Armada Unicron

Acronyms and abbreviations are fun. That, or these lines don't deserve quite enough respect for full names.
Robots In Disguise, Armada, Energon, Cybertron - there, that's their names, happy now???
138 Scourge
Supreme-Class

Re: Armada Unicron

Post by 138 Scourge »

Son of a glitch, I double-posty. Bad me. Bad!
Last edited by 138 Scourge on Sun Aug 17, 2008 9:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dominic wrote: too many people likely would have enjoyed it as....well a house-elf gang-bang.
138 Scourge
Supreme-Class

Post by 138 Scourge »

Onslaught Six wrote:Unicron's got some other power, too, mind. His "voice" in planet mode is apparently enough to throw Megatron around like a ragdoll. What this means to the debate is anyone's guess, but.
Oh, man, I can see it now. The Death Star moves closer to Unicron, powering up it's planet-kililng cannon. Victory seems assured until from Unicron comes "Ma-ee-ahee, Ma-ee-aha, Ma-ee-ahee, Ma-ee-ahaha!" The force of Unicron's cosmic singing power shatters the death star in a manner not unlike a glass goblin.

Numa Numa Yay!
Dominic wrote: too many people likely would have enjoyed it as....well a house-elf gang-bang.
BWprowl
Supreme-Class

Post by BWprowl »

138 Scourge wrote:Oh, man, I can see it now. The Death Star moves closer to Unicron, powering up it's planet-kililng cannon. Victory seems assured until from Unicron comes "Ma-ee-ahee, Ma-ee-aha, Ma-ee-ahee, Ma-ee-ahaha!" The force of Unicron's cosmic singing power shatters the death star in a manner not unlike a glass goblin.

Numa Numa Yay!
A video of that would work wonderfully if you could get your hands on that G1 Unicron toy prototype. That thing had the girth to emulate Numa perfectly.
Dominic
Supreme-Class

Post by Dominic »

JediTricks wrote: it's cheating if you say "he sends proxies in advance", that's crap, this isn't a battle of their forces, it's a battle of those 2 individual weapons - I didn't toss a Super Star Destroyer or any of that in there, you don't get any friggin' heralds.

For someone who hates Unicron as much as you do, you sure know a lot about the guy.
I do know a lot about Unicron, and he is an over-powered gaming piece. Do I like it? No. But, Unicron is as Unicron does.

The Death Star has a crew, and oodles of fighters and such. I forget the crew compliment of the Death Star, but it is enormous.

Unicron was partly defeated in GI Joe/TF volume 4 by massive head trauma. And, in the cartoon, he could be soundly crippled without using a Matrix. So, let us assume a planet busting space station could hurt him. But, even taking away his heralds. he also has fear based powers (as seen in "Armada") and some teleportation, as seen in various comics. He could simply teleport the Imperial crew into the middle of space.

Dom
-see, see, this is the internet.
onslaught86

Post by onslaught86 »

If we take everything into account, we're sort of looking at some idealized composite body for 'cron, since this'd combine his several show, comic, and toy appearances. Did the Death Star (And are we dealing with DS mk1 or DS mk2, here?) have any notable EU deviations from the obvious abilities shown in the movies, JT?

'Cron's also got the laser eyes, and the deathly pink fog breath, and the alternate fire breath, all as seen in the Marvel US run.
Onslaught Six
Supreme-Class

Post by Onslaught Six »

I checked out the Death Star article on Wookiepedia a while back while looking for what the hell the gunners were called, and I didn't notice anything like that. But I could be wrong.
BWprowl wrote:The internet having this many different words to describe nerdy folks is akin to the whole eskimos/ice situation, I would presume.
People spend so much time worrying about whether a figure is "mint" or not that they never stop to consider other flavours.
onslaught86

Post by onslaught86 »

...You forgot what the 'Death Star Gunners' were called? Seriously?
Dominic
Supreme-Class

Post by Dominic »

The Death Star has a large crew compliment, wings of fighters and docking bays for larger ships.

It can move through space/hyper-space. It is shooty as all get out.

Let us assume that this is the MKI Death Star, as that is the only one that was shown completed. (I know the comics had another DS, but that is in a run that is only vaguely in context anyway.)

For the purposes of Unicron: Discount his more cosmic powers. No time travel. No dimension hoping. Assume limited telepathy only. He can transform. He houses some heralds/fleets of ships and henchmen.

Now, the exact circumstances of the fight come into play. Who approaches what from which angle? What is the effective range of both factions weapons and ships?

Dom
Onslaught Six
Supreme-Class

Post by Onslaught Six »

onslaught86 wrote:...You forgot what the 'Death Star Gunners' were called? Seriously?
I wanted to look through the page to find a link to them because I figured they were listed under some kind of crazy Star Wars universe name. There was no such link.
BWprowl wrote:The internet having this many different words to describe nerdy folks is akin to the whole eskimos/ice situation, I would presume.
People spend so much time worrying about whether a figure is "mint" or not that they never stop to consider other flavours.
JediTricks
Site Admin

Post by JediTricks »

onslaught86 wrote:There's always the catch 22 of the Matrix - "The one thing, the only thing, that can stand in my way."

Since Unicron's defeat is always macguffin-based, and straight-up assault always seems to be mass suicide (Although a case can be made for Circuit Breaker), it's arguable that he could just shrug off the Death Star's laser and slowly eat the thing.
Here's the thing though, that's a big supposition. We've never seen Unicron go up against power of that magnitude before, it's on the same scope as him.
But in terms of primary armament, I'm with JT, Unicron's planet mode does not have enough in the way of projectile weapons.

Examining the toy and the Armada appearance, I suppose he could use the great big chest cannon as a viable counter, should he have time to transform.
A stretch, but it has merit. Still, what does that cannon shoot? The world's silliest missile.

Dominic wrote:I do know a lot about Unicron, and he is an over-powered gaming piece. Do I like it? No. But, Unicron is as Unicron does.

The Death Star has a crew, and oodles of fighters and such. I forget the crew compliment of the Death Star, but it is enormous.

Unicron was partly defeated in GI Joe/TF volume 4 by massive head trauma. And, in the cartoon, he could be soundly crippled without using a Matrix. So, let us assume a planet busting space station could hurt him. But, even taking away his heralds. he also has fear based powers (as seen in "Armada") and some teleportation, as seen in various comics. He could simply teleport the Imperial crew into the middle of space.

Dom
-see, see, this is the internet.
First off, I'm going to argue that anything from just a few comics is out of bounds. Teleportation is also a sticky wicket because it's not only a ridiculous cheat but the Death Star has energy-based shields, and locking on to an entire crew of separate individuals seems highly unlikely anyway. And "fear-based powers", what the fuck is that? This is the Galactic Empire, they know fear, they use it to rule.
onslaught86 wrote:If we take everything into account, we're sort of looking at some idealized composite body for 'cron, since this'd combine his several show, comic, and toy appearances. Did the Death Star (And are we dealing with DS mk1 or DS mk2, here?) have any notable EU deviations from the obvious abilities shown in the movies, JT?

'Cron's also got the laser eyes, and the deathly pink fog breath, and the alternate fire breath, all as seen in the Marvel US run.
Ugh, fucking comics.

The Death Star 1 is what the toy is based around, but if we are melding, we can meld the larger size and power of the DS2 (faster firing rate as well), though I'll throw away the secondary, planetary-based shield from Endor. I don't think we need to include the parks and shopping malls and bars that the EU brought (I kid you not). But we can include the larger tractor beams, IG-88's brain at the center controlling everything (thus no need for a crew, eat it Dom ;)), and even the Star Destroyer drydocks which means it has Star Destroyers inside it (one source even has a Super Star Destroyer docked within), if need be.
Dominic wrote:The Death Star has a large crew compliment, wings of fighters and docking bays for larger ships.

It can move through space/hyper-space. It is shooty as all get out.

Let us assume that this is the MKI Death Star, as that is the only one that was shown completed. (I know the comics had another DS, but that is in a run that is only vaguely in context anyway.)
Let's not, there are other Death Stars out there, including the one in Star Tours and the prototype, and if the DS2 had been finished instead of blown up, that's what we'd be talking about. Plus, in terms of toys, there's Vader/Death Star which we can safely assume is not some cheapass knockoff but an idealized version.
For the purposes of Unicron: Discount his more cosmic powers. No time travel. No dimension hoping. Assume limited telepathy only. He can transform. He houses some heralds/fleets of ships and henchmen.

Now, the exact circumstances of the fight come into play. Who approaches what from which angle? What is the effective range of both factions weapons and ships?
The Death Star docks a lot of Star Destroyers and a Super Star Destroyer, so the fleet aspect is matched. I dunno of a large-scale, long-range weapon on Unicron that can match the awesome power of the Death Star, and since that's an energy-based weapon it has infinite range technically. The Death Star has a massive hyperdrive, but it takes a while to get moving in both sublight and hyperspeed. Then again, Unicron moves like he's in slow motion all the time. Of course, the Vader transformation angle is one we have to either ignore or address, because then Vaderbot there has the same size as Unicron, is more agile, has a cooler chest cannon, a bigass stormtrooper blaster, a friggin' lightsaber, and a CAPE!!! That alone gives it the win.
See, that one's a camcorder, that one's a camera, that one's a phone, and they're doing "Speak no evil, See no evil, Hear no evil", get it?