updated Beast Machines figures in Universe

"What? Transformers made from animals instead of vehicles and stuff? Doesn't sound so great, throw it to Kenner division, maybe they can make a quick buck or something."
Beast Wars, Machine Wars, Beast Machines... seeing a pattern? Coming soon: "Wars Wars"
Shockwave
Supreme-Class

Re: updated Beast Machines figures in Universe

Post by Shockwave »

They sucked because it was all just so fanwankish. I mean the little things that were put in there just for the hell of it for no reason at all. Like Hunter's last name being O'Nion. Really? We needed a nod to the Onion in there? Did they really just run out of ideas for last names or what? Like "I'm a fan of the Onion so his last name's going to be Onion!" :roll: Right.
Onslaught Six
Supreme-Class

Post by Onslaught Six »

I think it was more like Furman wanted to do a running gag where his name is always mispronounced, since it's not actually pronounced Onion. He makes a big stink about this in one of the early issues. I don't fault him for wanting to do it, I fault him for the execution--the name isn't a 'pun' or anything. If it was an amusing, if harmless, double entendre or something, I'd be down.

That kind of thing, though, that's not fanwankish. Fanwank would be if Batman came back to life next week and announced his return as "I'm the God Damned Batman."
BWprowl wrote:The internet having this many different words to describe nerdy folks is akin to the whole eskimos/ice situation, I would presume.
People spend so much time worrying about whether a figure is "mint" or not that they never stop to consider other flavours.
Shockwave
Supreme-Class

Post by Shockwave »

Onslaught Six wrote:That kind of thing, though, that's not fanwankish. Fanwank would be if Batman came back to life next week and announced his return as "I'm the God Damned Batman."
He does, but in a robot body played by ROTF Soundwave.

Wait this isn't the wish thread. Damn it.
138 Scourge
Supreme-Class

Post by 138 Scourge »

I dunno, I sorta liked the first arc of Furman's IDW comics, anyhow. Distinct new take on G1, at a time when that was still novel. The redesigns were all pretty good, the leader guys weren't always around, and they even managed to do two issues in a five-or-six issue arc that were basically car chases, and I still liked 'em. Beat the hell outta DW's Sunstorm story, anyhoo.
Dominic wrote: too many people likely would have enjoyed it as....well a house-elf gang-bang.
onslaught86

Post by onslaught86 »

I liked Infiltration too, it just..didn't go anywhere, then he went all cosmic gibberwank with the spotlights and the eeeevil parallel universe plot, sigh. Definitely with you on Sunstorm, Sunstorm was awful. But! The few issues after that, prior to DW's demise, were among my favourite neo-G1 stories. Y'know, with Sideswipe, Sunstreaker, Bumper, and the Insecticons. They managed to cram more fanwanky injokes into a few pages than I'd seen done anywhere else. Nightbird! Takotank! Good times.
Shockwave
Supreme-Class

Post by Shockwave »

Not to mention the Diaclones in the stasis tanks with Sunstorm. I dunno why, but I likes me some Diaclones.
138 Scourge
Supreme-Class

Post by 138 Scourge »

Yeah, and then the bit where Megatron went around making a collection of kicked-off asses? Magic. That series really got good after the interminably boring Sunstorm arc. Sigh.

The Insecticon story was great. Two issues worth of story in two issues? Amazing. Friggin' Sunstorm's bit oughtta have been over by issue three, tops.
Dominic wrote: too many people likely would have enjoyed it as....well a house-elf gang-bang.
Shockwave
Supreme-Class

Post by Shockwave »

Seriously, they dragged that thing out waaaaay to long.