Armada Smokescreen - Comprised primarily of suck?

Acronyms and abbreviations are fun. That, or these lines don't deserve quite enough respect for full names.
Robots In Disguise, Armada, Energon, Cybertron - there, that's their names, happy now???
Dominic
Supreme-Class

Re: Armada Smokescreen - Comprised primarily of suck?

Post by Dominic »

I had a nasty time finding Quickmix. Menasor was a nail-biter, being a new-molded tail-ender that was also a US exclusive. Metroplex did not vanish over-night, but I do not recall great numbers of it.

Dom
onslaught86

Post by onslaught86 »

I'll say it depends on the toys themselves. For those who recall that one fellow making dubious 'art' out of Transformer parts, I took some offense that he used rarer figures like Lioconvoy. When it comes to kids, if it's a wide-release figure from a line that isn't collector-specific (ala Alternators and Titanium, which would surely be trashed), then kids are the primary target market. I take no issue with kids having Cybertron toys whatsoever. Given the choice, sure, if you've been hunting for ages and it's a rare figure, definitely survival of the fittest. But when it comes down to it, we have more options to choose from when it comes to sourcing figures, and can always buy online or from fellow fans. Kids may not have this advantage.
BWprowl
Supreme-Class

Post by BWprowl »

I don't really mind kids getting ahold of toys, as long as I've snapped up my own by the time they come into the aisle (for the record, I've NEVER seen a kid walking off with the last of something that I wanted in hand). I mean, if the kids have a toy, It's out of sight, out of mind for me, I don't really care what they're doing with it, since chances are if I wanted it, I already have it.

Of course, this may be because, in my area, scalpers are a greater threat to toy acquisition than kids are.

And I had no trouble finding the Giant Planet guys. Which is impressive, since I bought all three of them in the middle of Classics being released.
Dominic
Supreme-Class

Post by Dominic »

onslaught86 wrote:I'll say it depends on the toys themselves. For those who recall that one fellow making dubious 'art' out of Transformer parts, I took some offense that he used rarer figures like Lioconvoy. When it comes to kids, if it's a wide-release figure from a line that isn't collector-specific (ala Alternators and Titanium, which would surely be trashed), then kids are the primary target market. I take no issue with kids having Cybertron toys whatsoever. Given the choice, sure, if you've been hunting for ages and it's a rare figure, definitely survival of the fittest. But when it comes down to it, we have more options to choose from when it comes to sourcing figures, and can always buy online or from fellow fans. Kids may not have this advantage.

I agree to a point. Yes, we have more options. But, for some of those options to work, collectors still have to be able to get the toys. I have picked up rows of 25A Joes for friends. I have even warned parents I was doing this before I started, to give them time. (I assumed their kid would only take 1 or 2 of the many I would take.) But, with stuff like "Universe" Ultras, those are going to be tough to get no matter what happens.

A few years back, during the end of "Cybertron", I was looking for the Minicon 2-packs. The 3rd and 4th waves of those were difficult to find. As it turned out, store were only getting partial cases, meaning it was nearly impossible to find the new product in those waves. (A central wharehouse would get full cases, and break them up, sending the remnants to individual stores.) Considering that each of the last 2 waves had build-up teams,......

I was approaching the toy aisle at a local Target, and a kid lobbying his granny for a TF. He wanted a deluxe. She offered to get him a Minicon. :shock:

I could see that there was a new Minicon pack at about hand level. I could not tell which ones, but I knew I did not have them. Her hand was ominously close the Minicons...... :shock: when suddenly, the kid again pulled towards the deluxes. The granny tried to tell him he could get a Minicon.

At this point, I was right behind them. Using more flexibility and speed than I thought I had the capacity for, I swooped in, and snagged 2 of the 3 packs from wave 4. :o

I quickly scanned the other rows of Minicon packs, and saw nothing. In one case, it was the only copie I ever saw of the Wave 4 Minicons, so yes, it was worth it.

What? What? What are you looking at?

The kid did not even want the damned things. He was not likely to ever get a complete wave, and he probably would have trashed the ones he got. Don't you judge me. You would have done exactly the same thing had you been there.

Dom
-what?!?!?! what??!?!
138 Scourge
Supreme-Class

Post by 138 Scourge »

Damn Wave Four. I think I saw them...yeah, the once. And never all of 'em. So, yeah, I'd have done the same thing.

At least I finally found the last of Wave Three. That was getting on my nerves, not having the last third of them...
Dominic wrote: too many people likely would have enjoyed it as....well a house-elf gang-bang.
Dominic
Supreme-Class

Post by Dominic »

Yeah, I recall trying to find those for you. Sorry I could not have been of more help.

Dom
138 Scourge
Supreme-Class

Post by 138 Scourge »

Eh, no biggie. Thanks for the attempt, anyhow.

Wave Four doesn't bother me as much as missing part of Wave Three did. I've got the Enerceptor molds, and the Space Team...eh, I'll find the molds eventually.
Dominic wrote: too many people likely would have enjoyed it as....well a house-elf gang-bang.
donosaur
Gestalt Combiner

Post by donosaur »

Man I hope they redeco/rerelease Menasor someday.
.................................................................................................................................................................... _,_,_..
...................................................................................................................................................................(..vvvvv
..................................................................................................................................................................(..../"/"
.........................................................................................................................................................(\.....(.....) )
......................................................................................................................................................... \ \../../hh hh
Onslaught Six
Supreme-Class

Post by Onslaught Six »

donosaur wrote:Man I hope they redeco/rerelease Menasor someday.
Yes. As Twin Twist. Or something.
BWprowl wrote:The internet having this many different words to describe nerdy folks is akin to the whole eskimos/ice situation, I would presume.
People spend so much time worrying about whether a figure is "mint" or not that they never stop to consider other flavours.
andersonh1

Post by andersonh1 »

I'd rather see Twin Twist get a whole new mold than a Menasor recolor. I thought Cybertron Menasor wasn't a very good Transformer, personally, but I liked both Jumpstarters. New molds for Topspin and Twin Twist would be great.