Factions in the Beast era

"What? Transformers made from animals instead of vehicles and stuff? Doesn't sound so great, throw it to Kenner division, maybe they can make a quick buck or something."
Beast Wars, Machine Wars, Beast Machines... seeing a pattern? Coming soon: "Wars Wars"
onslaught86

Re: Factions in the Beast era

Post by onslaught86 »

O6 nailed it. Furman works for Hasbro, and thus he can make that call. BW2 and Neo are out, and his Ass-Ending is in.
Well, this is assuming there's some sort of set finite 'main' continuity rather than the tentacle monster-esque reality. Furman's books cannot co-exist with BW2 and Neo as they directly contradict each other, therefore one can choose to go with one set of fiction over the other. Just because Furman's books came out more recently does not mean they're any more 'right', it's not like they've erased BW2 and Neo from ever existing. Look at the manga vs. the show.

I fully acknowledge that those two series are pretty stupid, too, but they're a more enjoyable flavour of stupid.
Dom
-wonders why the hell he reads comics.
Because we do occasionally get gems like Reign of Starscream and Spotlight Kup. They're worth picking through everything else for. Plus, if we weren't talking about how much we hate comics, we'd be talking about how much we hate other things.

- o86, is astonished at the price of a lettuce these days.
Onslaught Six
Supreme-Class

Post by Onslaught Six »

onslaught86 wrote:I fully acknowledge that those two series are pretty stupid, too, but they're a more enjoyable flavour of stupid.
Yes. At least BWII and Neo, you can 'laugh' at and poke fun at. The IDW BW crap is just 'bad.'

QUICK RAZORBEAST IS INFECTED WITH A VIRUS SO OPTIMUS MINOR HAS TO KILL HIM. BUT ONLY AFTER RAZORBEAST KILLS ALL THE BLENTRONS.
Because we do occasionally get gems like Reign of Starscream and Spotlight Kup. They're worth picking through everything else for. Plus, if we weren't talking about how much we hate comics, we'd be talking about how much we hate other things.
And Atomic Robo. Yes, I am praising a series I have not actually read. I 'know' it's good. Plus I read the Free Comic Book Day issue when the dude put it online, so I've gotten a taste and now I so want more.

If you'd like to read it too:
http://nuklearpower.com/daily.php?date=080721
Screw lettuce.
BWprowl wrote:The internet having this many different words to describe nerdy folks is akin to the whole eskimos/ice situation, I would presume.
People spend so much time worrying about whether a figure is "mint" or not that they never stop to consider other flavours.
BWprowl
Supreme-Class

Post by BWprowl »

Don't worry Six, I've read all of it, and you can rest assured that you're praising a very good series (Although the Eisner nominations make for a pretty good tip-off). Hell, I liked it so much that after I'd gotten all the issues, I went and picked up the trade anyway! Because I really really really don't want these guys to go out of business...

Got the first issue of Dogs of War this week. Mmmm....
onslaught86

Post by onslaught86 »

Screw lettuce.
Eet Mor Froot.

Read the third and fourth issues of Reign of Starscream today, and while they're not as keen as the second, it's a good solid story. So hey.
Dominic
Supreme-Class

Post by Dominic »

Sparky Prime wrote:
Dominic wrote:(Well, I guess if you read "Civil War" I can give it to you, or "One More Day".)
"One More Day" would get my vote for worst series. It was by far the worst story I've ever read in comics.

I know people who would argue that the Clone Saga or the Green Goblin's kids are worse than "One More Day", but that is open to debate.

"Countdown" is far worse than OMD. Say what you will about OMD, it delivered what it promised, while "Countdown" did not, despite having more hype and being more expensive.

The last issue of RoS was fantastic. Starscream has a bold plan to unite and revitalize Cybertron, but is plagued by doubts. (And, hey look, back to the subject of factions....)

Dom
-notes that rising oil prices lift all commodities prices, and sink many boats.
Mako Crab
Supreme-Class

Post by Mako Crab »

I don't even read Spiderman and I thought OMD was the worst thing ever. Honestly, everyone in the world has to deal with death at some point in their lives. I don't care that Spidey thought it was his fault. A million people throughout history have been in the exact same position. So in order to set this right, he makes a deal with the Marvel devil and erases his marriage and his three daughters from existence so he can have wheat cakes in the morning again, courtesy of Aunt May.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spider-Girl#Other_versions

The Spiderman currently running around is a farce. To my knowledge he's completely oblivious of his past life, so he's just out there, happy-go-lucky, fighting crime and all the while unaware of what a complete, total ass he is. How can they ever redeem him, when everything he does now is under the pretense of throwing his entire life anway EVEN THOUGH everyone including Aunt May herself told him not to do it. It's character assassinatin of the worst kind.
Sparky Prime
Supreme-Class

Post by Sparky Prime »

Dominic wrote:I know people who would argue that the Clone Saga or the Green Goblin's kids are worse than "One More Day", but that is open to debate.
The Clone Saga was a bit of a mess but when all was said and done with that story, nothing had really changed. Ben Reilly really had been the clone and no major parts of continuity had actually been altered. The Norman/Gwen twins... I do have to say that story almost made me drop ASM at that time because I hated it so much. It was just completely out of character to say Gwen had ever done something like that. But still, neither were as big of a train wreck as OMD.
Dominic wrote:"Countdown" is far worse than OMD. Say what you will about OMD, it delivered what it promised, while "Countdown" did not, despite having more hype and being more expensive.
Well I can't say that I read all of Countdown myself, but I'd actually have to say I enjoyed what I did read. Anyway, regardless of what each of these stories did or didn't deliver, OMD is just a story they shouldn't have done in the first place, and espechially not with how they've handled the whole thing.
Mako Crab wrote:The Spiderman currently running around is a farce. To my knowledge he's completely oblivious of his past life, so he's just out there, happy-go-lucky, fighting crime and all the while unaware of what a complete, total ass he is. How can they ever redeem him, when everything he does now is under the pretense of throwing his entire life anway EVEN THOUGH everyone including Aunt May herself told him not to do it. It's character assassinatin of the worst kind.
Exactly. And that's not even all OMD did or changed. It's really too bad. I would have rather seen them take the character forward after Civil War and all that happened instead of back to where he was in the 1970's.
Dominic
Supreme-Class

Post by Dominic »

onslaught86 wrote:
Well, this is assuming there's some sort of set finite 'main' continuity rather than the tentacle monster-esque reality. Furman's books cannot co-exist with BW2 and Neo as they directly contradict each other, therefore one can choose to go with one set of fiction over the other. Just because Furman's books came out more recently does not mean they're any more 'right', it's not like they've erased BW2 and Neo from ever existing. Look at the manga vs. the show.

I fully acknowledge that those two series are pretty stupid, too, but they're a more enjoyable flavour of stupid.

The thing is that for the purposes of official Western Context, BW2 and Neo are out, and the Ass-Ending is in. I am not a fan of multiverses in general, and tend to avoid any theory that assumes a multiverse not explicitly listed as existing. For example, I buy into the 52 at DC, but do not like having to assume the existence of others in other franchises as that requires me to do the writer's work for them.

As for "Countdown", it all goes bad at some point in the 20s. If you can get past the DBZ-esque destruction of Earth 15, you have to get throught "Arena". After that, the battle for Earth 51 happens, and every plot thread is drawn to an utterly retarded ending that fails to deliver on the teaser image. I swear, DC deliberately made "Countdown" bad as a piece of performance art intended to comment on the state of comics.

Sparky, you aint read nuthin'. Go read some of my old blogs, from around January to May. See my reviews. Watch me despair.

Dom
-is a complain-a-con.
Sparky Prime
Supreme-Class

Post by Sparky Prime »

Dominic wrote:As for "Countdown", it all goes bad at some point in the 20s. If you can get past the DBZ-esque destruction of Earth 15, you have to get throught "Arena". After that, the battle for Earth 51 happens, and every plot thread is drawn to an utterly retarded ending that fails to deliver on the teaser image. I swear, DC deliberately made "Countdown" bad as a piece of performance art intended to comment on the state of comics.

Sparky, you aint read nuthin'. Go read some of my old blogs, from around January to May. See my reviews. Watch me despair.
I've read parts of those issues actually. In that respect at least Countdown primarily takes place in other universes rather than the main DC universe. That way they can do some major damage with out actually doing it to the main universe. Unlike OMD, which screws up things in the main Marvel universe.
Gomess
Supreme-Class

Post by Gomess »

Lol@ "other universes" being used as a normal turn of phrase. Science is rolling in its grave!

But um, this teaser image for Countdown... can anyone reveal it to me? I find it interesting when adverts "lie", or fail to deliver. Don't wanna make the same mistake in my own stuff, really.
COME TO TFVIEWS oh you already did