More than Meets the Eye (IDW ongoing comic)

The modern comics universe has had such a different take on G1, one that's significantly represented by the Generations toys, so they share a forum. A modern take on a Real Cybertronian Hero. Currently starring Generations toys, IDW "The Transformers" comics, MTMTE, TF vs GI Joe, and Windblade. Oh wait, and now Skybound, wheee!
andersonh1

Re: More than Meets the Eye (IDW ongoing comic)

Post by andersonh1 »

Dominic wrote:The
Spoiler
quantum doublesd ship
also provides an explanation for the epilogue with the Necrobot. The
Spoiler
list of dead he was carrying
would have been a list of
Spoiler
casualties from the "other" Lost Light
Ah, yes, perfect explanation. Good job catching that.
Sparky Prime
Supreme-Class

Post by Sparky Prime »

Dominic wrote:The
Spoiler
quantum doublesd ship
Spoiler
Spoiler
Yeah, Roberts confirmed that list was for the other Lost Light his Twitter.
JediTricks
Site Admin

Post by JediTricks »

Dominic wrote:Sorry about the accidental spoiler in the other thread. (I thought you were caught up.)
I hadn't read it at the time, but I knew it was a spoiler so I tried to avoid, it's on me chiefly (although it was a discussion wholly about the wrong title so one would have some relative expectation of separation).
the story getting there held up, and the cheaty way Roberts did it at least didn't try to dick around about it being a cheat
A cheat is a cheat. Foo-foo
Spoiler
"the power of love"
is arguably more offensive than "he is close enough to the quantum engine that...."
That wasn't the official explanation, just one character's justification for something they couldn't understand.
But, there really needs to be more payoff than
Spoiler
Rewind is back
in this case. Of course, as the last page shows, the arc ain't over yet.
Spoiler
Raising a character just to re-kill him
would be stupid, but it would be better than
Spoiler
just raising a character
The payoff is learning that someone on board is a Decepticon traitor that, given alternate circumstances, would have made moves against the crew previously but didn't, so is now a serious danger.
The
Spoiler
quantum doublesd ship
Spoiler
Spoiler
Yup, that's how I took it.
See, that one's a camcorder, that one's a camera, that one's a phone, and they're doing "Speak no evil, See no evil, Hear no evil", get it?
Dominic
Supreme-Class

Post by Dominic »

The payoff is learning that someone on board is a Decepticon traitor that, given alternate circumstances, would have made moves against the crew previously but didn't, so is now a serious danger.
They could have done that without bringing a character back through quantum time-wank.
JediTricks
Site Admin

Post by JediTricks »

Dominic wrote:
They could have done that without bringing a character back through quantum time-wank.
They could have not left Cybertron at all by that thinking.
See, that one's a camcorder, that one's a camera, that one's a phone, and they're doing "Speak no evil, See no evil, Hear no evil", get it?
BWprowl
Supreme-Class

Post by BWprowl »

Okay, so remember waaaaaay back in the third issue when I took...issue with an apparent plot-hole, the thing about the warp engines sucking Ore in and causing the explosion, then Rodimus letting the Sparkeater get sucked in and them not malfunctioning? Well it actually jogged my memory of it again because they brought it up again in this latest issue by letting us know that the 'other' Rodimus did the same thing with the same no-explosion result, save for in this case his head got sliced open and he died.

Anyway, it made me go back and review the discussion we had about the issue when it first came up, and check this out:
BWprowl wrote:
Dominic wrote:As for the plot hole: I do not think that it was Ore being phased in to the wall that caused the explosion.
Re-checked issue 2 last night: Brainstorm says that Ore getting sucked in is what caused the Warp Generator to malfunction. I took it to mean that that's why the engine exploded, but I admit to not being an expert on the technicalities of fictional alien robot space-ships. I'll go ahead and give Roberts the benefit of the doubt on this one, at least since he led off with Brainstorm saying that Perceptor wasn't entirely sure Ore getting phased in was why the drive malfunctioned in the first place.
Brainstorm says that Ore getting sucked in is what caused the Warp Generator to malfunction.
Brainstorm says
Fuck me.
JediTricks
Site Admin

Post by JediTricks »

BWprowl wrote:Okay, so remember waaaaaay back in the third issue when I took...issue with an apparent plot-hole, the thing about the warp engines sucking Ore in and causing the explosion, then Rodimus letting the Sparkeater get sucked in and them not malfunctioning? Well it actually jogged my memory of it again because they brought it up again in this latest issue by letting us know that the 'other' Rodimus did the same thing with the same no-explosion result, save for in this case his head got sliced open and he died.

Anyway, it made me go back and review the discussion we had about the issue when it first came up, and check this out:
BWprowl wrote:
Dominic wrote:As for the plot hole: I do not think that it was Ore being phased in to the wall that caused the explosion.
Re-checked issue 2 last night: Brainstorm says that Ore getting sucked in is what caused the Warp Generator to malfunction. I took it to mean that that's why the engine exploded, but I admit to not being an expert on the technicalities of fictional alien robot space-ships. I'll go ahead and give Roberts the benefit of the doubt on this one, at least since he led off with Brainstorm saying that Perceptor wasn't entirely sure Ore getting phased in was why the drive malfunctioned in the first place.
Brainstorm says that Ore getting sucked in is what caused the Warp Generator to malfunction.
Brainstorm says
Fuck me.
HOLY SHIT THAT IS AWESOME!!! Well presented.
andersonh1

Post by andersonh1 »

How did quantum duplicate Rewind survive if everyone else on board died? That seems very convenient.
BWprowl
Supreme-Class

Post by BWprowl »

andersonh1 wrote:How did quantum duplicate Rewind survive if everyone else on board died? That seems very convenient.
One easy argument is that when the quantum conundrum 'resolved' itself, and restored everyone, Rewind was able to stick around because his 'other' self was already dead, as opposed to vice-versa like everyone else who was effected. Now granted, that still brings up why it just *happened* to be Rewind who was the sole survivor of the massacre, but then the answer is already as you said: To conveniently allow him to come back after dying previously. It's hard to say how much Roberts intended for this to be the story, though one thing I will give him is that he seems to plan things pretty well in advance (especially if this engine-malfunction thing with Brainstorm plays out), so it's entirely possible this was his plan all along and he's going somewhere further with it.

No one's talked about the most recent issue yet. It was...okay. Decent backstory on Megatron, but the 'present' part of it was really drawn out and flip-floppy (First Aid goes on and on about helping those in need, regardless of who they are or what their faction is, only to change his tune at the last minute. Way to cherry-pick your principles, jerk), and the whole thing (both the 'past' and 'present' parts) ended very abruptly, with the bit at the end with Brainstorm being somewhat confusingly presented. Also wasn't crazy about the excerpt from Megatron's writing in the middle. Yeah, thanks Roberts, I really like being told that transforming and altmodes are stupid and liking them as a key element of my favorite franchise of all time makes me a horrible person, that's really great.

I don't understand how Roberts gets such a pass, he comes across as more vindictive towards TF and its concepts than Costa ever did.
andersonh1

Post by andersonh1 »

BWprowl wrote:One easy argument is that when the quantum conundrum 'resolved' itself, and restored everyone, Rewind was able to stick around because his 'other' self was already dead, as opposed to vice-versa like everyone else who was affected.
That makes me wonder about Pipes, who of course died shortly before Rewind did. I guess the poor little guy's bad luck is still holding.
Dominic wrote:It might just be as simple as plot-contrivance. Hopefully not. But, it might be.
That's what I'm wondering. Out of all the casualties of this series so far, why choose Rewind in particular to restore to life?