Razorbeast's characterisation

"What? Transformers made from animals instead of vehicles and stuff? Doesn't sound so great, throw it to Kenner division, maybe they can make a quick buck or something."
Beast Wars, Machine Wars, Beast Machines... seeing a pattern? Coming soon: "Wars Wars"
Dominic
Supreme-Class

Re: Razorbeast's characterisation

Post by Dominic »

You asked me what my problem with your ideas was, and I answered you.

Dom
-really, misunderstanding a post on purpose? Off to TBH.
Gomess
Supreme-Class

Post by Gomess »

D'oh, I'm the one in the wrong again! What are the chances? =p

Well, I shall be throwing some story ideas round with my IRL writing and art buddies this weekend, so the rest of you can expect a few questions!

...Especially on insect gender, that stuff blows my mind.
COME TO TFVIEWS oh you already did
Shockwave
Supreme-Class

Post by Shockwave »

Wow. If Prowl is considered late to this party, then I must be... I dunno. Whatever.

Razorbeast: I always imagined him having a voice like Puumba from Lion King. But that's just because of his alt mode, which I'm probably wrong about. But yeah, the characterization from the comic wasn't good. You'd be better off writing something unrelated based on his spec (and I'm willing to bet it would be far better than anything official that's been put out).

As for genders, most ant and insect species are inherently female. Most ant colonies only have like one or two males for the entire colony and their only job is basically to constantly mate with the queen. Who's main job is cranking out babies. Spider gender is largely denoted by size and markings. Most female spiders are much larger than their male counterparts. Tarantulus' size (if the show weren't accounting for the fact that he's a robot) would indicate a female alt mode. Blackarachia's alt mode color would suggest a male alt mode. I have seen a male black widow, it was half the size of the female and kind of yellowish in color.

The beast heads I think could probably be the result of all of the ideas provided and could be unique to each bot. One could have one from lycanthropy, one developed as armor, one as a sort of "sensor mask". Or they could even be used for disguise. Like let's say Cheetor has to go spy on the Preds, the beast head could be used so the he could go and be like "see me? I'm totally not Cheetor cause my head's all different!" Ok, maybe that would suck..

Dom, let it go. Writing doesn't have to be official to be good. And as we've proven with our Furman argument, Official doesn't garuantee good either. People create for enjoyment and if G wants to create some BW fiction for his own enjoyment then he has the freedom to do so and the fact that it's not official content doesn't automatically mean that it's going to suck.
BWprowl
Supreme-Class

Post by BWprowl »

Gomess wrote:
BWprowl wrote:See, the Mutant Heads could be something they get from Megatron's insidious bio-experiments, kidnapping innocent Transformers and inducting them into the nefarious Predacon organization as Remodeled Cybertronians. Until ONE ROBOT escaped and decided to stand up to Megatron's evil, and wear his Mutant Headed Mask for justice as-wait, wait, never mind.
You say "never mind", I hear "affectionate homage to one of my favourite series". That said, there isn't a grasshopper in BW, so it'd be kinda forced. =[ ...Unless I portrayed Ramhorn as a tubby version of Kabuto. X]
That was kinda my point, that'd it be silly and forced. It did make me wonder why there's never been a TF with a Grasshopper Beast Mode before, since you know if the Japanese side of things was involved that they'd totally put that homage in there somehow.

So Ramhorn is Kabuto, Buzzsaw is ZeBee, Insecticon is Gatack, Scorpinok is Sasword... (Dammit this is too silly!)

Dom, I think that, unless you're trying to get your house turned into an official display area at Botcon or Toyfair, you should stop buying and displaying toys in there. I mean, it's totally self-indulgent and serves no purpose other than one unto itself. And customizing your own Transformers? Unless you're planning to get a job at Hasbro, that's a complete waste of time. And why do you keep writing those parody songs if you're not going to pitch them to record labels?
Gomess
Supreme-Class

Post by Gomess »

Yeah... It's just a bit sad that when Dom asked me for advice on his parody songs, I gladly gave it, without saying "overly sophomoric parody songs are a waste of time and intellect".

I don't like songs about bums and poop, but I DO like helping people with their creative projects. If Dom doesn't work that way, that's fine, but it's hypocritical to sincerely ask for help with your ideas and give nothing but a hard time to mine. Would you rather I'd "stuck to my guns" and refused to help you 'cos I don't think arses are funny? Dom = Trinacron? =o

Anyway, cheerio, hopefully I'll have something cool to show y'all upon my return.
COME TO TFVIEWS oh you already did
Shockwave
Supreme-Class

Post by Shockwave »

Kickback and that other deluxe insecticon.

Also, I'm very interested to see what Gomess does with these characters in this setting.
Ursus mellifera
Supreme-Class

Post by Ursus mellifera »

Gomess wrote:...Especially on insect gender, that stuff blows my mind.
I LOVE me some bugs.
Check it out, a honey bear! http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kinkajou
Ursus mellifera
Supreme-Class

Post by Ursus mellifera »

Gomess wrote:Anyway, cheerio, hopefully I'll have something cool to show y'all upon my return.
I SO have a suggestion for Airazor, but I don't know what kind of audience this story is for.
Check it out, a honey bear! http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kinkajou
Shockwave
Supreme-Class

Post by Shockwave »

I think it's primarily for Gomess and anyone he feels like sharing it with.
Dominic
Supreme-Class

Post by Dominic »

BWprowl wrote:Dom, I think that, unless you're trying to get your house turned into an official display area at Botcon or Toyfair, you should stop buying and displaying toys in there. I mean, it's totally self-indulgent and serves no purpose other than one unto itself. And customizing your own Transformers? Unless you're planning to get a job at Hasbro, that's a complete waste of time. And why do you keep writing those parody songs if you're not going to pitch them to record labels?
I have my hobbies yes. But, I am not half-assedly appropriating IP and changing it to appear creative.

Most of my custom figures are either obvious parodies (SG Thundercracker) or are there to fill in gaps that I see as obvious gaps . In the latter case, I base them on something with legitimate precedent, (Deep Cover from Sideswipe or police Sunstreaker ala Takara). The idea is to make something that might look legitimate unless somebody had a full product listing. (I tend to abandon or scrap projects that do not meet that basic standard.) If I had the skill and resources to make the next Steelskin, (still a damned fine custom after ~15 years), I take a shot at it, while avoiding coming across as the collector analogue of a backyarder.

Dom
-never said the songs were good or nothin'.