updated Beast Machines figures in Universe

"What? Transformers made from animals instead of vehicles and stuff? Doesn't sound so great, throw it to Kenner division, maybe they can make a quick buck or something."
Beast Wars, Machine Wars, Beast Machines... seeing a pattern? Coming soon: "Wars Wars"
Onslaught Six
Supreme-Class

Re: updated Beast Machines figures in Universe

Post by Onslaught Six »

3H's Rotorbolt character was intended to eventually use this new Obsidian mould, which is why he was drawn show-accurate as opposed to toy-accurate like Skywarp.
BWprowl wrote:The internet having this many different words to describe nerdy folks is akin to the whole eskimos/ice situation, I would presume.
People spend so much time worrying about whether a figure is "mint" or not that they never stop to consider other flavours.
onslaught86

Post by onslaught86 »

Sparky Prime wrote:There is so much they could do with a Beast Machines character in Universe... Hardly any of the figures were show accurate the first time around, so really any attempts to do that for a figure would be an improvement. Even figures more to scale with what they were in the show would be nice.
I doubt Universe would really be the place to go for show-accuracy, considering Cheetor and Dinobot. It would've been extremely welcome, to be sure, just didn't seem to be high on Hasbro's agenda. Influenced by, but definitely a reinterpretation. Takara's Dinobot is probably the closest to a new, show-accurate figure we've gotten from the whole line.

Although I'll note there's an argument to be made for Starscream's more accurate repaints.
Sparky Prime
Supreme-Class

Post by Sparky Prime »

onslaught86 wrote:I doubt Universe would really be the place to go for show-accuracy, considering Cheetor and Dinobot.
The Beast Wars figures are a completely different story. Most of those figures were fairly close to show accurate in the first place. Beast Machines on the other hand was decidedly not.
BWprowl
Supreme-Class

Post by BWprowl »

Sparky Prime wrote:
onslaught86 wrote:I doubt Universe would really be the place to go for show-accuracy, considering Cheetor and Dinobot.
The Beast Wars figures are a completely different story. Most of those figures were fairly close to show accurate in the first place.
Yeah... There are more examples besides this one, but it's the quickest to trot out...
Sparky Prime
Supreme-Class

Post by Sparky Prime »

BWprowl wrote:Yeah... There are more examples besides this one, but it's the quickest to trot out...
:roll: Honestly... I said "Most of those figures were fairly close", meaning different degrees of show accuracy, not that they were all show accurate. Obviously some BW figures were less so than others. Still, I'd say they were closer in accuracy than the BM figures.
BWprowl
Supreme-Class

Post by BWprowl »

Eh, I'll concede that once Season 2 hit, the characters became pretty toy-accurate, but really there're a lot of S1 examples where characters were barely closer to their toy counterparts than the G1 guys were. Rhinox, Airazor, Terrorsaur, Scorponok, Blackarachnia, and to a degree, Cheetor all stick out in my mind in this regard.
Sparky Prime
Supreme-Class

Post by Sparky Prime »

I'd disagree. Granted, they weren't perfectly accurate to the show counterparts but there was more resemblance than the BM figures. Save for maybe Blackarachnia...
onslaught86

Post by onslaught86 »

Heh. Does amuse me the way that went in reverse - the early BW animation models weren't very accurate to the toys, so they ensured later ones were. The early BM animation models went in a very different direction to the toys, so they made the later toys more accurate to the models. It's also interesting to consider the way they're handling the same problem with the movie toys now. BM's issue being that the show and toys were rushed and went off the same concept designs giving each different interpretations, the movie's certainly tying it closer.

I'd really like to see a BM comic using the toy designs, that'd be delightfully different. It could come after the BW reboot we've been pining for.
The Beast Wars figures are a completely different story. Most of those figures were fairly close to show accurate in the first place.
Well, also considering all the other Universe figures who look little like the animation models while still drawing influences from them. Cheetor and Dinobot struck me as relevent considering the era. Henkei Dinobot's close-ish to Dinobot's animation model, I suppose. Universe just strikes me as consisting mostly of reinterpretations and updates rather than show-accurate new toys. I think that's mainly due to the fiction no longer being current, newer designs appealing more to the target audience, and the design team wanting to produce something new.

Certainly not saying I wouldn't want it, just that it wouldn't be that likely. It's a real shame the only nod BM got from the 25th anniversary was Robot Heroes Tankorr and Cheets.

Also, I'll come out and say this here since, well, I'm posting here right now, but thanks, Sparky. As much as we do all disagree with you a lot, it's great to have opposing views voiced and voiced well. It'd be terribly boring if we just had a board where we all agreed with each other. "Oh, hey, I liked that new episode!" "Me too! I liked this and this!" "Same here!" "Well, same time next week, chaps?"
So thanks for, hey, having a different opinion, especially since it means we heckle you a bit. ;)
Dominic
Supreme-Class

Post by Dominic »

I second that. Thanks Sparky.

But, really O86, why are you bringing up...ATT here?

Dom
-no, no, I am sorry. Should not have made that second comment.
BWprowl
Supreme-Class

Post by BWprowl »

Heh, I was actually thinking about the whole Sparky thing myself recently, and have to say I'm in agreement. Thanks for not only having a different opinion, but for being able to argue it and defend it like a sensible human being. This is FAR more preferable to having, say, GHX around as our only source of discussion.