Beast Wars Omnibus

"What? Transformers made from animals instead of vehicles and stuff? Doesn't sound so great, throw it to Kenner division, maybe they can make a quick buck or something."
Beast Wars, Machine Wars, Beast Machines... seeing a pattern? Coming soon: "Wars Wars"
Dominic
Supreme-Class

Beast Wars Omnibus

Post by Dominic »

Beast Wars Omnibus: Aside from a few tweaks to the sourcebook section, this volume does nothing to improve IDW's shabby effort to revive the Beast-era. The 2 comic series, reprinted here, were bad. The source-book was an aimless mix of "changing established context for the heck of it" and "fitting in every toy". While some of the formatting and coloring flubs have been fixed, there is still plenty wrong with the sourcebook as presented here. Considering that this is the 3rd attempt at the sourcebook, the mistakes are all the more glaring. The glossary at the end does little to help justify reprinting the sourcebook. Many of the problems with individual character entries carry over to the glossary. My favorite incident of this is the use of Megatron as shown in "Infiltration", despite that series not meshing at all with "Beast Wars", and the entry in question referencing a "Beast Wars" episode. The only nice thing I can say about this volume is that it is compact, meaning it is not possible to have the content on hand while using less shelf space. Of course, wanting the content to being with is another thing entirely. Grade: F
Onslaught Six
Supreme-Class

Re: Beast Wars Omnibus

Post by Onslaught Six »

Wait, what? They accidentally used a pic of G1 Megs from Infiltration...in a BW book? My God.

That said, I'm not surprised, IDW doesn't seem to have given much a crap about the series. Just like the fans!
BWprowl wrote:The internet having this many different words to describe nerdy folks is akin to the whole eskimos/ice situation, I would presume.
People spend so much time worrying about whether a figure is "mint" or not that they never stop to consider other flavours.
BWprowl
Supreme-Class

Post by BWprowl »

Oh for- Dom, you bought this just so you could slam it in a review, didn't you? 'Fess up!
Dominic
Supreme-Class

Post by Dominic »

No. That was part of it. But, I also wanted to have all of the content in one place. The Omnibus is easier to store than the original issues, which I can now sell/trade/give-away to a kid.

Dom
BWprowl
Supreme-Class

Post by BWprowl »

Aha, so you DO enjoy making kids cry then?
onslaught86

Post by onslaught86 »

Dominic wrote:The Omnibus is easier to store than the original issues, which I can now use as packing material/put through a paper shredder/set on fire and cackle at gleefully/turn into a paper mache Furman voodoo doll.
Fixed.
Dominic
Supreme-Class

Post by Dominic »

Wow. That is some real hate there.

Dom
-has reconsidered giving the comics to a little kid.
onslaught86

Post by onslaught86 »

Okay, I will forgive you for saving any Roche covers. Particularly fond of this one with Lioconvoy, which took me a while to find. Man, I had forgotten how awful Figueroa's beast art is. The beast sections have no detailing, they just look like coloured areas of skin, or more bits of robot. And he has no idea how to draw animals. That Roche Lioconvoy is swanky, though.
Onslaught Six
Supreme-Class

Post by Onslaught Six »

I always wanted LioConvoy to sacrifice himself like Aslan. Just for pun points.
BWprowl wrote:The internet having this many different words to describe nerdy folks is akin to the whole eskimos/ice situation, I would presume.
People spend so much time worrying about whether a figure is "mint" or not that they never stop to consider other flavours.
Sparky Prime
Supreme-Class

Post by Sparky Prime »

onslaught86 wrote:Man, I had forgotten how awful Figueroa's beast art is. The beast sections have no detailing, they just look like coloured areas of skin, or more bits of robot. And he has no idea how to draw animals.
What are you talking about? What you're describing sounds more like Frank Milkovich's work to me. Figueroa does excellent beast artwork IMO.