Revisiting BEAST WARS

"What? Transformers made from animals instead of vehicles and stuff? Doesn't sound so great, throw it to Kenner division, maybe they can make a quick buck or something."
Beast Wars, Machine Wars, Beast Machines... seeing a pattern? Coming soon: "Wars Wars"
BWprowl
Supreme-Class

Re: Revisiting BEAST WARS

Post by BWprowl »

Gomess wrote:"I couldn't let them get away with that canon!" 4 TFViews anti-fanwank meme nao.
What, are you trying to canonize it?

Oh god...
Gomess
Supreme-Class

Post by Gomess »

...Won't let me get away with it, huh?
COME TO TFVIEWS oh you already did
Mako Crab
Supreme-Class

Post by Mako Crab »

:shock: I'm just glad someone pointed this out to me now, because there's a real good chance that I'll have to use that word in....oh, say..... 49 more episodes.
JediTricks
Site Admin

Post by JediTricks »

Onslaught Six wrote:It just occured to me that Primal is clearly holding his swords backwards. They should definitely be going the opposite way.
Depends on how one would want to use them. They seem to have an edge on both sides, so the way it's shown would be a "ripper" edge for doing heavy damage but slower and requiring more force. The other side is curved more like a traditional sword so it'd be better for fast slicing.
See, that one's a camcorder, that one's a camera, that one's a phone, and they're doing "Speak no evil, See no evil, Hear no evil", get it?
onslaught86

Post by onslaught86 »

As mentioned, the instructions do show him holding the swords the way they're depicted in the show. The toy just seems to make more sense holding them the other way.
JediTricks
Site Admin

Post by JediTricks »

onslaught86 wrote:As mentioned, the instructions do show him holding the swords the way they're depicted in the show. The toy just seems to make more sense holding them the other way.
And we all know how awesomely accurate the instructions are. ;)
See, that one's a camcorder, that one's a camera, that one's a phone, and they're doing "Speak no evil, See no evil, Hear no evil", get it?
Onslaught Six
Supreme-Class

Post by Onslaught Six »

BW-era instructions actually sorta 'were,' though. It's only recently that things have gone downhill.

Hell, Primal's instructions go out of its way to point out all the gimmicks. Compare that to, say, TFU Primal's instructions--the 'same toy'--which, IIRC, had far less stuff going on.
BWprowl wrote:The internet having this many different words to describe nerdy folks is akin to the whole eskimos/ice situation, I would presume.
People spend so much time worrying about whether a figure is "mint" or not that they never stop to consider other flavours.
onslaught86

Post by onslaught86 »

Yeah, Beast-era instructions are a really different kettle of fish. They date back to an era when hi-res photography was extremely uncommon, we only got the tiny catalogue and website photos to go off of. It's partly why I like the era so much, there's heaps to discover with each individual toy. For the most part, the instructions are excellent, and many show little tricks with the transformations that you'd not pick up unless you paid really close attention.

For example, Rampage has a totally legitimate second robot mode configuration, with the claws above his shoulders. It's pretty cool, too.

And Obsidian's forearms are supposed to turn sideways, the upper joint is the true elbow.

This is also why I insist on spelling "Tankorr" with two R's.
Mako Crab
Supreme-Class

Post by Mako Crab »

TheMightyMollusk on the Allspark forums pointed out the similarity between Primals' blades and a Yatagan.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yatagan
BWprowl
Supreme-Class

Post by BWprowl »

onslaught86 wrote:This is also why I insist on spelling "Tankorr" with two R's.
And watching his eye glow!