Dumb fans think Furman should write G1 #81 and beyond.

The originals... ok, not exactly, but the original named "The TransFormers" anyway. Take THAT, Diaclone!
Generation 1, Generation 2 - Removable fists? Check. Unlicensed vehicle modes? Check. Kickass tape deck robot with transforming cassette minions? DOUBLE CHECK!!!
Onslaught Six
Supreme-Class

Re: Dumb fans think Furman should write G1 #81 and beyond.

Post by Onslaught Six »

Dominic wrote:It sounds to me like "Armada am teh suck so it died lololololololololol". Unless you are talking about the Universe that the dead Prime came from, in which case it stops being GeeWunnery, but still sounds kind of fannish.
As currently written, it'd need a hell of a lot of retconning to even be possible.
It is more like being a Star Trek fan and not getting a Pon-Far or Space Lincoln reference or not knowing that "Beam me up Scotty" is a phantom quote.
It's more like being a comics fan and not knowing about Watchmen. An important footnote, but still kind of easy to miss. (After all, I hadn't really heard about it until I heard the movie was being made.)
Do we really need current comics to be giving obscure call-backs to, let along actually being tied into plots from, comics that were published 7+ years ago? Who does that really help aside from hard-core fans who need their egos stroked with referecnes that only they would get? Hell, I am arguably the biggest UT fan on this board, and I think it would be a terrible idea.
I think it would be a terrible idea too! I never said it was a good idea. I just think it'd be hilarious. (I can't exactly be trusted to like things that are good. After all, I bought the original American Gladiators on DVD.)
At a more basic level, are we really turning in to the type of fandom where fans are expected to know every obscure references, including covers from 25+ years ago? Hell, even I could not tell you who painted that cover.
Neither do I! I do know that it's boss though.
BWprowl wrote:The internet having this many different words to describe nerdy folks is akin to the whole eskimos/ice situation, I would presume.
People spend so much time worrying about whether a figure is "mint" or not that they never stop to consider other flavours.
BWprowl
Supreme-Class

Post by BWprowl »

Dominic wrote:Yeah, all the retards who do not get a reference to a comic from how many years ago? Oh yeah, total fucking noobs. We totally need a mainline comic building on obscure references.

This is exactly the shit that I am talking about when I complain that the hobby is getting too self-indulgent and insular.
That was actually my point, as it was meant to be a jab at the people that get into TF, then only pay attention to the Geewun stuff and completely ignore all the other series.

And that goes both ways! The people with exclusive interest in Beast Wars or Animated or whatever are just as bad/crazy.
I swear, there were people on /toy/ the other day who neither knew that Shockwave's altmode was a Giant Space Gun, nor what 'Are All Dead' was.
Chumps. They call themselves fans when they do not get references that are 25+ years old. Yeah, the information is there, and apparently being a fan mandates that somebody spend hours on the wiki just reading up on stuff. Yeah, I like the cover to Marvel issue 5 as much as anyone, but I do not see getting the reference as being *that* important.
I'll give you that "Are All Dead" isn't super-important, but come on, how can you not know what Shockwave's altmode is? That's just lazy. That's like my concurrent point with Jazz and Prowl's G1 toys. At no point in their whining did these people say, "Wow, that Generations Jazz sure looks like Prowl. I wonder if G1 Jazz's toy was like that too? I suppose I could spend three seconds Googling it or something." I mean, you're a fan of *Transformers*, robots that *transform* into stuff. If you're just getting in and you hear people go on about a fan-favorite like Shockwave, one of your first instincts isn't to look on TFwiki for a split second to at least find out what the dude turns into? (and incidentally, look at just look at the first image TFwiki gives you on Shockwave's page). I dunno, I really do hate to throw around 'true fan' talk, but a lot of these people come across like posers who don't care about TF nearly as much as they try to act like they do.

I mean, when I was a kid just getting into the fandom, I really DID spend hours reading up on TFs, just because I liked it *that much*. And this was before we had a legitimate wiki, I was perusing transcribed TFU profiles on Unicron.com and looking at their pictures of old toys (really I was mostly interested in the toys, as I always have been). If TFwiki had been around when I was in middle/high school, I really would never have gotten anything done then.
EDIT: Oh fuck and then there was the guy who got Warpath because he thought he was a Decepticon, then got pissed off once he had him in hand and realized he was an Autobot, since he "didn't look like one". Yeah.
Actually, yeah, that is pretty stupid. (Look at the damned package, or even the product listings.)

Like I told ya, you'd be surprised. Warpath caught this level of stupid at least twice actually, since there was another guy who didn't want him because he thought he was another repaint of Straxus.
But I digress. Heh, I kind of like the idea that the 'Dead Universe' Galvatron and Nova Prime discovered was actually the Armada Universe.
200 words or less, how? (I smell fanfic.)

I dunno, it just seems like a dumb, silly idea that Furman would actually attempt. Have we ever actually seen inside the Dead Universe? Maybe they just call it that and it's perfectly alive. Arcee and Springer seemed okay, at any rate. For all we know they just become 'un-killable' because once they jump universes they get quantum-displaced or some stupid shit like that. Oh, and on top of that, it's hinted as having a strong connection to Unicron. And where did Unicron's essence spend a lot of time a few years ago? That's right.

Well shit, there you go: The Dead Universe is the Unicron Trilogy Universe, after having been finally completely consumed by the Unicron Singularity. I am a goddamn writer and IDW should hire me right now.

It's kind of funny to see Dom call me out on some of that, considering he's the guy who thinks kids shouldn't even be allowed to buy the toys.
Shockwave
Supreme-Class

Post by Shockwave »

BWprowl wrote:
I swear, there were people on /toy/ the other day who neither knew that Shockwave's altmode was a Giant Space Gun, nor what 'Are All Dead' was.
Chumps. They call themselves fans when they do not get references that are 25+ years old. Yeah, the information is there, and apparently being a fan mandates that somebody spend hours on the wiki just reading up on stuff. Yeah, I like the cover to Marvel issue 5 as much as anyone, but I do not see getting the reference as being *that* important.
I'll give you that "Are All Dead" isn't super-important, but come on, how can you not know what Shockwave's altmode is? That's just lazy. That's like my concurrent point with Jazz and Prowl's G1 toys. At no point in their whining did these people say, "Wow, that Generations Jazz sure looks like Prowl. I wonder if G1 Jazz's toy was like that too? I suppose I could spend three seconds Googling it or something." I mean, you're a fan of *Transformers*, robots that *transform* into stuff. If you're just getting in and you hear people go on about a fan-favorite like Shockwave, one of your first instincts isn't to look on TFwiki for a split second to at least find out what the dude turns into? (and incidentally, look at just look at the first image TFwiki gives you on Shockwave's page). I dunno, I really do hate to throw around 'true fan' talk, but a lot of these people come across like posers who don't care about TF nearly as much as they try to act like they do.

I mean, when I was a kid just getting into the fandom, I really DID spend hours reading up on TFs, just because I liked it *that much*. And this was before we had a legitimate wiki, I was perusing transcribed TFU profiles on Unicron.com and looking at their pictures of old toys (really I was mostly interested in the toys, as I always have been). If TFwiki had been around when I was in middle/high school, I really would never have gotten anything done then.
I can forgive the "Are All Dead" referrence, but still not Shockwave. I'm sorry, but I think Shockwave is an important enough character to the franchise that even casual fans should be familiar with him. And especially in this day and age of the internet where everybody has access to be instant experts on everything in a moment is just unforgiveable.

As for the tfwiki, I would find Wikipedia itself more reliable on account of the self indulgent entries over at the tfwiki.
Onslaught Six
Supreme-Class

Post by Onslaught Six »

BWprowl wrote:Like I told ya, you'd be surprised. Warpath caught this level of stupid at least twice actually, since there was another guy who didn't want him because he thought he was another repaint of Straxus.
To be fair: Other franchises 'do not' have this level of commitment given to them. Try finding a TFwiki or TFU.info-level resource for Power Rangers toys. Fuck, they didn't even know if they were getting a new Megazord last year until it 'showed up in stores.' (I am not kidding.)
Well shit, there you go: The Dead Universe is the Unicron Trilogy Universe, after having been finally completely consumed by the Unicron Singularity. I am a goddamn writer and IDW should hire me right now.
Hey! It was *my* idea!

They'd never do this, though. And they shouldn't. Unless it's in a noncanon sidestory.
It's kind of funny to see Dom call me out on some of that, considering he's the guy who thinks kids shouldn't even be allowed to buy the toys.
So, wait, if children aren't allowed to buy the toys...and the hobby shouldn't be insular to the adult fans...who are they for, again?
Shockwave wrote:As for the tfwiki, I would find Wikipedia itself more reliable on account of the self indulgent entries over at the tfwiki.
You know, as a resource, I can't fault TFWiki. Yeah, the snark can get in the way of some of the goofier articles, but you can read Shockwave's entry and, with the exception of the captions (which I always liked) everything will be played straight.
BWprowl wrote:The internet having this many different words to describe nerdy folks is akin to the whole eskimos/ice situation, I would presume.
People spend so much time worrying about whether a figure is "mint" or not that they never stop to consider other flavours.
Mako Crab
Supreme-Class

Post by Mako Crab »

BWprowl wrote: I mean, when I was a kid just getting into the fandom, I really DID spend hours reading up on TFs, just because I liked it *that much*. And this was before we had a legitimate wiki, I was perusing transcribed TFU profiles on Unicron.com and looking at their pictures of old toys (really I was mostly interested in the toys, as I always have been). If TFwiki had been around when I was in middle/high school, I really would never have gotten anything done then.
I know what you mean. When I first got into the fandom back around '96, I couldn't even remember the names of the Stunticons and had never seen G1 season 3. One of the first big fan sites that I found was Raksha's "The Serpent's Lair", which was just loaded down with information. But for the life of me I couldn't remember Soundwave having ever had a female cassette named Serena. ;) But you know, I do miss those smaller personally run fan sites. Maybe it's just me, but I don't see too many of them around anymore with all the big mega TF sites kind of dominating the scene.
Dominic
Supreme-Class

Post by Dominic »

I dunno, I really do hate to throw around 'true fan' talk, but a lot of these people come across like posers who don't care about TF nearly as much as they try to act like they do.
If I were a new fan, I would probably avoid that wiki as well. It is too heavy with in-jokes and minutia.

When I got into 40K, all those many years ago, I did not make a concerted effort to do research. I was pretty sure that the Emperor himself was just a legend in context, despite being a fan of the novels and comics for about a year before reading "Eye of Terror", which showed otherwise.
No. Dammit. No.
So, wait, if children aren't allowed to buy the toys...and the hobby shouldn't be insular to the adult fans...who are they for, again?
Not seeing what this has to do with anything. But, I am fine with kids buying the toys, after collectors have had a shot. (Hey, I want my toys dammit.)

But you know, I do miss those smaller personally run fan sites. Maybe it's just me, but I don't see too many of them around anymore with all the big mega TF sites kind of dominating the scene.
Those mega sites started off smaller.

Dom
-how many pages about a series that has not even started yet?
Shockwave
Supreme-Class

Post by Shockwave »

Dominic wrote:Dom
Yeah but how many of those pages are actually about said series? This site is the king of derailed threads y'know?
Onslaught Six
Supreme-Class

Post by Onslaught Six »

Shockwave wrote:
Yeah but how many of those pages are actually about said series? This site is the king of derailed threads y'know?
TFVIews: Welcoming all views from the Transformers community, including entirely offtopic ones.
Shockwave
Supreme-Class

Post by Shockwave »

Onslaught Six wrote:
Shockwave wrote:
TFVIews: Welcoming all views from the Transformers community, including entirely offtopic ones.
:lol: that should totally be the site motto!
andersonh1

Post by andersonh1 »

I hadn't jumped in on this discussion before, but I like the idea of continuing the Marvel G1 continuity. I like what IDW has going, and would like to see it continue, but at the same time I always felt that Marvel G1 ended just when it was getting good. I honestly wouldn't mind going back and seeing what Furman had planned, though I'd rather see a continuation of G2, truth be told. But I think Furman isn't too fond of that series these days, sadly.