Armada Unicron

Acronyms and abbreviations are fun. That, or these lines don't deserve quite enough respect for full names.
Robots In Disguise, Armada, Energon, Cybertron - there, that's their names, happy now???
andersonh1

Armada Unicron

Post by andersonh1 »

What's the general consensus on this figure?

I realize that Unicron has been overused in the last few years, particularly in the comics, but at the time the figure first appeared on shelves at the end of Armada, I have to admit I was pretty enthusiastic about it. Unicron is still one of the few characters that merits the 'supreme' class treatment (unlike TFA Optimus, just to pick one example) although even at the Supreme size Unicron is way too small to interact properly with the other figures. The spherical planet-to-robot change was done far better with Primus, but as a first stab at the attempt, with the robot mode made to conform roughly to Unicron's pre-established appearance, I have to give credit to the designers for the job they did.

Planet mode: The robot needed to look like the familiar figure from the animated film, so the transformation and planet mode had to be built around that limitation. What we end up with is a partially round ringed planet composed mainly from a plastic shell that is kibble in bot mode. However, it looks good from the front, and comes complete with rings and jaws o'planetary chomping. This mode is functional, looks good from the front, but isn't as good as it could have been. But I have to admit, I like it anyway.

Transformation: the rings are clever, and there's lots of folding and rotating parts. Without the planet shell, it would look like someone doing a cannonball in the pool. :) But it's satisfyingly involved for a figure of this size.

Robot: Clearly the primary mode. At the time, this was the largest figure since Fortress Maximus. Supreme Cheetor may have been taller, but wasn't nearly so bulky, and I think Supreme Primal wasn't quite as large. In any case, Unicron is a big Transformer, with plenty of articulation. The light up eyes are a nice touch, as is the light up fist. The articulated hands are great. The rings turn into the 'wings' and tend to flop around more than I'd like, but I appreciate the effort to include them. The chest missile gimmick is one that I never use however, because I have a hard time getting the cannon to lock in place so the chest can stay closed. I don't know if this is a common defect or not.

The colors are not the same as the G1 version, but they are close enough to be recognizable. There are mini-con storage bays in the legs and the belly. I need to see if Robot Heroes Galvatron can fit in there. :) The triple missiles on the legs are a nice touch, but nothing to write home about.

I've seen pictures of the original prototype from the 80s, and the BW Neo prototype, and I think Armada Unicron is better in most ways than both of them. This is a good figure, even if the planet mode could be improved.

Mini-con: Dead End. A moon, for Unicron, which would technically make him a Giganti-con if he was in actual scale with other figures. The sphere to robot transformation is sound for a figure this small, and the cannon is a nice extra detail.

Overall, even if I hope we don't see Unicron for a long time in various Transformers fiction, I'm glad I own the figure. Unicron is an iconic character, and I'm glad a figure was finally made, even if it was years after the movie that introduced him.
Onslaught Six
Supreme-Class

Re: Armada Unicron

Post by Onslaught Six »

Reportedly he's getting rereleased (not repainted) in Universe.

I'm disappointed, as I may have bought a G1 repaint.
BWprowl wrote:The internet having this many different words to describe nerdy folks is akin to the whole eskimos/ice situation, I would presume.
People spend so much time worrying about whether a figure is "mint" or not that they never stop to consider other flavours.
andersonh1

Post by andersonh1 »

I agree. A repaint in G1 colors would be tempting.
138 Scourge
Supreme-Class

Post by 138 Scourge »

I dunno, the original Unicron may not be G1-accurate, but I figure he's close enough. And yeah, he is a nifty, nifty figure.

Overall, I think Primus is a niftier toy, but Unicron definitely wins as far as size, presence, and iconic quality go. Also, Dead End is a way cooler accessory than the Omega Lock.

So, yeah, I'd say the big guy holds up pretty well.
Dominic wrote: too many people likely would have enjoyed it as....well a house-elf gang-bang.
Dominic
Supreme-Class

Post by Dominic »

I still like the Unicron figure. (I traded mine after a few parts went missing though, so call me happy about the upcoming repack.)

It is a good toy, for all the reasons mentioned above. But, it does lose on a few points, mainly the planet chunks on the back. Those things are clumsy and hinder the toy.

Point of information about Dead End: Dead end was portrayed as a troop-builder in the cartoon, menaching other characters in the form of defense pods that floated around in/on Unicron like anti-bodies. The DW sourcebook said that each was copied from the form of an unfortunate Minicon imprisoned deep within Unicron.

I kind of like the Omega Lock, as it displays well with other Cybertron toys. (For example, I could have Prime holding it or something.)

Dom
JediTricks
Site Admin

Post by JediTricks »

Unicron is the benchmark for planetformers. It's a damn fun toy with lots of nifty gimmicks, its transformation is cheesy but not sleazy, and it makes for a really imposing robot mode. Primus I passed on because I never found it for the price I wanted, and he wasn't as big. SWTF Death Star/Vader on the other hand I bought right away and think of as nearly as keen as Unicron. So Unicron is a win in my book, and the last few fans I met and talked to really like Unicron (the last one really likes Unicron and Primus a lot).
See, that one's a camcorder, that one's a camera, that one's a phone, and they're doing "Speak no evil, See no evil, Hear no evil", get it?
Dominic
Supreme-Class

Post by Dominic »

I almost bought the Darth Star on discount. But, the mis-assembled Minicon fighters put me off.

Dom
-will probably replace his old Unicron.
Onslaught Six
Supreme-Class

Post by Onslaught Six »

The fighters don't transform, so they're not Minicons at all, but how are they misassembled, exactly?

Besiding that, the wings pop off at the drop of a hat, the damned things. It's annoying.

And Darth Star is insanely worth it. 86 recently discovered he has even 'more' sounds than we thought, if you hold the button that makes the Death Star fire.
BWprowl wrote:The internet having this many different words to describe nerdy folks is akin to the whole eskimos/ice situation, I would presume.
People spend so much time worrying about whether a figure is "mint" or not that they never stop to consider other flavours.
JediTricks
Site Admin

Post by JediTricks »

Dominic wrote:I almost bought the Darth Star on discount. But, the mis-assembled Minicon fighters put me off.
The pegs are hex-cut so they align the wrong way, but they're soft pegs so you can rotate them the proper orientation.
Onslaught Six wrote:The fighters don't transform, so they're not Minicons at all, but how are they misassembled, exactly?
I just explained how they're mis-designed. And you're incorrect, they do transform, they have little pop-up heads and fold-out attack tails, it's not much but it's something.
See, that one's a camcorder, that one's a camera, that one's a phone, and they're doing "Speak no evil, See no evil, Hear no evil", get it?
Dominic
Supreme-Class

Post by Dominic »

And, they were the first Minicons I had no desire to own.

Dom
-wonders if GI Joe/TF would have MInicons.