Razorbeast's characterisation

"What? Transformers made from animals instead of vehicles and stuff? Doesn't sound so great, throw it to Kenner division, maybe they can make a quick buck or something."
Beast Wars, Machine Wars, Beast Machines... seeing a pattern? Coming soon: "Wars Wars"
Gomess
Supreme-Class

Re: Razorbeast's characterisation

Post by Gomess »

Scourge, Gomess' official ideas developer wrote:I believe that proves it's a winner.
WELL I GUESS SO

See, you guys DO like fanfic. Y'all think you're just having a goofy conversation, but you're actually providing raw data for my fiendish experiments.
COME TO TFVIEWS oh you already did
Dominic
Supreme-Class

Post by Dominic »

I would count creatively misreading tech specs as changing a character.

Dom
-would assume the mechanized head options to be representations of the true robot.
Gomess
Supreme-Class

Post by Gomess »

Dominic wrote:I would count creatively misreading tech specs as changing a character.
"It" and "she" aren't mutually exclusive. It's not creatively *mis*reading; it's just a creative interpretation. You know, the basis of all good fanfic (not that you believe in such a thing).
Dominic wrote:would assume the mechanized head options to be representations of the true robot.
Yeah, so the mutant heads would be.. what..? This is where the interest lies, for me. I love how weird some of them are, particularly Cheetor/Tigatron's.
Dominic
Supreme-Class

Post by Dominic »

"Creative interpretation" sounds like something a literary theorist would fall back on. In all seriousness, pushing or outright ignoring owner intent is a form a changing something.

As for the mutant heads, maybe they would be something like your organic armour idea. If you assume that the characters are robots, (because, ya know that is what Hasbro intended them to be), and that they took organic alternate modes as a sort of HazMat armour, then the mutant heads would be some kind of helmet/hood.

Dom
-just ignores them like the show did.
Gomess
Supreme-Class

Post by Gomess »

Dominic wrote:In all seriousness, pushing or outright ignoring owner intent is a form a changing something. If you assume that the characters are robots, (because, ya know that is what Hasbro intended them to be)
Ssssssiiiiiiiiimooooonnnnn Fffffuuuuurrrrrrmaaaaaaan :roll:

...Regardless, my Buzzsaw's a chick. End of. Call me Mr Changey McChangerson.

I like the idea of the mutant heads being HazMat helmets, but I've already decided that the organic forms aren't there to protect them from energon like they were in the show, so not sure that fits.

The lycanthropy idea is growing on me, actually.
Last edited by Gomess on Tue Jun 21, 2011 3:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dominic
Supreme-Class

Post by Dominic »

But, what purpose would lycanthropy serve beyond "werewolves are kewl"?

Furman was hired by Hasbro (via Marvel), and had license to write what he did.
Gomess
Supreme-Class

Post by Gomess »

Dominic wrote:But, what purpose would lycanthropy serve beyond "werewolves are kewl"?
Uh.. You watched Beast Wars, right? I have vague memories of their being maybe one episode where their beast forms' animalistic natures filter through to their intelligent Transformer brains. In fact, I seem to recall one character for whom that was a big deal... He turned into a cheetah, but I can't for the life of me remember his name. Leopord? Tigor? Anyway, I liked Mainframe's idea, there. The identity crisis of effectively having two faces might mess a fictional life-form up in previously unknown, arbitrary and plot-contrived ways!

For real though, it makes sense to me.
Dominic wrote:Furman was hired by Hasbro (via Marvel), and had license to write what he did.
Soooo you're implying that I'm disrespecting Habsor by changing their stuff? Or Kenner? This is a big problem with faceless, non-creator-owned properties like Transformers. Who exactly created Buzzsaw? I'd talk to them if I could. But I'm really getting beyond caring. I'm having much more fun imagining late 50s / early 60s situations in which the Beast Warriors might find themselves.

...And, really, can you blame me? The points you're raising so far hardly qualify as constructive criticism, Dom. -_-
Dominic
Supreme-Class

Post by Dominic »

Why does the fact that a property has a corporate owner devalue owner intent. Hasbro/Kenner, a legal entity, hired people to design toys and develop IP on its behalf. I know that the EU does not have the UCC proper, but you likely have some analogue for it. Agents (employees) act on behalf and in the name of their employers, including corporations. They have the right to generate and define characters in accordance with their employer's interests.

Furman had that right by virtue of working for Marvel, (effectively making him a sub-agent). He was acting consistently with Hasbro's order. You are changing so much that you might as well not even be using the names.

Dom
-and "Call of the Wild" already dealt with the mind/body problem.
Gomess
Supreme-Class

Post by Gomess »

Dominic wrote:You are changing so much that you might as well not even be using the names.
So uh... Were you one of the posters who thought a true BW reboot with nothing to do with Mainframe's show or the G1 universe was a good idea or a bad idea? 'Cos honestly, your only REAL problem with my ideas (which, I have to point out, are nowhere near cemented yet) seems to be that they're not official. And... that's just silly. Fanfic, Dom. Fanfic.
Dominic wrote:"Call of the Wild" already dealt with the mind/body problem.
You're right. And someone wrote a story about a soldier who didn't like war once, so no one should try that again.

...Dom, seriously, I don't wanna make this personal, but decide whether or not you want to help me with this idea, 'cos this discussion is going nowhere for either of us. Scourge and Ursus might've been taking the piss for all I know, but at least they've given me positive answers and ideas without sweeping generalisations about how I'm wasting my time. =/
Dominic
Supreme-Class

Post by Dominic »

Think of this as a discussion on the philosophy of narrative or something.

An official reboot is different than a fan appropriating bits of a franchise. And, even a full "Man of Steel" style reboot still keeps certain things intact. (For example, Clark Kent is still from Kansas, and is not a former crack dealer....)

Dom
-almost tempted to send an abstract to IDW.