Armada figure updates you'd like to see in Universe

Acronyms and abbreviations are fun. That, or these lines don't deserve quite enough respect for full names.
Robots In Disguise, Armada, Energon, Cybertron - there, that's their names, happy now???
andersonh1

Armada figure updates you'd like to see in Universe

Post by andersonh1 »

With the update of Armada Hot Shot in Universe, it got me wondering what other figures from Armada that I'd enjoy seeing updated. Armada is a line that I didn't necessarily enjoy at first, but I came to appreciate it as I bought more figures, and I look back quite fondly on it now. Hot Shot is a pretty good update, with a few flaws that could have been corrected, and I'd enjoy seeing a few other figures get similar treatment. We actually got a few good updates already with bendy Prime and Cybertron Red Alert, but some more would be welcome.

- Starscream: a no-brainer, since Starscream is one of the top-tier characters of the franchise. The original figure is decent and enjoyable enough, but the plane is pretty ad-hoc with lots of robot bits trying to be plane components, and a very bulky design. A redesign of this figure with the mini-con gimmick intact would be great.

- Smokescreen: I'm really fond of Armada Smokescreen, but the figure could use more articulation. As long as they retain the winch gimmick, I'd be happy.

- Star Saber: I love the original figures, but they don't hold together very well as the sword. A remolded/redesigned team that made for a much stronger sword would be great.

repaint: if they'd released TRU Unicron in G1 colors, I might have been tempted.
Onslaught Six
Supreme-Class

Re: Armada figure updates you'd like to see in Universe

Post by Onslaught Six »

Scavenger. A decent character with an alright design marred by a horrible horrible gimmick. Just look at his show model, and how much better that looks.
BWprowl wrote:The internet having this many different words to describe nerdy folks is akin to the whole eskimos/ice situation, I would presume.
People spend so much time worrying about whether a figure is "mint" or not that they never stop to consider other flavours.
BWprowl
Supreme-Class

Post by BWprowl »

Wheeljack. They could use the wonders of modern toy technology to give him TWO wrist swivels!

Also:

HASBRO WHERE IS MY UNIVERSE IRONHIDE WITH KICKER?!
Dominic
Supreme-Class

Post by Dominic »

I second the Star Saber.

Also, it might be nice if Hasbro took another shot at Leader-class Optimus or Ultra Megatron. Both toys had good ideas, but the execution did not quite work.

Dom
-still has tremendous affection for "Armada".
andersonh1

Post by andersonh1 »

Megatron would be improved simply by some more leg articulation. Knees and thigh movement would give the figure far more movement potential. I would also enjoy seeing some kind of cover integrated with the design that would turn it from an h-tank to an actual tank.
Dominic
Supreme-Class

Post by Dominic »

I was also thinking on improving the functionality of the leg-cells. They concept of Megatron imprisoning Minicons was great, but the execution, (with only 1 Minicon mold since '02 being able to fit in even one of the the cells), was poor.

Heck, I could go for upgrading Megatron or Tidal Wave to "Supreme" class, and adding a base/gulag mode with Minicon cells.

Dom
Mirage
Gestalt Combiner

Post by Mirage »

I'd love to see a new Tidal Wave. The original figure was great, but I thought the character had a lot of lasting potential that hasn't been realized. Heck, why stop at Universe? How awesome would it be to see Animated Omega Supreme going toe-to-toe with Animated Tidal Wave? TOO awesome, that's how.
I disappear.
Dominic
Supreme-Class

Post by Dominic »

Why not "Energon" Omega?

Either way, yeah, it would be good.
onslaught86

Post by onslaught86 »

My vote goes to Sideways. He's an excellent design and a fun character that really didn't come out as quite the toy he could've been. They hit on a winning concept with the combining Mini-Con rider headmaster, but the figure was let down by the lack of articulation, doofy-looking bike mode, and ovecomplex missile gimmick. Considering he'd be an excellent nod to Headmasters as well, it'd cover several bases.
andersonh1

Post by andersonh1 »

Sideways is not a bad idea for a remake. I was tempted on the original because he was essentially a headmaster, but I just didn't care for the figure enough to actually buy it. But the character was interesting enough that a redesigned figure would be worth having.