Razorbeast's characterisation

"What? Transformers made from animals instead of vehicles and stuff? Doesn't sound so great, throw it to Kenner division, maybe they can make a quick buck or something."
Beast Wars, Machine Wars, Beast Machines... seeing a pattern? Coming soon: "Wars Wars"
Gomess
Supreme-Class

Razorbeast's characterisation

Post by Gomess »

Woo, the BW threads are coming thick and fast from Mr G1 over here!

Ok, before I get into this: He's clearly a razorback boar, not a warthog. Note the tusks, the length of the neck, and the shape of the back. And while we're at it, the frill-necked dragon IS a member of the Iguania order, so Iguanus' name DOES make sense.

anyway...

Razorbeast's tech spec essentially describes him as a Maximal Rumble; short, stubborn, makes a point of starting on guys bigger than him, but ultimately loyal to his commander, as curing his Short Man's Disease isn't so important to him that he'd risk insubordination.

What I wanna know is more about his depiction in The Gathering(?), which I think is the one he has a major role in? (Hey, I'm not gonna buy it!) I heard that Magmatron decides that Razorbeast was the Bravest Bot He Ever Did Know, so I assume he was at least courageous.
COME TO TFVIEWS oh you already did
Onslaught Six
Supreme-Class

Re: Razorbeast's characterisation

Post by Onslaught Six »

This is the other thing I hate about The Gathering. Fuck Razorbeast! Nobody but Will Smith ever liked him.
BWprowl wrote:The internet having this many different words to describe nerdy folks is akin to the whole eskimos/ice situation, I would presume.
People spend so much time worrying about whether a figure is "mint" or not that they never stop to consider other flavours.
Gomess
Supreme-Class

Post by Gomess »

Er, I believe that was RazorBEAK, O6. ;p

Srsly tho gaiz

Answers plz
Dominic
Supreme-Class

Post by Dominic »

Razorbeast is portrayed as a competent spy. He infiltrates Magmatron's group with orders to observe for as long as possible. Lion Prime (or whatever the correct name for him is) tells Razorbeast to observe if possible. If Razorbeast has to actively hinder Magmatron, he is told to de what he can "and start running".

Razorbeast also makes the transparently stupid decision to tie up Ravage....using rope, instead of just shooting him or something.

Dom
-no, seriously.
Gomess
Supreme-Class

Post by Gomess »

Ok, he's a spy, so I guess he's levelheaded (totally contradicting his tech specs, whatever) but what's his personality like?

i'm starting to worry i might've asked the wrong question =/
Dominic
Supreme-Class

Post by Dominic »

There is nothing about the comic that really says "yeah, this is the guy from the back of the box".

And, yeah, competent and level-headed more or less describe Razorbeast.

Dom
-thinks we would do better to lobby IDW....
Gomess
Supreme-Class

Post by Gomess »

Dominic wrote:thinks we would do better to lobby IDW....
You might, but the only way *I* can be guaranteed I'll like a story is to write it myself. All power to you, like.
Dominic
Supreme-Class

Post by Dominic »

In all seriousness though, who reads fanfic?

Honestly, how many people tune out or ignore a post when they see the words "this is my fanfic", "in my personal fanon", or something similar?

The only fanfics I even glance at are those written by DvD. And, even then, *glance* is the operative phrase.

If we are going to put time and energy into something like this, we may as well try to ensure that it is something more than fannish self-indulgence.

And, as stated before, there has not been any need for fanfic since the beginning of the UT.

Dom
-has barely bothered with fanfic in over a decade.
Gomess
Supreme-Class

Post by Gomess »

Dominic wrote:In all seriousness though, who reads fanfic? ... there has not been any need for fanfic since the beginning of the UT.
You, uh... You don't really *get* the creative process, do ya? =3

I don't give a toss who reads fanfic. There is such a thing as creating for oneself without "indulging" oneself. Everytime you imply that fanfic is inherently poor, you're basically saying, "If you aren't getting paid to write, then you're a bad writer," and as someone with a brain in his head, you MUST know that's bollocks.

I'm a good writer. And I want to write stories about BW. So I'm gonna. And they'll be good. Read them if you like. Offer constructive criticism if you like. But don't be a generalising dick.
Dominic
Supreme-Class

Post by Dominic »

I am not saying that getting paid is the same as being good. (If nothing else, there are plenty of talentless hacks who get paid.) I have not been paid for my writing in some time. The last thing I submitted to anybody is sitting on somebody's desk, unlikely to be used in the near future if at all. Even if it gets used, I will not be paid anything resembling market rate if at all. (I might get a free lunch out of it....at most.)

What I am saying is that writing fanfic is a wasted effort. If you have talent, use it towards something that will matter, rather than something inherently derivative that property holders will ignore, and in many cases are barred from reading. For all the effort you put into this, we might as well develop a solid abstract for a revised BW series and pitch it to IDW. Even if none of us get a job for out trouble, (and you would be most entitled to that job), it would us on the radar of the people who actually have a right to publish TF content.

That is a hell of a lot better than "here is my fanfic about a show from 10+ years ago".

Dom
-actually does have a pretty good understanding of the creative process.