' and a bit lame. I just really dig Torch's flaming jet mode, and the clever use of translucent parts. Certainly does it better than Sunstorm.
BWprowl
Supreme-Class

Post by BWprowl »

I've been waffling on these for quite some time. I keep hearing about how good Hulk is, but the fact that he's the Hulk turns me off more than I would expect. Still, the grey repaint looks nice enough, might look into it next paycheck. I was thinking about Wolverine too. Human Torch though...man, that thing grabbed me totally unexpectedly. I'm on the nicer side of neutral towards the Fantastic 4, but when I saw that toy in the store, I really liked what I saw. Probably would've picked it up then and there had I not also been getting Sentinel Prime and Swoop. Still, definitely definitely getting the Torch next week.
JediTricks
Site Admin

Post by JediTricks »

onslaught86 wrote:I don't really like Wolverine's classic costumes at all, they're pretty dorky. Though I sound like quite the sellout, I really would prefer a black repaint as Ultimate Wolverine, heh. He doesn't look bad, to be sure, but he also doesn't look like my sort of thing, very meh in general. Repaint'd probably sway me. Very much looking forward to the upcoming Thor, that cape is very clever, and Captain America looks pretty hilarious.
I'm not a big fan of the black costumes, they're not as exciting and characteristic. Wolvie's costume always kinda sucked, but it somehow worked for him. Plus, can't go wrong with that cowl, you cannot! Ultimate costumes don't do it for me in another way, T-shirt sleeves are NOT appropriate for superhero costumes.

Thor and Cap, I think I saw them but I cannot recall them in my memory at all right now.
Tank's turret doesn't turn, but it does elevate.
Son of a bitch, I didn't realize it elevated, that's cool! Well, that's it, I'm gonna buy it next time I see it, thanks for the info.
Gives me a very WWI vibe, as DVD notes, it's steampunky and clockworky. Wish the grey repaint didn't have those blue shorts, they turn me off it. Regular flavour's got this lovely slightly purple gunmetal for his pants, helps a lot as the green's a touch blah.
The gray on card looked SO bland to me, very flat and lacking detail. The green & purple may be a bit much, but they're more visually interesting on that tank I think (they had both, I stood there comparing for a min).
IM's cartoony colours hurt on a mech too. War Machine looks pretty snazzy colour-wise, I do find myself underwhelmed by the look of the mould tho'.
I've heard it's an ok mold, but unstable. The colors were part of why I didn't dig it (especially with another red jet in wave 2).
Torch is one of those characters I'm genuinely indifferent to. Don't like the Fantastic Four, but they're not really offensive, just kinda 'there' and a bit lame. I just really dig Torch's flaming jet mode, and the clever use of translucent parts. Certainly does it better than Sunstorm.
With my Star Wars purchases slow, TFU not happening, and me being very selective with TFA, I suspect you'll be seeing my purchase of Torch within 2 weeks.

BWprowl wrote:I've been waffling on these for quite some time. I keep hearing about how good Hulk is, but the fact that he's the Hulk turns me off more than I would expect. Still, the grey repaint looks nice enough, might look into it next paycheck. I was thinking about Wolverine too. Human Torch though...man, that thing grabbed me totally unexpectedly. I'm on the nicer side of neutral towards the Fantastic 4, but when I saw that toy in the store, I really liked what I saw. Probably would've picked it up then and there had I not also been getting Sentinel Prime and Swoop. Still, definitely definitely getting the Torch next week.
It's funny, I feel almost guilty that I'm buying these and not SWTF, but that line has stalled so bad, and taking the pilots out ensured my late-term purchases of the AT-AT and Snowspeeder didn't happen.
Dominic
Supreme-Class

Post by Dominic »

I am tempted by the Darth Star, but there are none around.

The Ironman and Human Torch TFs are also tempting, if only for the file cards.

Dom
-wants to set up Unicron v/s the DS.
JediTricks
Site Admin

Post by JediTricks »

Dominic wrote:I am tempted by the Darth Star, but there are none around.

The Ironman and Human Torch TFs are also tempting, if only for the file cards.

Dom
Yeah, that's weird, the Death Star/Vader dried up around here only recently. It'll probably get another wave around Christmas, it seems to be doing pretty well.

You should know from the SWTF that the bio cards on these Crossovers are notoriously inaccurate even to the product itself and fellow packaging copy.
onslaught86

Post by onslaught86 »

. Dom
Dom, I have the best mental image of you smashing the two together while making sound effects.
I'm not a big fan of the black costumes, they're not as exciting and characteristic. Wolvie's costume always kinda sucked, but it somehow worked for him. Plus, can't go wrong with that cowl, you cannot!
True, it is certainly very Wolverine, but as always I'm more concerned with the toy itself rather than the character it's meant to represent, and I don't really like the colour combo. Hopefully the repaint will make the vehicle a little less gaudy and a little more rugged. Other than a brown Wolvy redeco, I could certainly go a Sabertooth retool.

As cliche as black repaints are, I'll take black Spidey over a bright red and blue motorcycle. Still, that one looks pretty average all-round.
Thor and Cap, I think I saw them but I cannot recall them in my memory at all right now.
Cap is a super-patriotic humvee with a shield on the top, turns into an extremely Prime-like robot. Thor's an A-10 and very very cleverly turns into a robot with a mult-panelled cape, really looking forward to that one. Thor's classic colours kinda hurt, but A-10 + cape + big robot with a hammer = solid win in my book.
Son of a bitch, I didn't realize it elevated, that's cool! Well, that's it, I'm gonna buy it next time I see it, thanks for the info.
Uses the ankle joints to do so, as the barrel becomes heelspurs, but it's clearly intended as part of the design. The barrel also extends some on a sliding joint, so it's not quite as stubby as the package would have you believe. As DVD notes, the stock robot photo is mistransformed, and his shoulders open out much wider. Really do dig this one.
I've heard it's an ok mold, but unstable. The colors were part of why I didn't dig it (especially with another red jet in wave 2).
I originally thought Torch was a retool of IM, they look so alike. Glad that's not the case. War Machine may be a goer, depends how I feel in person. Hmm, wonder if they'll retool Torch as Iceman.

I'd be getting Torch within a few weeks if he was bloody well out here. Bah.
138 Scourge
Supreme-Class

Post by 138 Scourge »

I'm gonna be sorely tempted by the Torch, because I loves me some FF.

And I also loves me some Hulk, so I dunno, I might, might get the green Hulk tank.

Thor, though...I need pics, but he sounds nifty anyway.

Where are the damn villains here, Marvel? Cryin' out loud.
Dominic wrote: too many people likely would have enjoyed it as....well a house-elf gang-bang.