updated Beast Machines figures in Universe

"What? Transformers made from animals instead of vehicles and stuff? Doesn't sound so great, throw it to Kenner division, maybe they can make a quick buck or something."
Beast Wars, Machine Wars, Beast Machines... seeing a pattern? Coming soon: "Wars Wars"
andersonh1

updated Beast Machines figures in Universe

Post by andersonh1 »

Along the same lines as my Armada question, what Beast Machines figures would benefit from an upgrade? Leave aside sales potential, as the apparent shelfwarming status of Universe Cheetor and Dinobot might make future Beast figures questionable.

Silverbolt: one of the worst alt modes ever. The Condor just doesn't work on so many levels. A transformation scheme similar to Animated Swoop might make for a good BMac Silverbolt.

Obsidian: larger and more show-accurate. I'd snap this one up. It would be number one on my list of redesigns.

Thrust: yeah, the cycle drone did the job of giving us a show-accurate Thrust. But I'd love a deluxe sized version.
onslaught86

Re: updated Beast Machines figures in Universe

Post by onslaught86 »

Ultra Tankorr. SCREW their too-many-tanks argument. Myself and Prowl have long pined for a Supreme Tankorr, and all the awesome that could have been.
BWprowl
Supreme-Class

Post by BWprowl »

'86 beat me to it. The Supreme Class was MADE for Tankorr, but I admit that I would settle for an Ultra at this point. As JT said last time this was brought up, the toy could even have *real* treads, since Tankorr's don't do anything crazy for transformation. And a light-up roving eye? And flip-out buzzsaws? And an included Key to Vector Sigma? God, I know I'm dreaming on this one, but I've been dreaming for over a decade, so why stop now?

Also, this isn't strictly Universe, but if Hasbro felt like retooling the Titanium Optimal Optimus into an Optimal Megatron, even as an exclusive of some sort, I wouldn't argue.
andersonh1

Post by andersonh1 »

BWprowl wrote:'86 beat me to it. The Supreme Class was MADE for Tankorr, but I admit that I would settle for an Ultra at this point. As JT said last time this was brought up, the toy could even have *real* treads, since Tankorr's don't do anything crazy for transformation. And a light-up roving eye? And flip-out buzzsaws? And an included Key to Vector Sigma? God, I know I'm dreaming on this one, but I've been dreaming for over a decade, so why stop now?

Also, this isn't strictly Universe, but if Hasbro felt like retooling the Titanium Optimal Optimus into an Optimal Megatron, even as an exclusive of some sort, I wouldn't argue.
I like both ideas. I'd really go for an Ultra-sized Tankorr.
Dominic
Supreme-Class

Post by Dominic »

That would be a perfect BM 10th Anniversary toy.

Dom
Mirage
Gestalt Combiner

Post by Mirage »

andersonh1 wrote:Along the same lines as my Armada question, what Beast Machines figures would benefit from an upgrade? Leave aside sales potential, as the apparent shelfwarming status of Universe Cheetor and Dinobot might make future Beast figures questionable.

Silverbolt: one of the worst alt modes ever. The Condor just doesn't work on so many levels. A transformation scheme similar to Animated Swoop might make for a good BMac Silverbolt.

Obsidian: larger and more show-accurate. I'd snap this one up. It would be number one on my list of redesigns.

Thrust: yeah, the cycle drone did the job of giving us a show-accurate Thrust. But I'd love a deluxe sized version.
I may be remembering incorrectly, but weren't Silverbolt and Obsidian due to receive deluxe versions in the later assortments of Beast Machines, but the line ended first? I was hoping for both, as the Silverbolt design rated a *much* better toy than that travesty (though I did repaint one to be more show-accurate several years ago)-- and the Obsidian figure, while a nice little basic, is one of the Beast Machines lines hallmark abominations of scale.
I disappear.
Dominic
Supreme-Class

Post by Dominic »

BM Silverbolt always gets a chuckle out of me. The fact that bird was pooping the robot's head appeals to me on a level I should have out grown long before the first G1 toys were sold.

Dom
-heh, poop.
onslaught86

Post by onslaught86 »

There were, if memory serves, listings for all sorts of abandoned BM product. I spent some time researching it a few years ago and dug up old rumours and info. The chief ones involved a Mega Obsidian and a Deluxe Silverbolt, neither of which have surfaced. There were also, interestingly enough, listings for TM2 Basic repaints, and a BM release of Gigatron, who'd reportedly have been sold as having 'Techno-organic vehicle modes'. The US release of Car Robots nixed both of those, mind you.

I really would love a huge Tankorr. Anything Vehicon. Or a rerelease of Air Attack Primal with new/more voice clips, a better paint job, and a closing mouth!

Also, Dom, that's awesome.
Sparky Prime
Supreme-Class

Post by Sparky Prime »

There is so much they could do with a Beast Machines character in Universe... Hardly any of the figures were show accurate the first time around, so really any attempts to do that for a figure would be an improvement. Even figures more to scale with what they were in the show would be nice.
andersonh1

Post by andersonh1 »

onslaught86 wrote:There were, if memory serves, listings for all sorts of abandoned BM product. I spent some time researching it a few years ago and dug up old rumours and info. The chief ones involved a Mega Obsidian and a Deluxe Silverbolt, neither of which have surfaced.
I had never heard that. I'm guessing the figures never got past the planning stage, or else we might have seen the prototypes. Transtech prototypes have turned up after all. But I can believe that it was planned, since we did get show accurate figures as the line progressed, showing that the designers were trying to respond to the discrepancies between the show and the figures. The tank and cycle drones match the show, and both blast punch Primal and Supreme Primal are far closer to the show look than the original figure.