TF Marvel Wolverine is pretty good

Ancillary, non-main-line stuff. Star Wars TF, Speed Stars, Titanium Series, Robot Heroes, that sort of thing. They're kinda neat, but we all know they're not really that important. Admit it, you know it's true.
onslaught86

Re: TF Marvel Wolverine is pretty good

Post by onslaught86 »

Clicky for stock photos of Cap and Thor and War Machine: http://i.marvelousnews.com/g/index.php? ... 00&start=0
Dominic
Supreme-Class

Post by Dominic »

Cap is hideous. It looks like a crazed hill-billy mobile.

Carnage is possibly the worst "Crossover" toy yet. Worse than anything from SWTF.

Thor looks like one of those weird frozen treats I remember from my youth.

War Machine does not look too awful.

Dom
-would never smash toys together.
JediTricks
Site Admin

Post by JediTricks »

onslaught86 wrote:Dom, I have the best mental image of you smashing the two together while making sound effects.
They both make sound effects on their own though.
True, it is certainly very Wolverine, but as always I'm more concerned with the toy itself rather than the character it's meant to represent, and I don't really like the colour combo. Hopefully the repaint will make the vehicle a little less gaudy and a little more rugged. Other than a brown Wolvy redeco, I could certainly go a Sabertooth retool.
For me, with this brand it does have to carry some connection to the character. It's a fun toy, but if it were green and red, it wouldn't be Wolverine, and as I mentioned before, I don't like Wolvie's yellow & brown. Sabertooth should be bigger and meaner and have claw-hands. Then again, Sabertooth would not be my first choice for another villain in this line (so far they have Venom and a remold as Carnage is coming).
As cliche as black repaints are, I'll take black Spidey over a bright red and blue motorcycle. Still, that one looks pretty average all-round.
I was so enamored with black Spidey back in the '80s during Secret Wars, but after a while it became undynamic, especially with the Venom connection revealed (I think Venom is very un-Spidey, especially after he begot Carnage). Since the movie, I really appreciate the red & blue costume for being such a Spidey thing.

The mold looks sub-average to me, and black TFs are getting a little tiresome in my book, doesn't show off enough of the toy. I'm not saying I want crazy wacky neon colors again, just not all black.
Cap is a super-patriotic humvee with a shield on the top, turns into an extremely Prime-like robot. Thor's an A-10 and very very cleverly turns into a robot with a mult-panelled cape, really looking forward to that one. Thor's classic colours kinda hurt, but A-10 + cape + big robot with a hammer = solid win in my book.
Yeah they do hurt, but still, wings that turn into a cape (off-the-arms only I'll bet) is very cool. Plus, yeah, Mjolnir, can't go wrong wit dat. I remember why that rang a bell though, I saw the pics at the TF panel at Comic-Con.
Uses the ankle joints to do so, as the barrel becomes heelspurs, but it's clearly intended as part of the design. The barrel also extends some on a sliding joint, so it's not quite as stubby as the package would have you believe. As DVD notes, the stock robot photo is mistransformed, and his shoulders open out much wider. Really do dig this one.
Picked it up, and the elevation doesn't really say "tank" to me how it's empty in the back, nor the barrel extension that's very gappy from the side. He's ok, but hasn't grabbed me the way Wolvie did, and the springy shoulders don't deliver much. Oh, and he's shorter than Wolverine, that's a total WTF moment - not gonna be recreating any "Wolverine's first appearance" covers with these 2.
I originally thought Torch was a retool of IM, they look so alike. Glad that's not the case. War Machine may be a goer, depends how I feel in person. Hmm, wonder if they'll retool Torch as Iceman.
I thought the same thing about them being the same mold, I even put them together on pegs and they still looked similar. The repaint of IM is actually Phase 2 movie colors though, which is not as exciting, but is different enough from Torch, and has cred for realism on vehicle mode. Can't see Torch as Iceman, that'd be kinda doofy, so yeah, they'll do it. :p

Scourge wrote:Where are the damn villains here, Marvel? Cryin' out loud.
Hasbro's going kid-iconic here, so it's not surprising that we've only gotten Venom so far. I'd think Dr Doom would be close behind though.

onslaught86 wrote:Clicky for stock photos of Cap and Thor and War Machine: http://i.marvelousnews.com/g/index.php? ... 00&start=0
Thanks, now I totally remember seeing them at the show in the millisecond I looked up from my laptop as I was typing my notes. :p Cap is WAAAAY too beefy, but I dig the character so I'll probably get him. And Thor, well, that's such an original idea for the wings that I am probably gonna buy it despite the repugnant alt mode colors.

Dominic wrote:Carnage is possibly the worst "Crossover" toy yet. Worse than anything from SWTF.
Be fair, Carnage sucks in any incarnation. :mrgreen:
War Machine does not look too awful.
I think it looks a lot more like IM phase 2 armor, not WM.
See, that one's a camcorder, that one's a camera, that one's a phone, and they're doing "Speak no evil, See no evil, Hear no evil", get it?
JediTricks
Site Admin

Post by JediTricks »

I got MTF Human Torch on sale through HasbroToyShop. It's a decent figure, but not as good as Wolvie. Vehicle mode is a little stout and from the underside a tad gappy in the back, lumpy too, but alright. The nose cone being semi-translucent is tough to justify though. Transformation is very cool, clever stuff, even though it ends in an unsatisfying automorph; there's plenty of shifting. Bot mode is alright, makes good use of the colors, but the sculpting doesn't really say robot, it's more "character with squareness" and doesn't entirely deliver on the concept. Articulation is decent tho', but arms could use more. Does a lot with a little.
See, that one's a camcorder, that one's a camera, that one's a phone, and they're doing "Speak no evil, See no evil, Hear no evil", get it?
onslaught86

Post by onslaught86 »

Still no sign of these here, which irks. Finally got TIE Bomber and Grievous Ship, though, they'll be part of my christmas haul.

I dig Torch's translucency, it's like Sunstorm but cooler.
JediTricks
Site Admin

Post by JediTricks »

onslaught86 wrote:Still no sign of these here, which irks. Finally got TIE Bomber and Grievous Ship, though, they'll be part of my christmas haul.

I dig Torch's translucency, it's like Sunstorm but cooler.
Gah, I wanted more info about the TIE Bomber, still on the fence (leaning towards "no").

WTF is with everybody's love for Sunstorm? Yellow seeker, BFD. I don't get it.
BWprowl
Supreme-Class

Post by BWprowl »

It really is just the colors I love about Sunstorm. He stands out, which is good since that's the entire point. There's also the novelty of "OMG! New official Seeker after 20 years!"

The Torch's design still really grabs me, I really like the shape of the whole thing. Also, has anyone besides me noticed that his guns pop off, with the holes in his fists being just the right size for them to clip into?
onslaught86

Post by onslaught86 »

I don't like Sunstorm at all, really, but I am a sucker for giant robots who're also on fire. Fallen amuses me.
JediTricks
Site Admin

Post by JediTricks »

BWprowl wrote:It really is just the colors I love about Sunstorm. He stands out, which is good since that's the entire point. There's also the novelty of "OMG! New official Seeker after 20 years!"
Yeah, but you know what other seekers stand out because of their colors? ALL OF THEM!!! :p "New" isn't good enough when it's bright screamin' yellow, not in my book.
The Torch's design still really grabs me, I really like the shape of the whole thing. Also, has anyone besides me noticed that his guns pop off, with the holes in his fists being just the right size for them to clip into?
I noticed that, and actually it's even better, his fist holes are tapered slightly so they STAY in the fists rather than pop back out or warp the pegs.

onslaught86 wrote:I don't like Sunstorm at all, really, but I am a sucker for giant robots who're also on fire. Fallen amuses me.
See, that's how you do robots on fire. You paint them matte black then have fire coming out in opportune places. You don't just deco 'em like you're staring at the sun.