Mix'n'match BW Combiners

"What? Transformers made from animals instead of vehicles and stuff? Doesn't sound so great, throw it to Kenner division, maybe they can make a quick buck or something."
Beast Wars, Machine Wars, Beast Machines... seeing a pattern? Coming soon: "Wars Wars"
SynjoDeonecros
Dinobot

Mix'n'match BW Combiners

Post by SynjoDeonecros »

I've been thinking of starting a project with kitbashing BW Magnaboss and BWN/BM Magmatron, but I'm not very good at extensive customization. Mainly, I want to see about finagling Magnaboss' "head" (the Prowl/Silverbolt combination) onto the t-rex part of Magmatron. Having owned Magnaboss, I know how the gestalt transformation for it works, but I'm unfamiliar with that of Magmatron, so I'm not sure exactly how much finagling I'd need to do with it.
Dominic
Supreme-Class

Re: Mix'n'match BW Combiners

Post by Dominic »

Huge amounts. "Huge" as in "you damned well better want this" amounts.

Magmatron's head consists of a smaller piece of a smaller toy than either Prowl or Silverbolt is alone.

Dom
-curious about what you are planning this for.
onslaught86

Post by onslaught86 »

So..Magmaboss, or Magnatron? Heh.

You could not transplant the entire head assembly, there simply is not enough room in Magmatron's components to cram in a lion 'and' eagle head. It would, however, potentially be possible to carve out Magmatron's face and chuck Magnaboss's in there.

I'm curious too, why? And also slightly disappointed there's no awesome pics of, say, Tripredacus with Magnaboss limbs.
SynjoDeonecros
Dinobot

Post by SynjoDeonecros »

It's for a cross-franchise kitbash I was thinking of doing. I'm a big Yu-Gi-Oh fan, and I noticed after looking at the figure that, with a bit of kitbashing, I could make Magnaboss and its components into approximations of a few monsters from the game. Thing is, I may have to steal some parts from Magmatron to get the look to work. I'm wondering if I could just transfer the legs of Magmatron onto Magnaboss, or if even that is incompatible. If you want pictures of what I mean, just let me know.
onslaught86

Post by onslaught86 »

I'm assuming here that you don't intend for them to transform at all, else you'd end up with an elephant sporting giant dinosaur legs, heh. It may be possible to do a straight leg swap. But it wouldn't be cheap or pretty, and both Magses are very very good toys..possibly too good to do that to, unless you're dealing with junkers.
SynjoDeonecros
Dinobot

Post by SynjoDeonecros »

onslaught86 wrote:I'm assuming here that you don't intend for them to transform at all, else you'd end up with an elephant sporting giant dinosaur legs, heh. It may be possible to do a straight leg swap. But it wouldn't be cheap or pretty, and both Magses are very very good toys..possibly too good to do that to, unless you're dealing with junkers.
Transform into their animal modes? No, definitely not. Go from 3 individual robot modes to their gestalt mode? Yes.

I think a picture comparison of what I'm talking about is best suited for this:

Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image

Something like that. I know I've got a lot of painting and modifying to do (like finding some way of reversing Silverbolt's and Prowl's feet so they look like they do in the card art), but other than that, and the problems I described earlier, it looks like I should be able to do it with little problem. And I AM going to try and get my hands on some complete but used figures for this project. So, what'cha think? Any suggestions on how to do this?
BWprowl
Supreme-Class

Post by BWprowl »

Well reversing Silverbolt's feet shouldn't be a problem, they can just pop off and be flipped around.

Otherwise, I gotta say...damn, I wonder if the guys who do the card art weren't looking at Magnaboss for inspiration when they dreamed those monsters up, there's WAY too many similarities in there to ignore. As it stands, you're still looking at some heavy modification, but it definitely seems plausible, providing you want it badly enough.

PS: Knowing what little I do about the Yu-Gi-Oh card game (Medanite got me playing for a while. I use a dinosaur-themed deck that I keep in packets with an *adorable* fairy on them. Shut up.), Heraklinos looks to be a powerhouse. Could you conceivably have more than one of him in your Extra Deck, making it possible to use the reshuffled components to summon him *again* if you wanted to?
onslaught86

Post by onslaught86 »

Hey, you wouldn't even need Magmatron bits for that, Magnaboss is close enough. Just needs some green wings and a new hat - Could probably mod his chest to work without Silverbolt's wings, and then have those mounted on his back.
SynjoDeonecros
Dinobot

Post by SynjoDeonecros »

BWprowl wrote:Well reversing Silverbolt's feet shouldn't be a problem, they can just pop off and be flipped around.

Otherwise, I gotta say...damn, I wonder if the guys who do the card art weren't looking at Magnaboss for inspiration when they dreamed those monsters up, there's WAY too many similarities in there to ignore. As it stands, you're still looking at some heavy modification, but it definitely seems plausible, providing you want it badly enough.

PS: Knowing what little I do about the Yu-Gi-Oh card game (Medanite got me playing for a while. I use a dinosaur-themed deck that I keep in packets with an *adorable* fairy on them. Shut up.), Heraklinos looks to be a powerhouse. Could you conceivably have more than one of him in your Extra Deck, making it possible to use the reshuffled components to summon him *again* if you wanted to?
You can have up to 3 Heraklinos in your Extra Deck for reshuffling; my roommate has a pure GB deck, and he uses that strategy constantly, usually in conjunction with Gyzarus (he summons Gyzarus out, activates its effect, attack, return it to the Extra Deck for its components, then fusion into Heraklinos).

Now that I think about it, though, I think Ironhide would work better as this guy instead:

Matches the body shape better than Hoplomus, and the color scheme fits better with what Heraklinos is supposed to have.