Love/Hate-A-Figure: Cybertron

Acronyms and abbreviations are fun. That, or these lines don't deserve quite enough respect for full names.
Robots In Disguise, Armada, Energon, Cybertron - there, that's their names, happy now???
Onslaught Six
Supreme-Class

Re: Love/Hate-A-Figure: Cybertron

Post by Onslaught Six »

I think that's part of what it is; those of us who saw figures we knew we wouldn't like just didn't buy them, and thus they're probably not coming up. I'd feel unfair criticizing Leobreaker since I don't own him.

Loved: Wreckloose. He's a Fuzor! Kind of. And he's got nifty articulation and a sweet asymmetrical design.

Hated: Er, ah, um. Maybe Armada would've been a better topic to start with.
BWprowl wrote:The internet having this many different words to describe nerdy folks is akin to the whole eskimos/ice situation, I would presume.
People spend so much time worrying about whether a figure is "mint" or not that they never stop to consider other flavours.
andersonh1

Post by andersonh1 »

Loved: Swerve. Neat little Clocker repaint in semi-Hot Rod colors. Nice detailing for a basic, and I love that it has the little leg panel trick that first appeared on Alternators.

Ok (since I don't hate any of the figures): Backstop, the basic Rhino. Great little Rhino mode, very different transformation than the norm. Stick the cyber key in his head and he's almost a Ceratops dinosaur. But the less-than-articulate robot mode loses him quite a few points.
Dominic
Supreme-Class

Post by Dominic »

My only real complaint about Clocker and Swerve is that they looked too much like Earth vehicles. Yes, I know Velocitron was a retro-future-scifi Kirby-fest. But, Clocker looked too much like an Earth vehicle.

Leo-Breaker is a piece of crap. I fiddled with a recolor of it. My first question to Lewis was "did I do something wrong". The Nemesis recolor actually fit my criteria, (toy that was easier to get in the US than any other country), for a subset, and I have never really regretted skipping it. Maybe if I managed to get a Megatron/Galvatron, (which I do regret never getting), it would bother me more.

Dom
-needs to dig Wreckloose and Hardtop out.
138 Scourge
Supreme-Class

Post by 138 Scourge »

Yeah, Leobreaker didn't look very cool at all. Skipped him...four times, now? Regular, nemesis, red lion Prime, white Lion Prime. Yeah. That thing looks bad in any color scheme. As for the why so many Scouts have come up in this thread, well, there were a lot of 'em in the line, and most all of 'em were pretty damn good for their size and price. I think Wreckloose was the only Scout from Cybertron that I missed, and that wasn't deliberate, I just sorta didn't get around to him, is all.
andersonh1 wrote: Ok (since I don't hate any of the figures): Backstop, the basic Rhino.
Wow, anderson, I'd have sworn that Backstop was a love-it-or hate it kinda guy, I think that you might be the first person I've seen say he was "Ok".

Speaking of:

Love: Backstop. Weird lookin' little bastard, but he's cool in his way. Just in terms of freak value and repeated discussions about him on the old boards, that's been a lot of fun for my seven bucks.

Hate (or at least, didn't care that much about): Hot Shot. Any version, ever. The only time I've wanted to buy a toy of that guy was the Cybertron Defense variety, and that was because of his rad toy more than his uninteresting character.
Dominic wrote: too many people likely would have enjoyed it as....well a house-elf gang-bang.
Dominic
Supreme-Class

Post by Dominic »

Definitely not a fan of Backstop. But, I did buy one to have a figure so universally despised.

I rather liked "Cybertron" Hotshot though. It was a solid rendition of the character, and it nicely conveyed the idea of a guy who had "gone native" on Velocitron.

Dom
-wanted more Gigalonians.
andersonh1

Post by andersonh1 »

138 Scourge wrote:Wow, anderson, I'd have sworn that Backstop was a love-it-or hate it kinda guy, I think that you might be the first person I've seen say he was "Ok".
There's a lot to like about Backstop, but it's just not quite good enough that I have a lot of enthusiasm for the figure. But it's not quite bad enough that I dislike it either. So it's just kind of "ok", with a weak robot mode but great beast mode and interesting transformation scheme.
donosaur
Gestalt Combiner

Post by donosaur »

Man, I HATED Wreckloose, but I knew there was a lot of enthusiasm for him. The hideous colors! The weird ass janky legs! Crappy little vestigal legs hanging off the robot legs! The only thing going for this guy was the antler helmet, whose awesomeness is apparent.

Backstop rules, the end.
.................................................................................................................................................................... _,_,_..
...................................................................................................................................................................(..vvvvv
..................................................................................................................................................................(..../"/"
.........................................................................................................................................................(\.....(.....) )
......................................................................................................................................................... \ \../../hh hh
andersonh1

Post by andersonh1 »

I really like Wreckloose, but that's because I featured him so prominently in my Beast Machines photocomic over on TFW2005 that I worked on for a couple of years. He made a pretty good technorganic Predacon. I had to Photoshop the Decepticon insignia off of him every time it showed up though.
Onslaught Six
Supreme-Class

Post by Onslaught Six »

Ha, I forgot about that thing. 86 thought it was pretty boss.

Ditto on loving Backstop. I took him to Otakon last year and bought ROTF Ravage on the way. The whole weekend, my friend was using a Michael Bay fanboy voice for Ravage, to counter Backstop's depressed, cynical Britishism.

"Hey. Hey. Hey. Hey. Hey."
"WOT?!"
"You know what's a good movie? Revenge of the Fallen. Because I was in it!"
BWprowl wrote:The internet having this many different words to describe nerdy folks is akin to the whole eskimos/ice situation, I would presume.
People spend so much time worrying about whether a figure is "mint" or not that they never stop to consider other flavours.