Armada Unicron

Acronyms and abbreviations are fun. That, or these lines don't deserve quite enough respect for full names.
Robots In Disguise, Armada, Energon, Cybertron - there, that's their names, happy now???

Re: Armada Unicron

Postby Onslaught Six » Fri Feb 06, 2009 10:28 am

Hulk is Hulk. Meanwhile, Dr. Light is an idiot who let Dr. Wily steal his six robots.
BWprowl wrote:The internet having this many different words to describe nerdy folks is akin to the whole eskimos/ice situation, I would presume.


People spend so much time worrying about whether a figure is "mint" or not that they never stop to consider other flavours.
Image
User avatar
Onslaught Six
Supreme-Class
 
Posts: 7022
Joined: Fri Jul 18, 2008 6:49 am
Location: In front of my computer.

Re: Armada Unicron

Postby BWprowl » Fri Feb 06, 2009 11:39 am

He's actually referring to the DC Comics villain. The theme here is raep, you see.

Anyway, Dr. Light (and an obscenely stupid amount of characters) got killed off in 'Final Crisis' recently, so there's no one for Ultimate Hulk to fight/raep. Unless he's...into that, of course.

BW "I'm shamelessly happy that they brought Bart Allen back in the latest issue of 'Legion of Three Worlds'" prowl
Image
User avatar
BWprowl
Supreme-Class
 
Posts: 4145
Joined: Fri Jul 18, 2008 2:15 pm
Location: Shelfwarming, because of Shellforming

Re: Armada Unicron

Postby Dominic » Fri Feb 06, 2009 11:54 am

While I do not doubt that Ultimate Hulk would play "spoiled meat" with Doctor Light's, or anyone else's, corpse, it is even less likely that Doctor Light is staying dead.

Honestly Prowl, I am suprised you are so sure about what happened in FC. I have read the last 2 issues 4 times, and still cannot make sense of it. (I posted at length about this in my blog. And, better men than I, over at Howling Curmudgeon, have also discussed it.) I have no idea what the hell happened in FC, and even less idea what the hell stuck.

As far as Bart Allen goes, the whole thing is clumsy. It is not quiet, "Jason Todd is back, no wait he is not, oh, yes he is" level bad, but it is getting there. DC made a stupid and impulsive decision to kill a character that may not have been popular, but nobody wanted to see offed. People complain, and DC just does a 180, because they have no plan at all.

Were it up to me, Bart Allen, Ted Kord, and all of Earth's 15 and 51 would stay dead as a reminder of the perils of bad writing. (Mind you, I liked Ted Kord, had a soft spot for Bart, and saw the appeal of Earth 15. But, DC needs to write things that stick, dammit.)


Dom
-thinks Didio needs a visit from Ultimate Hulk.
User avatar
Dominic
Supreme-Class
 
Posts: 9017
Joined: Thu Jul 17, 2008 12:55 pm
Location: Boston

Re: Armada Unicron

Postby BWprowl » Fri Feb 06, 2009 10:39 pm

Oh believe me Dom, I'm as sure about FC as anyone else is. That final issue was bats. So... Superman used Metron to trap Darkseid in a wishing machine, then SANG the universe into its proper alignment, and then Batman wasn't dead but actually in a time capsule that went into either the future OR the past (your guess is as good as mine), where he proceeded to draw early cover art. FINAL CRISIS: You Won't Understand What Happens Next.

Honestly though, the Dr. Light thing happened in the 'Revelations' tie-in, a series that was shouldered with the burden of *coherency*, and went against DC's grand plan by actually being remotely readable.

Seriously though, I really liked "Rogue's Revenge" and "Last Will and Testament", to the point that I'll probably buy whatever trade those are in.

Next round: Beast Wars: The Ascending vs. Final Crisis!
Image
User avatar
BWprowl
Supreme-Class
 
Posts: 4145
Joined: Fri Jul 18, 2008 2:15 pm
Location: Shelfwarming, because of Shellforming

Re: Armada Unicron

Postby Onslaught Six » Sat Feb 07, 2009 2:04 am

Grant Morrison on Final Crisis:

"And it’s taking a lot of trends that I see in comics and pushing them to the max to see, 'do we really want it to be like this'?""

No! We do not! Why are you making it like this!
BWprowl wrote:The internet having this many different words to describe nerdy folks is akin to the whole eskimos/ice situation, I would presume.


People spend so much time worrying about whether a figure is "mint" or not that they never stop to consider other flavours.
Image
User avatar
Onslaught Six
Supreme-Class
 
Posts: 7022
Joined: Fri Jul 18, 2008 6:49 am
Location: In front of my computer.

Re: Armada Unicron

Postby JediTricks » Sun Feb 08, 2009 4:05 pm

Dominic wrote:I agree that Rodimus is an enema nozzle. But, the fact is that the fight shows how field conditions, (including other guys mucking around on the field), can be relevant variables.

Yes, Prime can win a physical contest. But, with certain (not unreasonable) variables, Megatron could beat Prime using his own virtues. (Megatron's virtues include ruthlessness.)
I'm sorry, did you just say "Rodimus"??? WTF, when did I start conversing with Hasbro's legal dept.? ;) By your argument, every cheap punk in every budget cop show is a field genius when he uses a hostage to get away, and I'm not buying it, especially when said hostage just wanders in like a retard because the writers needed him to. Shit Rod's injection into the fight was an UNREASONABLE variable, especially when you yourself pointed out that Kup told him to keep out of it.


When you have it down to that chessboard of king vs. king, there's nothing else to do but fight.


Actually, the game is pretty much over. Technically, one could move around for 5 moves, but the game still ends in a draw.
My point wasn't proving who wins or loses, just that there's nothing else to do on the chessboard but fight. Whether or not that ends in a draw depends on the intellect and abilities of the players.

Dom
-misread JT's bit about chess rather creatively.
At least you're owning that your failure is complete, young Skywalker.


Mako Crab wrote:If you want to talk about fairness, how about the fact that Megatron had been fighting all day, all night, and all the next day before a fully-charged and ready Optimus Prime even set foot on the field? What's it say that Megatron was still able to give him the fight of his life despite having been going non-stop for a day and a half? So Prime went into the fight with an advantage and Megatron found an advantage (Hot Rod) that he was able to exploit. Sounds about even to me.
All it says to me is that they're fighting machines! :mrgreen:

onslaught86 wrote:Do bear in mind that the Autobots had a severe Energon shortage due to the Decepticons taking over Cybertron. So Prime likely wasn't at full power, but still, valid point right thar.
That's the bottom line, they're machines, we don't really know how fighting for 72 hours would affect Megs' abilities, he may have vast stores of energy that let him fight for weeks at a time. He's a giant machine-man, it's not unreasonable that he's gonna run longer than we would.


Dominic wrote:This also gets into the idea of fuel economy for TFs. We never saw the last time Prime charged up, and he just flew a ship from Cybertron. Now assuming that TFs are similar to people, (this being soft sci-fi and all), 1 hour of flying a ship (driving) is the same as 3 hours of being awake otherwise, (in terms of cognitive and sensory load).

And, how much fuel did Prime burn while driving through all those 'Cons?
Those are interesting points, we've never actually seen Prime kick ass so quickly and effectively before, not even remotely, and there may be a reason, he may be digging down deep too.


Dominic wrote:Megatron may well have had time to rest/recharge between scenes. It depends how long the flight from Cybertron to Earth is. Megatron could have rested. And, the battle at Metroplex went on for at least a day or so. Note the elapsed time once the shelling starts.

Of course, we do not know if Megatron actually does recharge or not, just that he probably could have.
I'm now picturing Megatron kicking back in business class eating peanuts and drinking a complimentary soda.

Megs can tap into subspace to transform, there has to be some access to additional power stores that way. Oh my god, that is the most internet-geeky thing I've ever said in my life.
Image
See, that one's a camcorder, that one's a camera, that one's a phone, and they're doing "Speak no evil, See no evil, Hear no evil", get it?
User avatar
JediTricks
Site Admin
 
Posts: 3683
Joined: Thu Jul 17, 2008 12:17 pm
Location: LA, CA, USA

Re: Armada Unicron

Postby Dominic » Mon Feb 09, 2009 11:58 am

What I am saying about Hotrod/Rodimus/whatever is that he was a variable on the field. Yes, he was an idiot. But, he was as useful idiot for a guy like Megatron. Despite being tired, Megatron had the presence of mind to use the little twerp as a shield.


My point wasn't proving who wins or loses, just that there's nothing else to do on the chessboard but fight. Whether or not that ends in a draw depends on the intellect and abilities of the players.


King v/s King is unwinnable for both parties, regardless of skill.


Onslaught Six wrote:Grant Morrison on Final Crisis:

"And it’s taking a lot of trends that I see in comics and pushing them to the max to see, 'do we really want it to be like this'?""

No! We do not! Why are you making it like this!


Fook you. He is Grant Morrison. If you do not like it, you are clearly too stupid to get what he is saying. He makes it like this to show you how bad it is. If you knew how bad it was, you would not need Grant Morrison to show you. YOu do not know what you want. That is why you do not like Grant Morrison. (In all seriousness, Morrison reminds me of "All Star" lex Luthor with that quote O6 posted.)

I hated Rogue's Revenge. It existed just to set up for more bastardized combining of Silver and Modern age sensibilities, and it undid years of development for a number of characters, just to they can fight Barry Allen again.

I would say FC is worse than "Ascending". True, FC had something to say. But, it went out of its way to be as obnoxious as possible about it. It takes effort to be that bad. "Ascending" was awful, but Furman did not try to make it bad.

Dom
User avatar
Dominic
Supreme-Class
 
Posts: 9017
Joined: Thu Jul 17, 2008 12:55 pm
Location: Boston

Re: Armada Unicron

Postby BWprowl » Tue Feb 10, 2009 2:36 am

Dominic wrote:I hated Rogue's Revenge. It existed just to set up for more bastardized combining of Silver and Modern age sensibilities, and it undid years of development for a number of characters, just to they can fight Barry Allen again.

See, I think I liked Rogue's Revenge when you didn't because I'm in such a different position than you. This was the first time I'd really read a story with these characters, so I dug the way they were presented to me here (Especially Captain Cold, who became one of my favorite DC characters just from this story, though 'Last Will and Testament' helped too). So even if this story did 'undo years of character development' (and honestly, there didn't seem to be a lot of out-and-out retconning that I could catch, Barry Allen aside), it wasn't really a big deal to me, since I wasn't privvy to it, this story serving as an introductory chapter for me instead.

Honestly though, a very large amount of why I like it is just because of Captain Cold.
Image
User avatar
BWprowl
Supreme-Class
 
Posts: 4145
Joined: Fri Jul 18, 2008 2:15 pm
Location: Shelfwarming, because of Shellforming

Re: Armada Unicron

Postby Sparky Prime » Tue Feb 10, 2009 3:45 pm

Dominic wrote:
JediTricks wrote: My point wasn't proving who wins or loses, just that there's nothing else to do on the chessboard but fight. Whether or not that ends in a draw depends on the intellect and abilities of the players.


King v/s King is unwinnable for both parties, regardless of skill.


You're reminding me of TNG episode "Peak Performance". Data couldn't beat Sirna Kolrami at the game Strategema, so instead he altered his strategy to settle for a stalemate. Eventually Kolrami quit in frustration. As Data explains his 'winning' that match is all a matter of perspective.
User avatar
Sparky Prime
Supreme-Class
 
Posts: 4724
Joined: Wed Jul 23, 2008 3:12 am

Re: Armada Unicron

Postby Dominic » Wed Feb 11, 2009 9:53 am

Most of Barry's Rogues, including Captain Cold, retired, and were actually friendly with Wally for a number of years. Piper was not the only one to go straight.


As for playing to a stalemate, I recall that episode. Making an enemy quite in annoyance, or make a mistake due to impatience is one thing. But, in the case of King v/s King, you simply cannot win. Nobody can.

Dom
User avatar
Dominic
Supreme-Class
 
Posts: 9017
Joined: Thu Jul 17, 2008 12:55 pm
Location: Boston

PreviousNext

Return to RiD | Arm | Ener | Cy

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

cron