Razorbeast's characterisation

"What? Transformers made from animals instead of vehicles and stuff? Doesn't sound so great, throw it to Kenner division, maybe they can make a quick buck or something."
Beast Wars, Machine Wars, Beast Machines... seeing a pattern? Coming soon: "Wars Wars"
Shockwave
Supreme-Class

Re: Razorbeast's characterisation

Post by Shockwave »

Dominic wrote:I have my hobbies yes. But, I am not half-assedly appropriating IP and changing it to appear creative.
If Gomess has a story he wants to tell and wants to use the BW characters in the tech spec setting to tell it, what's wrong with that? As long as he can convey his ideas and his story effectively there's nothing wrong with choosing that as the setting.
Mako Crab
Supreme-Class

Post by Mako Crab »

138 Scourge wrote:Yeah, yeah, yeah, Dom, this is all well and good if Gomess was trying to sell this story or something, or brand stuff with these characters as a totally original creation. But since he's writing this story for fun, then he's totally doing exactly what Hasbro wants people to do with their toys. He's playing with 'em and making his own adventures featuring those characters. Just not actually using the toys, is all.
This.
Thanks, Scourge, because I honestly had no idea what to say in response to Dom's remarks. Blows me away.
138 Scourge
Supreme-Class

Post by 138 Scourge »

Mako Crab wrote:
138 Scourge wrote:Yeah, yeah, yeah, Dom, this is all well and good if Gomess was trying to sell this story or something, or brand stuff with these characters as a totally original creation. But since he's writing this story for fun, then he's totally doing exactly what Hasbro wants people to do with their toys. He's playing with 'em and making his own adventures featuring those characters. Just not actually using the toys, is all.
This.
Thanks, Scourge, because I honestly had no idea what to say in response to Dom's remarks. Blows me away.
I just call 'em like I see 'em, man. Glad my thoughts worked for you.
Dominic wrote: too many people likely would have enjoyed it as....well a house-elf gang-bang.
Gomess
Supreme-Class

Post by Gomess »

Dominic wrote:I am not half-assedly appropriating IP and changing it to appear creative.
Your ability to just make shit up about other people baffles me. I don't *need* to "change IP to appear creative", because I spend every weekday coming up with original ideas. That's what I do for a living. So if, at the weekend, I want to write a story about some toys, that's my prerogative, isn't it?

I'm pandering to no audience but myself, because I don't need to. I'm writing for the pleasure of writing, as a hobby. I don't give a toss if you read it or not, but incidentally, I appreciate the optimism the rest of you guys are showing. I didn't think the idea of BW transplanted to the 50s~60s would appeal to most folk, and I hope I don't let you down. If there's anything you particulalry like or dislike about it, go ahead and let me know once it starts going up!
Dominic wrote:never said the songs were good or nothin'.
Oh, well, that's alright then. :roll: You still asked for help that time, and I gave it. I ask you for help, and you vent spleen. Why do you *still* refuse to acknowledge that you were needlessly rude to me? Everyone else seems to have noticed. =/

Anyway, things are coming along (naming an Italian character proved surprisingly difficult!), and I should be posting something next week-ish. Even Dom is encouraged to give his opinion.
Last edited by Gomess on Mon Jun 27, 2011 2:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
COME TO TFVIEWS oh you already did
Onslaught Six
Supreme-Class

Post by Onslaught Six »

I still think it'd be better set in the 90s, of course, but if you can make it work...
BWprowl wrote:The internet having this many different words to describe nerdy folks is akin to the whole eskimos/ice situation, I would presume.
People spend so much time worrying about whether a figure is "mint" or not that they never stop to consider other flavours.
Gomess
Supreme-Class

Post by Gomess »

Whether it works for you or not is for you to decide (do let me know). But the 90s weren't exactly known for their B-movie-ness, so I wouldn't feel comfortable crowbarring that aspect into it.

...I mean, there ARE 90s B-movies, but I'd feel even less comfortable having Roddy Piper and Tracy Scoggins play the human leads.

(And of course, O6 doesn't need to read ANYTHING I create, for fun or profit, since I still haven't listened to his music. =3)
COME TO TFVIEWS oh you already did
Onslaught Six
Supreme-Class

Post by Onslaught Six »

Gomess wrote:(And of course, O6 doesn't need to read ANYTHING I create, for fun or profit, since I still haven't listened to his music. =3)
Come on, fucker! It's not hard. Click the link in my sig. Pick an album. Press play. Listen. You can even do so while you are writing.
BWprowl wrote:The internet having this many different words to describe nerdy folks is akin to the whole eskimos/ice situation, I would presume.
People spend so much time worrying about whether a figure is "mint" or not that they never stop to consider other flavours.
Ursus mellifera
Supreme-Class

Post by Ursus mellifera »

Onslaught Six wrote:Come on, fucker! It's not hard. Click the link in my sig. Pick an album. Press play. Listen. You can even do so while you are writing.
There's music? Neat, what kind?
Check it out, a honey bear! http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kinkajou
Shockwave
Supreme-Class

Post by Shockwave »

It's metal. He's pretty good. Tidal Wave is a particular fave of mine.
Onslaught Six
Supreme-Class

Post by Onslaught Six »

'Industrial' metal! Well, I mean, I flip back and forth between the two, got a real schizophrenia problem there. The last full album mostly hovered towards industrial but there were a couple that didn't quite fit into that, and now the one I'm working on is definitely the way I've been trying to sound for a few years now. It's like Skinny Puppy and Metallica and Wumpscut had a baby. Link's in the sig.