G1 season three thoughts

The originals... ok, not exactly, but the original named "The TransFormers" anyway. Take THAT, Diaclone!
Generation 1, Generation 2 - Removable fists? Check. Unlicensed vehicle modes? Check. Kickass tape deck robot with transforming cassette minions? DOUBLE CHECK!!!
Gomess
Supreme-Class

Re: G1 season three thoughts

Post by Gomess »

Onslaught Six wrote:I know G might call this blasphemy
Not blasphemy, but certainly generous to Furman!
Onslaught Six wrote:The way Zarak and Scorponok learned to cooperate made it so that, by the time of his death, they were one complete being.
Head canon is a wonderful thing. =p

C'mon, they just *forgot* Zarak existed. I mean, correct me if I'm wrong, but he was *only* referred to as Scorponok by that point. And when he died, his face was all melty, and no one was like O SHIT THAT MEANS ZARAK IS ALL MELTY, were they?

But, yeah, it's still a neat idea, the cooperation between man and machine. I've actually never seen a TF story that pulls it off well. Season 4 so easily could've done that, developing those brief flashes of character we got in The Rebirth.

(I particularly loved that Mindwipe brainwashed Vorath. That could've been awesome once it was developed. As it is, they dropped the idea even before The Rebirth was over. -_-)
COME TO TFVIEWS oh you already did
Onslaught Six
Supreme-Class

Post by Onslaught Six »

I'll have to check, but I seem to remember it differently. (I have the whole latter end of G1 in the Titan trades. Except that damn first part.)
BWprowl wrote:The internet having this many different words to describe nerdy folks is akin to the whole eskimos/ice situation, I would presume.
People spend so much time worrying about whether a figure is "mint" or not that they never stop to consider other flavours.
Dominic
Supreme-Class

Post by Dominic »

Wait, Mindwipe brainwashed Vorath? Really?

Zarak was not forgotten in the Furman run. The naming convention, (using Scorponok's name), was deliberate. Zarak is mentioned and shown prominently more than once in the arc leading up to his death.

If anything, they forgot the heads left behind on Nebulous existed. And, Furman said he will pick that thread up in the retro-G1 book.

Dom
-and now to that thread?
Gomess
Supreme-Class

Post by Gomess »

"The powers of darkness are a more powerful* ally than all your science can muster. Now... unite with me!"
[Mindwipe does glowy eyes at Vorath, whose eyes glow back]
"Ahh, yesss massterrr..."

*Ok, I only vaguely remember this, but I'm pretty sure he says "power" twice in that short a space. Some of The Rebirth had good writing. This bit? Not so much.
COME TO TFVIEWS oh you already did
andersonh1

Post by andersonh1 »

Onslaught Six wrote:
andersonh1 wrote:It all holds together fairly well, despite the more overt than usual toy commercial roots of the cartoon. I think I prefer the small Transformer/Transtector version of Headmasters seen over in the Japanese cartoon, since having organic Nebulons inside the guns and heads is a tough to swallow concept once it plays out on screen.
See, here's the thing--I prefer it sometimes and then I don't prefer it. For example, and I know G might call this blasphemy, I much prefer the Marvel Comics Scorponok to anything else I've seen done with the guy (besides Maximum Dinobots). The way Zarak and Scorponok learned to cooperate made it so that, by the time of his death, they were one complete being. (Which led credence to the same happening to Optimus Prime and Hi-Q, another thing I didn't seem to mind, though I much prefer Ginrai.)
I guess the Marvel comic version would be option three, and it seems more plausible to me than the cartoon, which just shows Nebulons (and Spike and Daniel) sitting inside the head or putting on a suit and transforming, with no physical damage at all. At least in the Marvel (and IDW version for that matter) there's major integration of the organic and machine, making them cyborgs. That works pretty well, in my opinion. So I guess it's the visual execution of the concept that doesn't quite work with me in The Rebirth.

On the other hand, it's interesting to see the Targetmasters threaten Galvatron, and to see the Autobot Headmaster components ditch the Autobots in part 3. Transformers with independent heads is a concept that could have some mileage, which isn't going to be seen with the Transtectors.
andersonh1

Post by andersonh1 »

The Return of Optimus Prime

The title certainly gets right to the point, doesn’t it? It’s about as direct as the narrator’s comments at the end of “Dark Awakening”. Is Optimus Prime really dead? Find out in tomorrow’s exciting episode, “The Return of Optimus Prime”! Hmmm… I wonder what’s going to happen? Kidding aside, this is one of my favorite season three stories.

That being said, the story is not without flaws. “Dark Awakening” shows a badly damaged Optimus Prime, his ship under heavy Quintesson fire, holding steady until the ship crashes into the Quintesson’s rigged asteroid and detonates it. “Return of Optimus Prime” gives us a ship and Prime in pristine condition (apart from Prime being dead of course), with no sign of attack. The two humans who find the ship heading for the planet have five peaceful minutes to board the ship and rescue Prime. So the continuity is not airtight. But the heat-resistant metal will prove vital to the plot before all is said and done, in more ways than one.

Things happen in short order. The irrational scientists Swafford and Morgan plot to use Optimus Prime to trap and destroy the other Autobots. If not for the fact that he’s a machine, it would be creepy how these two are essentially experimenting on a corpse. Ugh. These two mad scientists are even willing to release the hate plague spores to get their revenge, giving no thought to what will happen when those spores start to spread. How many people are killed thanks to what these two do? How much property is destroyed? We only get hints onscreen, but logically the loss of life would be massive. These men aren’t held responsible in any way for the fact that the plague multiplies rapidly and spreads across the world. And of course, it spreads across the galaxy despite the vast distances that are impossible to cover in such a short time, but since this is hardly the first time the show has completely ignored time and distance I’ll just let that one pass.

The running theme of Rodimus Prime feeling overwhelmed by the job continues here. His strike force to retrieve the body of Optimus is oddly large given that they’re only going up against two humans, but I guess Rodimus isn’t taking any chances. The story takes a great dramatic turn when Ultra Magnus and the Aerialbots are infected, and things start to rapidly spiral out of control. Defensor doesn’t escape for long, and neither do the Decepticons. Galvatron’s line about being out of place among madmen is hilarious considering his mental state. The episode doesn’t pull any punches as even lead character Rodimus Prime is infected and it becomes clear that no one is safe.

Ultimately it takes a Quintesson to revive Optimus Prime. I wonder how sparks would fit into this G1 universe? Prime looks a little weak since he has no plan without the McGuffin of Leadership, but since he needs information that only the Matrix holds, his need for it here actually makes sense. The plan to make Optimus impervious to the spores makes sense given the logic of the plot, but I wonder how he can see if his eyes are coated with impenetrable metal? The underground trek on Chaar to retrieve the metal is pure filler, but at least Bumblebee/Goldbug’s voice actor gets something to do again. Galvatron once again shows his utter disregard for humans, and it costs him as he is infected by one.

The final act shows how Optimus is often beaten just because he holds back. He takes Rodimus out pretty quick once he finally gets mad and starts really trying. And I note that Optimus is able to use the Matrix without shorting himself out, as Rodimus had to do in FFOD. I used to wonder why the Matrix wasn’t infected if Rodimus was, but in a weird sort of way it makes sense that it isn’t, and gives us our first clue about how the madness plague will be ended. Playing “The Touch” and repeating the “darkest hour” lines from the movie create a bookend to the third season and along with the more detailed art, show that this episode was meant to be something a little more epic than usual.

This would have made a good final episode to The Transformers. Galvatron’s sanity seems restored, he actually acknowledges respect for Prime and shakes his hand. The future looks bright, if tinged with uncertainty, and Optimus Prime has returned and saved everyone. Despite the gaps in logic and some suspect characterization here and there, “The Return of Optimus Prime” is still a genuinely large and action-packed story, and I still enjoy it to this day, twenty-something years after I first saw it.
andersonh1

Post by andersonh1 »

Dominic wrote:Zarak was not forgotten in the Furman run. The naming convention, (using Scorponok's name), was deliberate. Zarak is mentioned and shown prominently more than once in the arc leading up to his death.
Yeah, Marvel Comics' Scorponok was more Zarak than Scorponok, at least when the head was detached from the larger body.
andersonh1

Post by andersonh1 »

Call of the Primitives
Grimlock saves the universe! Woo!

So, if I'm seeing this story right, the Matrix was once Primacron's assistant? And this little guy created Unicron? At least Grimlock makes fun of him so I don't have to. The animation models are a little off in this episode, but the animation itself is detailed and better than normal. Not bad. And any story in season 3 that gives the Dinobots a good role has to be appreciated.

The Burden Hardest to Bear
Yeah, that Japanese minster is a politician all right. Too stupid to attack the real enemies, and instead goes after his allies. I could compare him to certain American politicians, but I'll refrain. Rodimus has come close to letting the strain of leadership get to him on more than one occasion, and it finally happens as he loses the Matrix and welcomes that fact. He's written well, as someone thrust into leadership with no warning and no real desire for the role, but who steps up when he has to.

Funniest line goes to Galvatron: You dropped it didn't you! You broke the Matrix!
Runner up: Scourge: You promised to return the Matrix. Galvatron: I lied!!!
138 Scourge
Supreme-Class

Post by 138 Scourge »

andersonh1 wrote:Call of the Primitives
Grimlock saves the universe! Woo!

So, if I'm seeing this story right, the Matrix was once Primacron's assistant? And this little guy created Unicron? At least Grimlock makes fun of him so I don't have to. The animation models are a little off in this episode, but the animation itself is detailed and better than normal. Not bad. And any story in season 3 that gives the Dinobots a good role has to be appreciated.
No lie, I'll take the Primacron origin for Unicron over the Furman-penned one any day of the week. The execution may not have been the best, but I like the idea of Unicron being a machine that just got way the hell outta control better than him being some kind of god trapped in a metal meteor. Also, really dug this episode back in the day. Not only do you have the Dinobots, but the Predacons, the lesser-seen animal tapes, the Terrorcons...man, all sorts of cool characters were in this one. I'm pretty sure I just flipped out the first time I saw this one.

Burden Hardest to Bear is pretty neat, too. Provided me with my default avatar, so it's gotta have something going for it.
Dominic wrote: too many people likely would have enjoyed it as....well a house-elf gang-bang.
Mako Crab
Supreme-Class

Post by Mako Crab »

andersonh1 wrote:Call of the Primitives
So, if I'm seeing this story right, the Matrix was once Primacron's assistant?
It's a bit confusing. Primacron has an actual assistant that looks something like a gorilla. This gorilla-bot has the Matrix inside him. Make of that what you will.