Dumb fans think Furman should write G1 #81 and beyond.

The originals... ok, not exactly, but the original named "The TransFormers" anyway. Take THAT, Diaclone!
Generation 1, Generation 2 - Removable fists? Check. Unlicensed vehicle modes? Check. Kickass tape deck robot with transforming cassette minions? DOUBLE CHECK!!!
Mako Crab
Supreme-Class

Re: Dumb fans think Furman should write G1 #81 and beyond.

Post by Mako Crab »

Dominic wrote:
I'm gonna' laugh when all the people rush out to pick up TF 81 and none of the '84, '85 cast is in it.
If this follows the pattern of the "GI Joe" continuation, there will be a few point that carry over from the original run, (Action Masters or Unicron's destruction), and then the book will fall into a stasis quo.

I admit to being curious. But, my hopes are sensibly low.

Dom
-off to a wrestling show.
Understandably so. How does a person pick up where they left off 20 years ago and expect to recreate the same feel? Not even George Lucas could do that, and he was footing all the money and calling all the shots. And how much new TF mythology (sparks) is going to get retro actively worked in? Does he limit himself to just the toys/characters that were around at the time or does he incorporate new additions to the G1 universe like Lugnut? How soon before everyone starts ditching their old alt-modes for something from Classics or Universe? Basically, how soon before the "old Marvel comic" starts looking modern and new? And when that happens, then what becomes of that old feeling of nostalgia? Because really, nostalgia is what's driving this book.
Onslaught Six
Supreme-Class

Post by Onslaught Six »

There's a qualifier, though--"beyond" is only up until Issue 100, they said, yes? I would assume that, even if it somehow sells like gangbusters, they wouldn't make it go past that. That timeframe (20 issues) is actually a very good chunk to allow Furman to tell his story without it getting bogged down with too much BS.

That said, there's an implied timeskip so I wouldn't be surprised to see them going ahead and getting all that stuff out of the way at the beginning.

As an aside: I'm not paying attention to the Joe book at all. Does it 'look' like it continues on from 1994? Artwise, I mean. Or does it just look like every other comic IDW does now?
BWprowl wrote:The internet having this many different words to describe nerdy folks is akin to the whole eskimos/ice situation, I would presume.
People spend so much time worrying about whether a figure is "mint" or not that they never stop to consider other flavours.
Dominic
Supreme-Class

Post by Dominic »

The art in the retro-Joe book is fine. It splits the difference between pre-issue 100 "GI Joe" and moder art, neatly skipping the text book bad-90s art of the last 40 or so issues.

I doubt that Furman will put the energy or effort into doing anything stylized enough to be good retro. He will most likely pick up with some event focused drivel. (Hama did with retro-Joe.) If this book follows the retro-Joe pattern, the characters will most likely be in original, or then-current, forms. For example, Grimlock might be an Action Master. Prime might be a Power Master. But, neither will resemble modern IDW or CHUG. This series could very fast become stagnant.

On another note, cancelling the book around issue 100 would mean that they can cancel it right in time for the (probable) move 4 titles.....

Dom
-still, chin up now!
Tigermegatron
Supreme-Class

Post by Tigermegatron »

Dominic wrote:The art in the retro-Joe book is fine. It splits the difference between pre-issue 100 "GI Joe" and moder art, neatly skipping the text book bad-90s art of the last 40 or so issues.

I doubt that Furman will put the energy or effort into doing anything stylized enough to be good retro. He will most likely pick up with some event focused drivel. (Hama did with retro-Joe.) If this book follows the retro-Joe pattern, the characters will most likely be in original, or then-current, forms. For example, Grimlock might be an Action Master. Prime might be a Power Master. But, neither will resemble modern IDW or CHUG. This series could very fast become stagnant.

On another note, cancelling the book around issue 100 would mean that they can cancel it right in time for the (probable) move 4 titles.....
Dom
-still, chin up now!
Optimus prime got his PMOP Body destroyed using the matrix to defeat unicron. Before optimus got destroyed,somehow his mind/memories got transferred to his powermaster nebulan partner HI-Q. the last autobot was able to sperate & merge the minds/memories of HI-Q & Optimus Prime,then the last autobot built a diaclone looking optimus prime body using him mind & creating matter/materials from nothingness.

My guess is the marvel/IDW continuation for issues #81 thru #100 will deal with the whole optimus & HI-Q's minds merging ordeal. then we'll be getting the effects of how nucleon has on certain transformers,as it according to simon's bible affects everyone differently.
the ark did have several beyond damaged autobots in nucleon liquid tanks,so we'll be seeing them all in the contination.

Fortmax defeated galvatron,so fort max can be in the continuation. galvatron & megatron were seen ganging up on shockwave,so their no knowing if they killed him or just badly damaged him.

From the looks of it,bludgeon & his crew were the most powerful decepticons running around & were the only ones shown to have a large assembled group. so their likely to be in the continuation quite heavily.

Since G.I Joes & the cobras were heavily in the G-1 TF Marvel comics. I'd expect to see a few joes & cobras in this contination. since IDW currently owns the new comics rights to G.I Joe & TF,& Since IDW is doing retro comics for G.I Joe & TF. iT WOULDN'T be a shocker to see idw taking advanatage of this & having G.I Joe/cobras in the TF continuation.

I don't expect to see the Swarm nor do I expect to see Jhiaxus nor His crew nor the hub featured in the continuation.

I expect to see galvatron making a come back,since he's so powerful he can survive the beating he took from fort max.

I expect to see bumblebee heavily in the contination as hasbro will insist he get put in their with a huge starring core part. as hasbro is all bumblebee these days.

I expect to see rodimus,prowl,grimlock,ultra magnus,galvatron,as these appear to be simon furmans all time favorite TF characters to write about & put into almost all his TF realted comics.

other characters getting thrown in the mix will most likely be as follows: Sixshot,springer,kup,arcee,cyclonus,scourge,jetfire,predacons,etc...
Onslaught Six
Supreme-Class

Post by Onslaught Six »

Tigermegatron wrote:Optimus prime got his PMOP Body destroyed using the matrix to defeat unicron. Before optimus got destroyed,somehow his mind/memories got transferred to his powermaster nebulan partner HI-Q. the last autobot was able to sperate & merge the minds/memories of HI-Q & Optimus Prime,then the last autobot built a diaclone looking optimus prime body using him mind & creating matter/materials from nothingness.
No; the Last Autobot turned the Hi-Q body into Action Master Prime.
I expect to see galvatron making a come back,since he's so powerful he can survive the beating he took from fort max.
Except Galvatron is dead forever, for two reasons: 1) Time Wars, period. 2) Unicron is dead in 1991, therefore he isn't around in 2006 to create Galvatron in the first place. Furthermore, Unicron is the only one who can randomly pull alternate Galvatrons out of his butt, and he is, once again, dead since 1991.
BWprowl wrote:The internet having this many different words to describe nerdy folks is akin to the whole eskimos/ice situation, I would presume.
People spend so much time worrying about whether a figure is "mint" or not that they never stop to consider other flavours.
Tigermegatron
Supreme-Class

Post by Tigermegatron »

Onslaught Six wrote:
Tigermegatron wrote:Optimus prime got his PMOP Body destroyed using the matrix to defeat unicron. Before optimus got destroyed,somehow his mind/memories got transferred to his powermaster nebulan partner HI-Q. the last autobot was able to sperate & merge the minds/memories of HI-Q & Optimus Prime,then the last autobot built a diaclone looking optimus prime body using him mind & creating matter/materials from nothingness.
Except Galvatron is dead forever, for two reasons: 1) Time Wars, period. 2) Unicron is dead in 1991, therefore he isn't around in 2006 to create Galvatron in the first place. Furthermore, Unicron is the only one who can randomly pull alternate Galvatrons out of his butt, and he is, once again, dead since 1991.
(1) Yes the UK Marvel TF G-1 time wars galvatron did die in the comics but that was way before issue #75 of the USA TF marvel comics. this UK Time wars galvatron came from the future but always existed in our universe/alternate universe. he wasn't a dimension traveler. he was only a time traveler.

(1a) The Galvatron we see running around in issue #75 is a entirely different galvatron than the time wars one. their was a second galvatron pulled from another dimension in which the decepticons won,galvatron defeated rodimus prime in the future. and where galvatron put rodimus primes dead body between the 2 twin towers in New york city.

(1b) the reason why the alternate universe galvatron is so pissed off at the marvel comics usa issue #75 unicron. is because galvatron is fed up,he already completed his mission & won in his own alternate universe. but unicron won't leave him alone & wants him to do the same in this alternate universe marvel comics usa universe he was captured & thrown in.

(2) Transformers in the Marvel comics,were shown with the ability to self heal & to self repair after they got battle damage. apparently self healing kicks into within a transformer in the marvel comics & they begin to heal & become like new over time. examples of this: Megatron got extensive battle damage in issue #25 during the space bridge explosion. in issue #59 megatron revealed it took him a long time for his body to self repair itself & for his mind to remember who he was.

(2a) Unicron is not the only one who can repair & un-bury galvatron from a grave/tomb/icy imprionment. their was a evil alien in the 1991 "Return of convoy/battle stars. that un-buried & repaired the japanese headmasters cartoon series Galvatron from his icy grave & repaired him & rebuilt him into super megatron,then into ultra galvatron, lastly the alien merged with megatron to form a even powerful megatron entity.
Tigermegatron
Supreme-Class

Post by Tigermegatron »

Onslaught Six wrote:
Yes,I am aware that the last autobot gave optimus prime the action master body. which was the design of the diaclone optimus prime body.

I am also aware that the last autobot used HI-Q's body as the base for the optimus body. however the action master optimus body was over 40 feet tall & the last autobot needed more stuff beyond the 6 foot tall nebulan body to construct optimus prime's action master body.

It was never officially confirmed that optimus prime became a Action master & counldn't transform anymore. even though the body did look like the action master optimus prime robot design. it was never confirmed that the other autobots who got rebuilt by the last autobot became action masters & couldn't transform anymore. In the generation 2 comic optimus & some of the autobots that the last autobot rebuilt have the ability to transform into their alt modes.

Simon Furman stated in various on-line & books/magazines interviews,that he had all the gimmicks hasbro wanted him to turn the transformers into while he was writting the marvel USA G-1 TF comics. that's why he barely used the gimmicks & he was hoping everything would go back to normal. their was a lot of 1988,1989 & 1990 transformers running around in the marvel usa g-1 TF comics without their "masters" type gimmicks.